Home Ratings & Reviews
Options

Reyes' Style Blending 101 (my first cigar/cigars review)

danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
This is my first attempt in doing a cigar review. Rather than doing a regular review, I thought I’d do something a bit different. I’m going to do a cigar blend. You’re all probably wondering how I’m going to do that. Well, here is the “a bit different” part. I will be smoking 2 cigars at the same time. I don’t mean puff at one cigar then the other, no. I mean both cigars simultaneously. I will be blending the 2 and see what kind of results I get.

Cigars.
The cigars I chose are cigars that I’m sure everyone is familiar with. MF robusto and the GH V.2002 robusto. I wanted to see how a spicy earth/ heavy leather full bodied cigar will blend with a stouty/earth chocolaty med body cigar. …….. Shall we?

(I will practically be typing exactly what I noted down on paper. It may be all over the place so pls. bare with me as again, this is my first time doing this. Also I hope you don’t find this as a joke or a waste. I put some time and effort into this. I have also spoken to a few botl prior to get their opinion and thoughts and they thought it was a great idea.) Here we go.

Smoking the 2 at the same time is a lot harder than it sounds. I should have gone with a corona size but too late.
I’m having trouble trying to figure it out. I think it’s because It taste nothing like what they are individually. This goes on for a good 5 min but then ………..
Hello! Exactly what I was expecting! Spicy caramel and molassy leather. Even the aroma is very entertaining. I am bad at describing taste but it’s kind of like a leathery wood covered in a mixture of caramel/chocolate drizzled with pepper. (the draw is still a challenge)

After about 15-20 min the spice is mellowing. It’s now a very pleasant caramel cream and a hint of spice. I can’t quite pick up the finish but it’s very long, smooth.

30-35 min mark (1/3-1/2 The MF was burning faster than the GHV2002). It’s a steady cream and leather with very light spice. The chocolate is still there but more on the caramel side with a bit of nuttyness.
Getting very light headed now. Infact I’m buzzin pretty good. I think I’m done. I have to put them down now.

I’m trying to figure out why these cigars kicked my butt as I’ve smoked them numerous times before. Ha! I just realized that while smoking both cigars, I practically smoked 1 cigar in the same amount of time If I were to smoke ½ a cigar by itself. Does that make sense? Eh

Final notes. It was an interesting experiment. The tasting notes are just what I expected with little surprises coming out here and there. Trying to smoke the 2 cigars simultaneously was a challenge. I don’t think I’ll be attempting to do this experiment again in the near future, nor will I be reviewing cigars again. I’ll leave that to the professionals (you know who you guys are).

Thank you for your time. I hope you all enjoyed. Now I’m going to go eat some candy, lay down and watch some MLB Network.

photo 434C5719-orig.jpg
photo 4A57C08C-orig.jpg
photo 1DDA1E44-orig.jpg
"It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR

Comments

• Options
    jliujliu Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭✭
    Very very unique review man. I enjoyed reading it! Great going on being raw and honest in your experience. Respect for that for sure
  • Options
    macs-smokesmacs-smokes Posts: 587
    Nice review... I will not be trying to smoke 2 simo any time soon. Very interesting read... and hope a meal helps with that buzz.
  • Options
    catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    This is awesome! I commend you Dan
  • Options
    90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Man I LOVE when people think outside the box and do their own unique thing, thought this turned out killer Daniel and really was fun and VERY interesting to read as well! Great job and honestly I would love to see more written reviews from you bro, whether you think you do or don't you actually do have a great talent for describing what the experience is like and for me that is far more important than the individual flavors anyways! Keep up the great work and awesome idea bro ;)
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Options
    BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,645 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like how you're just a little off course...you've been called "unique" before, right? Great job for even trying this daunting task. Loved it!
  • Options
    ehehatehehat Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭
    Hats off to you for even being able to think of this. Very original and loved the review. Thanks bro.
  • Options
    SleevePlzSleevePlz Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭
    I have to admit, I have never even thought of smoking two cigars at a time. Very interesting. Thanks for sharing DZR!
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    RickrollRickroll Posts: 58
    THESE ARE PRIMMMY'S DANIEL, YOU SMOKE THE PRIMMY'S LIKE JHEWEY https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ
  • Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As if reviewing one cigar isn't enough!! Haha. Very cool idea, it sounds as though it actually worked too. I can imagine, as you stated, the draw would be the hardest part. I think id just drool everywhere... nice job, dude.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    Draw, and different burn rate could be difficult.
    Neat.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very unique idea Daniel, but gotta say I'm laughing just a little bit trying to picture you smoking two cigars at the same time.
    Gotta say though, nice attempt even if you didn't nub them .... creative and something I'd never think of trying.

But the one lingering question in my mind is:
    Do 2 robustos = 1 gordo (7x70 RG)?

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    bumping for a botl
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • Options
    youngryan216youngryan216 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭
    Very unique. I dig it. 

My question is, did anyone see your silly ass smoking 2 cigars at the same time? Ahahah
    ISO Ramrod and Ron Mexico
  • Options
    NolagizmoNolagizmo Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dude!
    You are a glutton for punishment why?
    This was way before I joined the forums but you must be mental to try this. I would never encourage it.must have been a challenge. I couldn't do it, but what the hell, you got some good notes down
    "Come party with me in Tennessee for my birthday July we can smoke in the Smokey's."
  • Options
    jarublajarubla Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    DZR, I think two years is enough time since your last thoughts on this type of review.

Perhaps this time you could review two Kelners? 

-Jay
    “There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch