Home Ratings & Reviews

Papas Fritas disappoints

jadeltjadelt Posts: 763 ✭✭
Had my first one the other day. I was expecting a lot more out of it. It was just OK. Probably a 2 or 3 on my 5 scale rating. All related to flavor. Burn was fine, good rich smoke. Maybe it was my attitude. Very blah to me. I heard a lot of good things. It was right out of the B&M so it had no time in MY humidor but I would have thought it would be good to go.

Comments

• gio164gio164 Posts: 180
    I agree, love the no.9 but Papas Fritas is not even close.
  • The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    Let me preface this by saying I jumped off the LP bandwagon some time ago. My feelings were that their consistency didnt warrant their price tag. Much rather enjoy some Viaje or Tatuaje
    I tried the one I got from Trident (Thank You) and thought it was better than I was expecting. Good smoke. Yes it didnt match up to the LP 9 but thought it was an enjoyable smoke nonetheless. I would smoke again but as with all LP stuff, I'm not going out of my way to pick any up,, they pretty much have to fall in my lap.
  • christian1971christian1971 Posts: 467 ✭✭✭
    The Kid:
    Let me preface this by saying I jumped off the LP bandwagon some time ago. My feelings were that their consistency didnt warrant their price tag. Much rather enjoy some Viaje or Tatuaje
    I tried the one I got from Trident (Thank You) and thought it was better than I was expecting. Good smoke. Yes it didnt match up to the LP 9 but thought it was an enjoyable smoke nonetheless. I would smoke again but as with all LP stuff, I'm not going out of my way to pick any up,, they pretty much have to fall in my lap.
    Which of the viaje or tauaje do you recommend? Mind you i love maduros except cao mx2--bleh!
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The price kinda kept me away from those. I would give them a try though, sad to hear it was a disappointment to you! I have heard Lp quality control has suffered, but Ive never smoked enough to run into ta problem (except for some kind of foreign object in an Undercrown).
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • jadeltjadelt Posts: 763 ✭✭
    Gray4lines:
    The price kinda kept me away from those. I would give them a try though, sad to hear it was a disappointment to you! I have heard Lp quality control has suffered, but Ive never smoked enough to run into ta problem (except for some kind of foreign object in an Undercrown).
    I picked up a tin of 4..... I will see how the next one goes after about 30 days in my humi. I sometimes find that my current attitude has as much to do with my experience as the cigar itself. Maybe I will love the next one, but I guarantee that my expectations will be lower.

I really enjoy the Undercrown, and one of the best sticks I ever had was a Feral Flying Pig, but then the setting was with Rain on a nice afternoon.

I do also love the Tatuaje Miami Noellas. One of my favorite go to sticks.
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    The Kid:
    Had my first UC in a long time. It blew up... Maybe it's jsut my bad luck, but it seems like everything DE lately is on Gurkha status.
  • JHeweyJHewey Posts: 2,421 ✭✭✭
    catfishbluezz:
    The Kid:
    Had my first UC in a long time. It blew up... Maybe it's jsut my bad luck, but it seems like everything DE lately is on Gurkha status.
    Wow you and DE do not like each other.. I have had one maybe two issues with an DE product, but out of all the DE stuff i smoked i can deal with one or two.
    JHewey:
    catfishbluezz:
    The Kid:
    Wow you and DE do not like each other.. I have had one maybe two issues with an DE product, but out of all the DE stuff i smoked i can deal with one or two.
    Literally bro, I can think of a dozen that gurkha'ed on me...
  • VisionVision Posts: 7,764 ✭✭✭✭✭
    catfishbluezz:
    JHewey:
    catfishbluezz:
    The Kid:
    Literally bro, I can think of a dozen that gurkha'ed on me...

Ive actually had Gurkha with less issues lately..... Other then UC I have had some burn issues...
    My B&M fell into the Gurkha trap...as in new blends not sold online, probably just rebanded... We've seen at least half a dozen blow up in 6 months and give customers new cigars. When we cut them open, 7x70 stems are all over the place. That company is terrible, save the cellar reserve.
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    catfishbluezz:
    My B&M fell into the Gurkha trap...as in new blends not sold online, probably just rebanded... We've seen at least half a dozen blow up in 6 months and give customers new cigars. When we cut them open, 7x70 stems are all over the place. That company is terrible, save the cellar reserve.
    I think it was a Gurkha Titan that I just had a couple of weeks ago that I pulled a huge string out of before lighting.. Come ON!
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Personally I think Drew Estates is starting to get greedy with the prices. I can't see how they charge so much for a cigar that let's face it is just filled with scraps. And the 9, though it is a very good smoke doesn't warrant the price tag. Not to mention how they manipulate the supply.
    christian1971:
    The Kid:
    Which of the viaje or tauaje do you recommend? Mind you i love maduros except cao mx2--bleh!
    too many,,,,,As a whole I prefer Viaje over Tat, although some of the Pete Johnson My father collaberations are quite good, la riqueza, cabaiguan,,,,,,I recommend trying all of the Viaje stuff,, with Tat start with the el triunfador, miami, black, havana, fausto and their monster stuff,, fwiw i dont like the mx2 either
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    The Kid:
    christian1971:
    The Kid:
    too many,,,,,As a whole I prefer Viaje over Tat, although some of the Pete Johnson My father collaberations are quite good, la riqueza, cabaiguan,,,,,,I recommend trying all of the Viaje stuff,, with Tat start with the el triunfador, miami, black, havana, fausto and their monster stuff,, fwiw i dont like the mx2 either
    Kid, I'm a tat and viaje fan as well but I don't understand your comment about Pete Johnson/My Father collaborations. Tatuajes are made by My Father, or de los habanos Pepins factory prior to opening My Father. There are some exceptions that are made else where but to say that a la riqueza and cabaiguan are collaborations is an odd statement IMHO.

Also the cabaiguan and la riqueza are completely different than normal tats and dpg's IMO, very earthy and not at all to my liking. Not saying they aren't good but they are so different.

Finally I used to LOVE the MX-2 its a different cigar than it was, since CAO was bough by the evil empire I believe most of their cigars have lost something. Maybe it's my changing pallete but the MX-2 used to have something more, I could taste the coffee and chocolate over a nice bourbon, now the bourbon drowns them out.
    madurofan:
    The Kid:
    christian1971:
    The Kid:
    Kid, I'm a tat and viaje fan as well but I don't understand your comment about Pete Johnson/My Father collaborations. Tatuajes are made by My Father, or de los habanos Pepins factory prior to opening My Father. There are some exceptions that are made else where but to say that a la riqueza and cabaiguan are collaborations is an odd statement IMHO.

Also the cabaiguan and la riqueza are completely different than normal tats and dpg's IMO, very earthy and not at all to my liking. Not saying they aren't good but they are so different.

Finally I used to LOVE the MX-2 its a different cigar than it was, since CAO was bough by the evil empire I believe most of their cigars have lost something. Maybe it's my changing pallete but the MX-2 used to have something more, I could taste the coffee and chocolate over a nice bourbon, now the bourbon drowns them out.
    You forgot Tabacalera Cubana in Estel
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    The Kid:
    madurofan:
    The Kid:
    christian1971:
    The Kid:

You forgot Tabacalera Cubana in Estel
  • RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    Jim, I just smoked one you gave me. Good smoke? Yep. Worth the price? **** no.
  • HaybletHayblet Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭
    what I think is funny is I've never had a problem with Gurkha's or any Drew Estate product, well ok only one Gurkha: Crest I've yet to get one lit or find one smokeable
    Rain:
    Jim, I just smoked one you gave me. Good smoke? Yep. Worth the price? **** no.
    Glad you liked it ! I will have to try again. I think I still have one.
  • kingdavid5kingdavid5 Posts: 293
    When the papas fritas hit my local shop I jumped on them right way bought the tin of 4 very over prices but I was a huge UC fan so I went for it. It was a decent smoke but for the smoke time and size it wasn't worth the price. I have been steering away from DE stuff cause lately the stuff I have been buying has been terrible burn issues I find myself always relighting and just terrible smoke output. So I'm looking for another go to stick still waiting to try some new stuff
    Had the second (and last) papas fritas.... it was in my humi for another month or so. A little better than the first but still blah. Glad you like the ones I gave you Randy. Moving on to something new. But, I do like trying the many different sticks. After a few years I am finally able to tell the differences and what I like and dont, but I still enjoy trying all the new (to me) sticks out there.

Next up in my humi is a Flor de las Antillas. Look for my usual short and simple review.
  • blurrblurr Posts: 962 ✭✭
    I'm glad this community isn't still in the Liga hype phase. Something fishy going on over there at DE, with the initial love interest and "major smoke output" of Ligas early on. Maybe some enhancing or infusing was going on with the wrappers and fillers. I've smoked 3 lp 9s in the last year and was just like what is the price point for and hype in these? Ymmv but its not for me.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    madurofan:
    Oh, OK, now this makes sense! I've only had a couple MX-2's, but they were great, a couple years ago. I didn't know CAO had been bought out.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • CigaryCigary Posts: 630
    There seems to always be a lot of chatter when these "smaller" cigars hit the shelves and while I wish they were as good as many believe I tend to be disappointed with them as well. Yes, they have something to them and some taste ok but at the end of the day these smaller cigars just don't seem to have the flavor and profile of their larger brothers ( vitolas ) and therefore to me it's a waste of money. I know a lot of those who like them because they can smoke them in about 15 or 20 minutes...to me that is just asking for trouble that you have to feel the need to get them smoked in a matter of time. Cigars are to be enjoyed and take your time and when you feel that you have to manage your cigar smoking time...you've already got one foot in the hole. JMHO
    Coronas rock. Fact. One PF I had was good, one bad. I would try another.
    Necro. As I've not had either as of late, how do you guys think the PF and Liga 9 compare? Do you smoke the PF and say "I can taste the Liga"?
  • Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    Interesting. I bought into some of the reviews expecting to basically get an undercrown corona with some slightly different tobacco when i tried a PF. I got them for lower than what you can normally buy them for but still overpaid(price of curiosity). I have had two. On their own, i like them and like their flavor. The taste, for me, somewhere between a 9 and an undercrown. I didnt get much pepper but a lot of damp tobacco flavor, creamy leather and i swear i could taste some cinnamon vanilla notes. I dig em, but i dont think they are a baby brother to a 9 or undercrown.
  • alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    They are a cuban sandwich cigar, plain and simple. DE used to do this with their La Veija Habana line. The difference is, they charged cuban sandwich prices with the La Vieja Habana. Hell, before the S-Chip tax, you could pick up a box of 20 La Vieja Habanas for around $40. Even after the price hike, they were still around the $50-60 mark. They are made of tobacco that would otherwise be thrown away, and mini coronas at that. There is no reason for DE to charge what they do for them.

By their very nature they are going to be inconsistent. The two I tried were different, one being pretty okay and one being very meh. If these sold at what they should sell for, around $2 a stick, I could see picking some up now and then. At over $5 a pop, no way. Look at the Tatujae P series. They can be had for around $3 a stick, less if you hunt for deals on them. And every one of them I have smoked has been a good cigar. The flavor profile varies a little from stick to stick, but they are always enjoyable. And they never have construction issues. Somewhere along the way, DE got really money-hungry. On top of that, their quality control has completely gone to crap. Out of the last 7 or 8 UC's I've had, three had construction issues. One straight blew up on me about an inch in, the other two were plugged so badly I couldn't get anything out of them. I have to agree with Catfish on this one, Drew Estates is going the way of Gurkha.
  • denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    I'll just take this one step further. I have only smoked the LP9 and Undercrown and don't care for either. I respect the brand and what they are doing, just don't like the smokes, or at least I haven't found one that I do like. If I'm going to pay for a Liga Privada, I'd rather get a My Father, Tat, Fuente, or LFD. I just haven't had a good Liga Privada
  • No_one21No_one21 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭
    Guess I'm gonna go the other way on this one guys. I haven't had a PF yet, and likely won't pay to try them. However, the T52, 9, and UC have all been great smokes to me and none have had any issues in the last 6 months. Great burn, smoke output, flavors seem consistent stick to stick (though I don't have a very developed palate). Just got a box of the UC for a good price actually. I agree on the price point of the T52 and 9 though... dayum.