Home General Discussion

Matches or Torch lighter

I was wondering what the majority of you guys, and gals, use to lite your cigars with. I had a butane lighter and I've used matches. For some reason I like to use a wooden match to get my smoke going. Don't know why I wanted to start this thread but I was reading "xicar lighter issues" thread and it got me wondering what the majority of the BOTLs use.

Comments

• RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lighter be it a torch or a BIC, matches are to much work for me. But I do occasionally like to use the cedar strips.
  • mfotismfotis Posts: 720 ✭✭
    wood matches, I'll use the cedar if the stick comes with some.
  • Rail_JockeyRail_Jockey Posts: 805 ✭✭✭
    Torch. I use a three flame torch to initially light my cigar and a single flame torch to touch up in even burns if needed.
  • jadeltjadelt Posts: 763 ✭✭
    Cheap $3 torch from Wally World (Ronson Jetlite) I smoke outside and no way I could use matches.
  • clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
    I use one of those long regular lighters that you use to light a grill with. Not sure why this ended up being my lighter of choice. Just so many problems with matches and torches, and it gets the flame away from my hand which I like.
  • prosspross Posts: 874 ✭✭✭
    Torch also. Have several from single to quad flames. No real difference to me.

• Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    95% of the time I use a xikar torch. Only soft flame or matches if I travel and cannot take a torch (airplane).
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • jfacianejfaciane Posts: 242
    Interesting, I wasn't expecting many people to use BIC any "regular" lighters.
  • When I used to smoke in my apartment, I would sometimes use matches. Since most of my smoking is outdoors though, it's almost always a torch. I have several torches that I've acquired over the years, so I'll go with whichever one has some juice in it.
  • nickiamnickiam Posts: 608 ✭✭
    Torch - Get lit son!
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    I'll use anything that creates a flame. Not really, but not far from it. I prefer my Xikar single flame torch but it's been lost in the move as of right now so I use my triple flame, a bic, my pipe lighter, grill lighter. As long as it doesn't reek like a Zippo I'll use it.
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Matcheros casi siempre. Except when camping.
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• raisindotraisindot Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    Oh, torches for sure. I've got four non-cheapes and they all reliably fail to light on a regular basis, even with top-grade butane in 'em.
  • jadeltjadelt Posts: 763 ✭✭
    raisindot:
    Oh, torches for sure. I've got four non-cheapes and they all reliably fail to light on a regular basis, even with top-grade butane in 'em.
    PM me your addy and I will send you a $3 lighter that works every time regardless of butane I use (now watch you will get a bad one from me lol)
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    raisindot:
    That sucks, man.. I've had a great time with mine.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • brianetz1brianetz1 Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭
    raisindot:
    i just got a black ops double torch lighter from c.com and i can't get it to light with xikar butane. I adjusted how much the butane comes out, bled the lines, and everything. I know they aren't top of the line, but more than $3.....so it isn't just cheapies that don't light.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jadelt:
    Cheap $3 torch from Wally World (Ronson Jetlite) I smoke outside and no way I could use matches.
    This is what I use most of the time. And I just use the Ronson fuel in it. Had mine for over a year and still works great.
  • ThewelderThewelder Posts: 682 ✭✭
    I have a soft flame lighter that I regularly use. The Bugatti for windy, and I got used to using matches while in Iraq. So those when I can't find the soft flame or want to feel "classy"
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I prefer matches if the conditions are right ...

But since I usually smoke outside and wind's usually a factor ---- I end up using my single flame torch lighter (bugatti or lotus) about 75-80% of the time ...

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• jfacianejfaciane Posts: 242
    Seems the general consensus is to use a torch but because of the environmental factors i.e. wind. I love to use my matches for some reason but I do have the occasional wind and trying to find a spot to light is tough. I've been wanting to invest in a torch but by reading some posts it seems value is of no concern and it won't guarantee a good lighter. I'll keep searching and eventually get a torch of some kind.
  • coachrumcoachrum Posts: 18
    I used to be a matches only guy, but after attending local b&m, I slowly became accustomed to lighters. Now I seldom use matches to light. Lighters much easier and faster.