Home Cigar 101

MacGuyver Smoking Room

LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
My cycle of cigars is basically right now (Spring and Summer) I am an avid cigar smoker and spending too much money and expanding like a MoPhuck3r!!!!

But I do NOT want to have happen what happened last winter and that is me not liking the Frosty weather stop smoking all-together and stop buying as well

Plus with the smoking ban starting in Milwaukee July 2010 means that my local bar next summer will also be lost...

What have you guys seen/done to smoke indoors and not have your house smell???

I did a forum post search and I know that some go to the garage and some smoke in the basement, but there's mold in my basement and my garage is not attached, but what I do have is an "Office" that has a north window and a west window and a door that leads to the rest of my house

Initial plans would probably be to "Weatherstrip or foam" the door and have a westerly "Exhaust Box Fan".... anybody got any other plans to keep the smoke out from under the door???

I rent but don't give a *** about drilling into anything as long as I can smoke :)

Comments

• cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    Ozone generator. Plug it in, set the level and time interval, and smoke away.
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    cabinetmaker:
    I looked at Jenesco (spelling?) and they had one for $129... I've never heard of an Ozone generator and was wondering if I'm investing $129 for it does it have any other uses? I'm not opposed to this for being able to smoke 8 more months out of the year would definitely be worth the price to get the smell out of the room

P.s. would this work well enough to actually eat the smoke in the room to prevent the smoke from getting out of the room?

Looking at it I would think not, so now any suggestions for the smoke out the bottom of the door?
  • plaidbanana1plaidbanana1 Posts: 187
    Doesn't sound like you have garage, but thats where I smoke. I just put a couch and a tv in there and it works fine for me.
    cabinetmaker:
    Hmmmmm... just did some more research and it looks like Ozone, although good for protecting my velvety skin from UV rays, may also be harmful to my lungs, especially in confined areas and even in low doses...

Although that's only one study but that study if from the EPA...
  • Garen BGaren B Posts: 977
    If you were truly going to MacGuyver a smoking room, you need to do it using a rubber band, some gum, 5 bamboo poles, a trash bag and a burro. You might just look into a bunch of towels at the base of the door, a few fans and a space heater to keep your hands from freezing off because the windows are open.
    Garen B:
    If you were truly going to MacGuyver a smoking room, you need to do it using a rubber band, some gum, 5 bamboo poles, a trash bag and a burro. You might just look into a bunch of towels at the base of the door, a few fans and a space heater to keep your hands from freezing off because the windows are open.
    Okay, I just remembered something about some dang under the door padding and how it work (they demoed it with a hair dryer and some tinsel) That would surely do the trick

Does anyone remember this guy??? It was two foam rods and a cloth covering that held each rod on each side of the door...
    You set it to run when you are at work. Ozone breaks down in about 15 minutes to plain old oxygen. Oxygen - it does a body good...hehe.. If you've ever been in a bar or nightclub (somehow I'm guessing you're a regular) you've been around ozone genny's as they all use the to clear the air. Otherwise with all the cigarette smoke you'd never see your hand in front of your face.

Oh, and McGuyver would only need 3 bamboo poles, not 5. I'd have thought that would be obvious..
    cabinetmaker:
    You set it to run when you are at work. Ozone breaks down in about 15 minutes to plain old oxygen. Oxygen - it does a body good...hehe.. If you've ever been in a bar or nightclub (somehow I'm guessing you're a regular) you've been around ozone genny's as they all use the to clear the air. Otherwise with all the cigarette smoke you'd never see your hand in front of your face.

Oh, and McGuyver would only need 3 bamboo poles, not 5. I'd have thought that would be obvious..
    Thanks for the Info!

p.s...... Now WHAT would make you think I'm a regular at those filthy drinking establishments filled with "Swing" Music and "Flappers"?!?!
    cabinetmaker:

P.S. is that just like a "Smoke-Eater" that cigar bars have in their ceilings??? Ozone Generators???

If so, I'm amazed at baffled at what I don't know.......
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    Lasabar:
    cabinetmaker:

Thanks for the Info!

p.s...... Now WHAT would make you think I'm a regular at those filthy drinking establishments filled with "Swing" Music and "Flappers"?!?!

drinking establishments ...swing music ...flappers ...how disgusting , bartender pour me another round !!!
  • Garen BGaren B Posts: 977
    Lasabar:
    Garen B:
    Okay, I just remembered something about some dang under the door padding and how it work (they demoed it with a hair dryer and some tinsel) That would surely do the trick

Does anyone remember this guy??? It was two foam rods and a cloth covering that held each rod on each side of the door...
    Yeah, I see it every so often on an infomercial, looks like a piece of cloth that had the ends folded almost half way so they met and then stitched to form a tube and the foam rods stuck in. You could probably make a better one for a cheaper price than what you would pay for through their company though.
    Lasabar:
    P.S. is that just like a "Smoke-Eater" that cigar bars have in their ceilings??? Ozone Generators???

If so, I'm amazed at baffled at what I don't know.......
    Yep, same thing.
  • LeftFiveLeftFive Posts: 184 ✭✭
    It might be better to leave the door alone. All the air moving out the window will pull more in through the door edges will keep any smoke from getting into your house.
    The tighter the room is sealed, the less smoke the fan is going to be moving outside.
    Personally, I like the smell of smoke from cigars. I DON'T like it from cigarettes (much more acrid), but from cigars it's not bad. Still, I have a small ozone genny, it kills all the smoke smell before it ever gets into anything; and knocks it right outta the air, actually destroys the smoke molecule.
  • 4bob44bob4 Posts: 212
    cabinetmaker:
    Personally, I like the smell of smoke from cigars. I DON'T like it from cigarettes (much more acrid), but from cigars it's not bad. Still, I have a small ozone genny, it kills all the smoke smell before it ever gets into anything; and knocks it right outta the air, actually destroys the smoke molecule.
    Got a link to which one you use? You smoke a lot more cigars than I do from what I've read so anything that works for you would surely work for me.