Home Cigar 101

CAO cigarillos - Dry-Cured?

MAJORdorMoMAJORdorMo Posts: 356
I just got a tin of 10 CAO Cameroon cigarillos. I heard somewhere that they were dry-cured. Can anyone confirm this?
If this is true, should I just keep them in a ziplock bag?

Comments

• LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    MAJORdorMo:
    I just got a tin of 10 CAO Cameroon cigarillos. I heard somewhere that they were dry-cured. Can anyone confirm this?
    If this is true, should I just keep them in a ziplock bag?
    Cigarillos are actually dry cured, in that they don't need moisture to be kept so they can be kept on counters of gas stations or outside of humidors. The reason for this, I believe, is a convenience factor and because the cigarillos are made just like cigarettes, just with a toothy binder surrounding short filler, AND because the produce an even burn the cigarillos burn better drier.

Over time the cigarillos can lose some of the luster and taste being dry, and some places will put the cigarillos in the humidor and the rule of thumb is that the humidor will make them last longer and will not hurt them, leaving them out in the open will not hurt them either but over time the dryness can "Bland" the cigar
  • MAJORdorMoMAJORdorMo Posts: 356
    Thanks for the help! Seems like information on dry cured cigars is very limited on the internet.
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    Are we talking about the CAO tins? And what the hell is dry-cured?
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    madurofan:
    Dry-cured is (from what I've read) almost like curing a Candella in which heat is applied to dry the cigar out except it is done after fermentation so the wrapper is brown. This helps burn for it's very hard to put long filler in a cigarillo the size of a cigarette, so the dryness helps to make it even, basically a mini cigar dried through heat (as read from "Complete Idiot's Guide to Cigars")
  • MAJORdorMoMAJORdorMo Posts: 356
    madurofan:

Only the CAO Flavours, Cameroon, and Maduro tins. The Italia, Brazilia, and Criollo tins aren't dry cured.