Home Ratings & Reviews

Oliva G Maduro

Oliva G Maduro - Special G

1st Off let me thank Cholmes for this one!

Ok so this cigar is 3.75 x 48 Maduro figuerado.

It has a fat 48 ring nippled foot that tapers down to a 28 ring approx at the head.
The cigar itself looks like a little beat up ****!
The wrapper was very toothy & thick!
The wrap on the cigar was definately poorly done w many rough spots, lifts and pulls.
Now I trimmed a little bit of the nippled foot off to light it.
Again I used a torch and overcooked the light slightly leading to a little burn problem that self corrected when I went to correct this.

This was a nice little smoke - medium body. Maybe just a tad stronger than medium body, but not Med-Full
Definately full flavor.
I got pepper spice in the first 1/2 inch and a little bit of a punch.
After that I got some nice earth and dark coffee flavors (I was drinking coffee too).

I would smoke this cigar again given the right ocassion. But I think for a short smoke I will stick w a Connie - specifically a Nub Connie. I would rather take the time with a full cigar when smoking a full flavor cigar.

Again, Thanks to Cholmes for this one.

Comments

• Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    I bought a five pack of these and had one tonight. I like the blend, but not the size. The vitola is too close to a cigarette. I can see the appeal of 25ish minute smoke, but I need a little longer to enjoy the cigar fully. I think I might try the Belicosos.
  • laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    Russ55:
    I bought a five pack of these and had one tonight. I like the blend, but not the size. The vitola is too close to a cigarette. I can see the appeal of 25ish minute smoke, but I need a little longer to enjoy the cigar fully. I think I might try the Belicosos.
    Hey Russ. If you are ready to give up on those Special G's ... PM me wiith a list of some favorites. Maybe we can work out a trade.
  • Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    I've only got two left, otherwise I would take you up on that. It is a good smoke, I just have trouble with the size.
    Russ55:
    I've only got two left, otherwise I would take you up on that. It is a good smoke, I just have trouble with the size.
    Yup, that it is. When you don't have time for a full size stick, they are a great choice ! All the flavor in 20 - 30 minutes.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i like this cigar in the churchill size. it is one of the few cigars (IMHO) that has more complexity in the churchill than in the figurado

that and its inexpensive to boot.
    kuzi16:
    i like this cigar in the churchill size. it is one of the few cigars (IMHO) that has more complexity in the churchill than in the figurado

I don't do too many Churchill's. I find the draw a little too much for me, and I don't actually start to enjoy the cigar until a couple of inches have been smoked off. I can do a Lancero because of the smaller ring gauge off-setting the length. Nothing I hate more then drawing and drawing on a cigar and not getting enough smoke to satisfy me. It's just so frustrating.
  • HugemooseHugemoose Posts: 458
    I enjoyed this the one time I had it. My first box purchase was actually the Oliva G Maduro in the Belicoso size. The rich, creamy smoke it produces is always a nice treat. I liked the small perfecto, but not enough to buy 48 of them in a box!
    <br? I just finished a Hemingway short story, which is the same size, and it was great! But I did want more....so next time I need to pick up a few more and in a larger size.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    laker1963:
    kuzi16:

I don't do too many Churchill's. I find the draw a little too much for me, and I don't actually start to enjoy the cigar until a couple of inches have been smoked off. I can do a Lancero because of the smaller ring gauge off-setting the length. Nothing I hate more then drawing and drawing on a cigar and not getting enough smoke to satisfy me. It's just so frustrating.
    i used to be the same way about churchills with the needing to be an inch or so in before i really got to like them. but as of late i have started to like the longer cigars more. they change more over the length of the cigar because there is a larger bit of leaf in the filler. its a slow change but its interesting see how the filler is affecting the cigar. If im trying to understand the wrapper of a cigar i buy a corona or a lancero or a panatella. if i want to understand the binder its an churchill or an "A"