Home General Discussion

Have you ever replaced a cheap cigar with a good one on a newbie?

Two nights ago I went to my favorite bar and went out on deck to enjoy a scotch and San lotano when a younger person asked me for a light . It was a black n tan. I told him no way my colibre will light that cat ****. He was taken aback and a little offended. I went to my case and produced a Padron anniversary punched it and then handed him my lighter and cigar. It was such a nice conversation I had with that newbie, just his excitement in describing his experience was worth me giving it to him. Anyone else done this?

Comments

• jliujliu Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭✭
    For sure. That's how I got others to like cigars. Thats how I also started liking cigars
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Man that was an extremely awesome move brother. I've turned on a few newbs before but never with something of that caliber, just in case they preferred their flavored cigars better. Hope he enjoyed it and will seek out more premiums.
  • beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    Giving away a good cigar is so much more rewarding than buying someone a meal or a drink. And it lasts much longer.
  • Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    TheDuckofDeath:
    Two nights ago I went to my favorite bar and went out on deck to enjoy a scotch and San lotano when a younger person asked me for a light . It was a black n tan. I told him no way my colibre will light that cat ****. He was taken aback and a little offended. I went to my case and produced a Padron anniversary punched it and then handed him my lighter and cigar. It was such a nice conversation I had with that newbie, just his excitement in describing his experience was worth me giving it to him. Anyone else done this?
    This is awesome. I've never done this but I need to.

I actually read the title to the thread backwards at first, and I've definitely given people unbanded cigars without telling them anything about them and have really enjoy house blends and other bargain sticks. It's pretty cool.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jliu:
    For sure. That's how I got others to like cigars. Thats how I also started liking cigars
    +100 I've done this several times at my lounge and many times just with strangers I used to meet at my old job (DISH Sattelite Tech so I traveled across CO every day), I always had my herfador on me and I'd give a couple away each day nearly. The expression and the sincerity that you'd get from that person was always worth whatever the stick meant to me. You did good Duck, very very good and really are an example to lead by your actions alone for what we can all aspire to as BOTL.

Thanks Juinn, Duck and everyone else who has done this.... It's people like you that are helping to pass along this passion and love of the leaf that we all have to newer generations and walks of life that will keep this going and keep the true spirit of what a BOTL really is in the coming generations.
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    I do it all the time with my dad when I visit on the holidays. I raid his humi, remove the crap he gets from Thomp., and replace it work MOW armadas, Cohiba, and padrons.
  • Steve2010Steve2010 Posts: 1,036
    I always enjoy sharing what I know about cigars with the Soldiers that rotate through here.
    When they first get here, it's always "Gurkha, Gurkha, Gurkha".
    Case in point: This past Saturday, one of the Soldiers had a Gurkha Beast. Fortunately it had a badly cracked cap, so I gave him a San Lotano Oval. After a few minutes, he was telling all his buddies how great the Oval was and he took his herf-a-dor and emptied it into the "Community humidor" to make room for all the AJ and Pepin sticks he was going to order.

Usually, buy the time their tour is up, I've weaned most of them off Gurkhas.
  • CigaryCigary Posts: 630
    Probably one of the most awesome things I have read...how cool to do that and watch Dad smile?