Home Cigar 101

Dried out sticks

onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
I have a few Fuente's that were left in an unmaintained Humidor for a while (8 yrs). If I rehydrate them for a year or so in a properly maintained humidor, does anyone know if they would recover or is this a lost cause?

Comments

• bbass2bbass2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭
    I'm no expert but I would guess at 8 years all oils are dried up so it won't help. You can always try rehydrating and either they come out okay or you just throw them away at a later date versus now.
  • thedjfish@comcast.netthedjfish@comcast.net Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭
    onestrangeone:
    I have a few Fuente's that were left in an unmaintained Humidor for a while (8 yrs). If I rehydrate them for a year or so in a properly maintained humidor, does anyone know if they would recover or is this a lost cause?
    its long shot but if you want to mess with them, grab a humi pack throw em in a large zip lock and place in a dark place for about 2 weeks ,check on them after the first week if no cracks let em' sit for another week, no cracks or splitting after 2 week,place a hygrometer check after 8-12 hrs if they are close to a humidity range that your humi is at place them in the humi let sit for about 2-3 months monitoring for cracks/splits,if they are below the range let them sit additional time in the bag checking ever so often, make sure the humi pack is also maintain it will ,ost likely start to dry out,its long shot but i have had friends do this, the cigars wont taste like when there where fresh,but with enough time sitting and being humidified they can be smoked how they taste? well thats a different story
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree, 8 yrs is a looong time to be dry. But might as well try! Dj's method sounds good, just slowly bring em back to a good rh. If they taste like crap after a few months, then id give up.

hope it works though! Good luck
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • jfacianejfaciane Posts: 242
    onestrangeone:
    It's funny you mention this. I was just reading a cigar journal, not even 5 minutes ago, about dried out sticks and if they can be saved or not. Basically, they can be saved but they won't taste like they were meant to. All the oils are now evaporated and can never be retrieved. If you can salvage them, and it could take up to a year, you may get some flavor back but not the full punch of the stogie. Sorry to hear about those Fuentes man. EDIT: I found the article under "community" and then "Articles" and there look for "The Insider: Reviving Dry Cigars"
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    My opinion..They may be revived, but to me it's not worth the time or effort given the reduced pay-off.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd probably try but I doubt it would do any good by now all the oils would be gone. What a shame.
  • onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I might as well try it, the taste factor is realy what I concerned about. I don't really have anything to lose, the humidor will make a nice addition to my collection, it was a gift from a friend who gave up. So sad.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hopefully the humi has been stored well.
  • onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's in good shape, she kept it in the closet. I have already conditioned it and calibrated the hydrometer (spot on) it has been holding 70% for a month. Ready to load. I'm just having a hard time tossing the Fuente's the rest went in the trash without a thought. Any creative suggestions?
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i would mark them and date them and keep them for a few years in ideal conditions. then when you feel brave, give it a shot. but as the others have said already, they are probably too far gone. you may not get a bad smoke but it probably wont be good either, and in my opinion, that is the best case scenario. it is sad to see good sticks die like that but at the same time, unless they are something super rare it isnt a big deal. there are tons of cigars on the market and fuente is easy to find.