Home Cigar 101

Bachelor Party Cigars

I'm planning a bachelor party and was hoping to have some cigars for the golf part of the trip. However, I know nothing about cigars. I am gonna need about a dozen. Nothing to expensive but certainly not a cheap gas station one. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Greg

Comments

• Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    You might not know much about them, but does the groom-to-be? Do others in the party? That would definitely change what you should go for in terms of strength.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • gpettrygpettry Posts: 3
    I know the majority of us have had them before but I'm fairly certain none of us are well versed in cigars
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would highly suggest these: Angelenos by Fuente
    They're a mild, but rich and creamy smoke. Very smooth and non-offensive so I'd imagine just about anyone would enjoy them.

And they can be had for a phenomenal price in the Clearance section

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    I second Gibby's suggestion. I highly recommend the Angelenos for noobs and vets.
  • Poker_SlobPoker_Slob Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will chime in as a third. It's a great mildish stick and the clearance price is fantastic!
  • macs-smokesmacs-smokes Posts: 587
    Heck now I am wanting to try them...
  • VisionVision Posts: 7,764 ✭✭✭✭✭
    AVO #3 Tubo. Great size for 9 or 18. Tubo for the guy who puts it in his pocket. Flavor.... well flavor for newbs and pros alike!
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Avo is another one perfect for you guys. The Robusto's are pretty cheap as well, good suggestion Pete.
  • gpettrygpettry Posts: 3
    Looking through older posts i saw several suggestions for 5 Vegas Gold for novices. What is everyone's opinions on those?

Once again thank you for the help
  • VisionVision Posts: 7,764 ✭✭✭✭✭
    gpettry:
    Looking through older posts i saw several suggestions for 5 Vegas Gold for novices. What is everyone's opinions on those? Once again thank you for the help

Good low end smokes. If you hand one to someone thats smoked before you might get the "Oh...hey.... wow....um.....thanks?!?!" Still a good $2 smoke.
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    gpettry:
    Looking through older posts i saw several suggestions for 5 Vegas Gold for novices. What is everyone's opinions on those? Once again thank you for the help
    5 Vegas gold is an OK smoke. Pretty cheap. I think for the clearance deal, the Angelenos are a better stick for about the same price.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
    gpettry:
    Well the 5V Gold is certainly a good place to start .... but considering those Angelenos on Clearance are almost the same price ... I think you'll get a much better experience from the Angelenos than the 5V.

Do you drink coffee ??
    If so, think of the 5V Gold as a cup from Starbucks and the Angelenos as a fresh-roasted cup of Columbian coffee from your local roaster.
    If you're not a coffee drinker and just want a "cup o joe" both will do the trick ---- but if you want to elevate your experience and get more nuanced flavors and aromas you'll want the Columbian coffee.

• I recommend a Padron 3000. It's about $4/cigar, it has a ton of great flavor, but it doesn't give you a nicotine buzz that'll make an inexperienced cigar smoker throw up.
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    5 Vegas Gold will do you fine; they're a nice mild stick that are great for breakfast or the golf course. I don't see any reason to go spending a ton of cash on cigars that no one will be able to really appreciate or even try to appreciate. It's like giving caviar or foie gras to a toddler, it's just a waste; order the chicken nuggets.

Also pay attention to the size of the cigar you're buying; the bigger number is the ring gauge, or how wide around the cigar is; the smaller number is the length of the cigar in inches. A number like 5x42 means the cigar is 5 inches long, and about 42/64ths of an inch around (more or less the size of your ring finger). A cigar the size of your thumb will be around 50-54 ring gauge, and 64 ring gauge is a full inch wide.
  • Roberto99Roberto99 Posts: 1,077
    I think any of the above suggestions sound good. I'm a big fan of the AVO classic and think it would be well received by noobies or regular smokers. On the other hand, I think my first sampler was a 5 vegas tin 5.5 x 55 and I recall liking the 5v classic the best out of the lot as a noob-noobie.
  • y2pascoey2pascoe Posts: 1,727 ✭✭
    The Graycliff G2 is a good, mild, budget-friendly cigar.
  • Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    AVO classic is a great suggestion, I'm going to assume Angelenos is as well but I've never had it (really need to fix that at this point). I'll also throw Gurkha Park Avenue in there as well as 5 Vegas Classic torpedo. They're budget-friendly, but they have great flavor and great consistency.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    I'll toss in Perdomo Champagne as a good mild stick. A cheaper version is AJ Fresh rolled. Can't go wrong with any of the previous suggestions. AVO being at the top for me personally.
  • The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    jgibv:
    They're a mild, but rich and creamy smoke. Very smooth and non-offensive so I'd imagine just about anyone would enjoy them.

I endorse this reccomendation!!! I would also suggest Perdomo Lot23 Maduro's.
  • The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    jgibv:
    gpettry:
    Well the 5V Gold is certainly a good place to start .... but considering those Angelenos on Clearance are almost the same price ... I think you'll get a much better experience from the Angelenos than the 5V.

Do you drink coffee ??
    If so, think of the 5V Gold as a cup from Starbucks and the Angelenos as a fresh-roasted cup of Columbian coffee from your local roaster.
    If you're not a coffee drinker and just want a "cup o joe" both will do the trick ---- but if you want to elevate your experience and get more nuanced flavors and aromas you'll want the Columbian coffee.
    NO NO NO!!!! 5vegas gold yuck!!!!!! AJ fresh rolled Yuck!!!!! Go with the Angeleno's or some Perdomo's Champagnes or Perdomo Lot23 maduro's!! AVO's are a great stick as well!!!!! If ya want to stick with 5vegas du to budget go with the triple "A"

5 vegas gold= vending machine coffee :o)
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    xmacro:
    I don't see any reason to go spending a ton of cash on cigars that no one will be able to really appreciate or even try to appreciate. It's like giving caviar or foie gras to a toddler, it's just a waste; order the chicken nuggets.

I love that! Dang, I may have to change my signature line. Hilarious.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    I was given the chore of supplying cigars for a bachelor party this coming weekend. I went with a box of J. Fuego Origen coronas. Decent price. If its too spicy for some, so be it. Both the groom and I like em.
  • mmccartneydcmmccartneydc Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭
    I like the tubo idea for a bachelor party, so definitely gotta go with AVO.
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jgibv:

I also need to provide some mild smokes for some friends, so after reading this thread I bought the clearance deal, - 10 Angelenos 2009 for $39.95. The invoice says - Angelinos 2010 - but I really just want to ask if anybody knows of or thinks there is enough difference between 2009 and 2010 to matter at all.
  • AVJimAVJim Posts: 449
    Baccarat is a good mild stick. CAO Gold is another good one.
    "I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member"
  • ddubridgeddubridge Posts: 3,978 ✭✭✭
    Bob Luken:
    jgibv:

I also need to provide some mild smokes for some friends, so after reading this thread I bought the clearance deal, - 10 Angelenos 2009 for $39.95. The invoice says - Angelinos 2010 - but I really just want to ask if anybody knows of or thinks there is enough difference between 2009 and 2010 to matter at all.
    I was thinking someone else would pick this up. The Angelenos line looks to me all the same blend. Have not seen anywhere listing a 2010.

Looking at the cigar.com pictures it looks like 2009's in a "limited release 2010" box. Maybe they are one in the same. Call or email for the answer.
    Alright, bumping this thread looking for y'alls serious input.
    (So no RP or Gurkha suggestions please)

Best friend from elementary school is getting married and the bachelor party is coming up soon.
    Want to pick up some smokes to take along & share.

I'd be all over the Angelenos but looks like that deal is long gone.....and the normal asking price is a bit steep for me.

So help me out here....
    It'll be a mixed group of about 15 guys anywhere from "novice" smoker to "expert" so I want to stick in the $4-5/range.

I was thinking maybe one of the Caldwell JV brands?
    AVO's (if I can find a deal)?
    What else ???

• danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Omar Ortez Puro Maduro
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • jliujliu Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭✭
    get bombed so that you spend $0 ?
    danielzreyes:
    Omar Ortez Puro Maduro
    Haven't heard of it, just looked it up. I'm a sucker for San Andres wrappers and the descriptions sound good. Thanks DZR, that's definitely in the running.

jliu:
    get bombed so that you spend $0 ?
    mmm, thanks but no thanks. wanna pick something up.
    i'd be willing to buy from someone here though if it ends up being a brand i can't find.