Home Non Cigar Related

Growing a Tobacco plant??

deejmemixxdeejmemixx Posts: 3,084 ✭✭
How hard is this? I would like to have a couple growing out in my cigar area.. any tips would be great. I know there was a thread somewhere, but I cant find it

Comments

• oilburneroilburner Posts: 91
    Apparently not all that difficult. There are quite a few forums dedicated to information on it. I haven't tried yet, but probably will this year. I've been reading www.howtogrowtobacco.com and www.fairtradetobacco.com Both have a wealth of information and info on how to obtain seeds. A lot of tobacco varieties have beautiful flowers and are somewhat ornamental.
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's the place to go: http://fairtradetobacco.com/forum.php

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    deejmemixx:
    How hard is this? I would like to have a couple growing out in my cigar area.. any tips would be great. I know there was a thread somewhere, but I cant find it
    last summer I started some seedlings and planted a few pots. Just watered often, and they grew like weeds!
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • RBeckomRBeckom Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭
    I will bump the thread with all the information I have so far.
    I lost my crop to a late frost this year and did not follow through with any new information.
    I hope it helps you somewhat.
    Rodney
  • Rail_JockeyRail_Jockey Posts: 805 ✭✭✭
    RBeckom:
    I will bump the thread with all the information I have so far.
    I lost my crop to a late frost this year and did not follow through with any new information.
    I hope it helps you somewhat.
    Rodney
    where do you even get tobacco seeds? i would like to grow a couple outside just to see what they look like...
    PM address and I'll send you plenty.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    I read an article a year or so ago from I think cigar aficionado or maybe another magazine but anyhow some guy did an extensive write up on how he grew his own tobacco to them make cigars. From reading it I really got the idea that it is rather hard. Apparently he did a good job as when he had his cigars rolled the roller was rather impressed with the tobacco.
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    phobicsquirrel:
    I read an article a year or so ago from I think cigar aficionado or maybe another magazine but anyhow some guy did an extensive write up on how he grew his own tobacco to them make cigars. From reading it I really got the idea that it is rather hard. Apparently he did a good job as when he had his cigars rolled the roller was rather impressed with the tobacco.
    I'm sure once you harvest, curing/fermenting is a WHOLE differnt ball game. I am hesitant to try all that.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
    Gray4lines:
    phobicsquirrel:
    I'm sure once you harvest, curing/fermenting is a WHOLE differnt ball game. I am hesitant to try all that.

That's where the fun begins.
    Severial sites describe how to build small curing chambers that work quiet well.
    As for aging, simply time at the right temputure and humidity.
    All-together a great learning experiance.
    I have some varities that already have been aging for over three years.
    Patients is the hardest part.
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    I need to grow some for ornamental reasons if nothing else
  • deejmemixxdeejmemixx Posts: 3,084 ✭✭
    fla-gypsy:
    thats what I am looking for as well, they are beautiful plants. Wife just gave the approval as well... now to get some seeds!
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    fla-gypsy:
    +1
    Doubtful I'll get them in this year .... but perhaps in 2014.

Rodney -- I remember following your thread last year and enjoyed seeing the pictures of the progress. Did you ever take any pictures towards the end of the season, when they flowered (did yours flower?), if so maybe I missed that update
    Anyways --- keep us posted how this season goes ... same goes for you, Gray.

Please take pics again and let us know how your plants are progressing.
    Rail Jockey:
    where do you even get tobacco seeds? i would like to grow a couple outside just to see what they look like...
    Been doing a little research on this myself .... this site looked promising:
    http://sustainableseedco.com/pipe-tobacco-seed-types/

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

I have plenty from last year.
    I'll try to send to all who wants them.
    Out of seeds, regretfully.
  • clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
    Three year old daughter just walked up, looked at Squirrel above: "Aw... he's really cute. He's eating."