Home Cigar 101

Palate or Retro?

RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
If you could only taste a cigar with your palate or through a retro, which would you choose? I'm all about the retro..i get all kinds of good flavors IE floral notes, peanut butter. Not so much with the mouth, I just get woodsy, leather and sweet/sour.

Comments

• mmccartneydcmmccartneydc Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭
    I am very similar to you in this. I'm terrible at picking out flavors but the ones I do get, come during retro.
  • ddubridgeddubridge Posts: 3,978 ✭✭✭
    I dont know if I could choose. I really enjoy both and I think each balances each other out. If I had to choose I would say retro because I enjoy those flavors more.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm mostly a palate guy. But when I'm smoking something with that pepper bite then I'm really into the retrohale. I just love that burn.
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd say that honestly these go hand in hand, smell is 75% of taste and they are woven together. That being said I get the MOST from retro, but I loose something from both if I can't do one or the other. It's also wired to see but if you leave your mouth open on the retro you get a bit more defined flavors as well ;)
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    90+ Irishman:
    I'd say that honestly these go hand in hand, smell is 75% of taste and they are woven together. That being said I get the MOST from retro, but I loose something from both if I can't do one or the other. It's also wired to see but if you leave your mouth open on the retro you get a bit more defined flavors as well ;)
    I'm going to look dumb trying this haha. Might me my mind, but I think I get better flavors if I hold the smoke in my mouth a little longer...maybe letting it cool or something?
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rain:
    90+ Irishman:
    I'm going to look dumb trying this haha. Might me my mind, but I think I get better flavors if I hold the smoke in my mouth a little longer...maybe letting it cool or something?
    Yeah, it helps to cool it a touch and if you blow just a small amount out it gets rid of the harsher bit of it like some of the bp heavier nicotine etc... I just get smoother retrohales and more flavornifni blow out a small amount out first. Doesn't burn as much I guess.
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Both... The interaction is what it is all about. I love the retro, and love discerning how the smoke site on my palate
  • jfacianejfaciane Posts: 242
    Well for me I'm still learning/getting used to the retro. It burns like hell every time I do it but I do like it even though I haven't experienced any more of a flavor enhancement from it.
  • AVJimAVJim Posts: 449
    Another vote for both.
    "I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member"
  • RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    jfaciane:
    Well for me I'm still learning/getting used to the retro. It burns like hell every time I do it but I do like it even though I haven't experienced any more of a flavor enhancement from it.
    Make sure you're not trying it with too much smoke or doing it too fast.
  • musicman3musicman3 Posts: 622
    I would pick retro no question.
  • jfacianejfaciane Posts: 242
    Rain:
    jfaciane:
    Make sure you're not trying it with too much smoke or doing it too fast.
    Roger that. I was reading some previous posts in this thread and was thinking I was doing it too fast and the smoke wasn't cooled enough. I'll try tomorrow and see how that goes.
  • ToombesToombes Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭
    I have to go with both. If i just hold the smoke in my mouth I can pick up certain flavors, but retrohaling and blowing through the mouth on the same puff gives me a better profile. As for holding the smoke in your mouth longer, try "swishing" it around. It seems to cover more of your pallet and tastebuds giving a better depth to the flavors.