Home Cigar 101

Rapid RH drop

StsepasStsepas Posts: 475
My RH dropped 10pts. in 6 hrs. I swapped a bunch of sticks from 1 humi to another. Both humi's started at about 70%. Now the humi that I added to has dropped to 60% while the other has not moved. I know they're still ok at 60% just wondering what may have happened. They both have xikar gel in them, and were recently seasoned.

Comments

• catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    My guess? Was not seasoned properly.
  • AVJimAVJim Posts: 449
    Hygrometers calibrated? Perhaps the "good" humi isn't really 70rh?
    "I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member"
  • RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    catfishbluezz:
    My guess? Was not seasoned properly.
    +1
  • StsepasStsepas Posts: 475
    Thanks for the input guys. I'll check to see if calibrated. If they still read the same as now I'll season them again.
    Calibrate together, and also put both in the same humi and see. I had two hygros once that were 8rh off, recalibrated and it was good.
    catfishbluezz:
    Calibrate together, and also put both in the same humi and see. I had two hygros once that were 8rh off, recalibrated and it was good.
    Very good advice! You are very wise, Shonuff! Well, I wish I were a catfish.....
    AVJim:
    catfishbluezz:
    Very good advice! You are very wise, Shonuff! Well, I wish I were a catfish.....
    that song is how I got my name ;) swimming down loooooowww...deep blue sea
    catfishbluezz:
    AVJim:
    catfishbluezz:
    that song is how I got my name ;) swimming down loooooowww...deep blue sea
    I kinda figured. Every time I see a post by you, the song pops in my head (Muddy's version).
  • ddubridgeddubridge Posts: 3,978 ✭✭✭
    Stsepas:
    My RH dropped 10pts. in 6 hrs. I swapped a bunch of sticks from 1 humi to another. Both humi's started at about 70%. Now the humi that I added to has dropped to 60% while the other has not moved. I know they're still ok at 60% just wondering what may have happened. They both have xikar gel in them, and were recently seasoned.
    Did you have either humi open for a really long time? Before I had KL it took my humis a really long time to recover from the lid being open for a while. I would in turn add a lot of distilled water to my beads and the RH would shoot through the roof. It might just take some time to recover from the switch. As stated, proper seasoning and larger amounts of beads/KL would help this stablize a lot.
    ddubridge:
    Stsepas:
    Did you have either humi open for a really long time? Before I had KL it took my humis a really long time to recover from the lid being open for a while. I would in turn add a lot of distilled water to my beads and the RH would shoot through the roof. It might just take some time to recover from the switch. As stated, proper seasoning and larger amounts of beads/KL would help this stablize a lot.
    Another reference to kitty litter for humidification... I won't ever fit in here until I use it too! Just funning!
    Drew what do you consider a really long time? I don't think they were open for more than 5 minutes or so.
    @AV I hear ya on the kitty litter!
  • ddubridgeddubridge Posts: 3,978 ✭✭✭
    Stsepas:
    Drew what do you consider a really long time? I don't think they were open for more than 5 minutes or so.
    @AV I hear ya on the kitty litter!
    5 mins would have affected the old setup as described in my original post. With the furnace running all the time due to weather, I couldnt open it for 3 mins without a pretty large drop in RH. Has the humi started to recover yet?
    It's slowly recovering. It's @ about 63 or so. I just checked a few min ago when grabbing a smoke out of it!
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stsepas:
    It's slowly recovering. It's @ about 63 or so. I just checked a few min ago when grabbing a smoke out of it!
    That sounds perfect to me, then! If it's a smaller humi, then it will "lose" its rh faster when being opened than a laglrger humi. Less volume of cigas to stabalize it. They will be fine, though, with proper and routine checks.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
    Thanks for all the info guys. They are smaller I'd say like 75 ct. On both of them with about 50 in each.