Home Cigar 101

Humidity Issues?

Hey Guys,

Brand new to this forum, fairly new to smokin' cigars, and have a question.  I was given a Rocky Patel sun grown by a customer at work, I took it home and enjoyed it so much I went and bought another.  While in the store, I was invited to a promo for Perdomo the following night, so I went. Needless to say I came home with more cigars of various brand and a leather travel humidor. When I bought the humidor, I was advised to buy a bottle of Griffo Activation Solution.  I wiped the inside of the humidor with the solution only once and stuck the cigars in.  I have since cut the bottom out of a SOLO cup and put it in there with water in it.  I have a digital hygrometer in there now reading about 64% humidity.  Is there anything else I need to do?  I was contemplating wiping the inside down again with the solution.  Does it need it?  Thanks and hope this is just the first of many discussions I am a part of with you guys.

Comments

• LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    Smokin' Jim:

Hey Guys,

Brand new to this forum, fairly new to smokin' cigars, and have a question.  I was given a Rocky Patel sun grown by a customer at work, I took it home and enjoyed it so much I went and bought another.  While in the store, I was invited to a promo for Perdomo the following night, so I went. Needless to say I came home with more cigars of various brand and a leather travel humidor. When I bought the humidor, I was advised to buy a bottle of Griffo Activation Solution.  I wiped the inside of the humidor with the solution only once and stuck the cigars in.  I have since cut the bottom out of a SOLO cup and put it in there with water in it.  I have a digital hygrometer in there now reading about 64% humidity.  Is there anything else I need to do?  I was contemplating wiping the inside down again with the solution.  Does it need it?  Thanks and hope this is just the first of many discussions I am a part of with you guys.

You can search these forums for many other answers like this, but long story short...

If it is staying at 64% or about +/- 4% from that then you have nothing to worry about! Only if it fluctuates then you can change your setup
  • Thanks Lasabar, man that makes me feel alot better. I was afraid I was going to ruin the few cigars I have bought so far. Another question: I have Rocky Patels, Olivas, Perdomo anniversary, and a few others to try. What do you recommend for someone who is trying to figure out how to taste all of the different "flavors" I hear about? ( peppery, nutty, etc.) I think I really like the Perdomos best so far. All advice is appreciated.
  • cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    There is a link in Kuzi' s signature about developing your pallette, read that.
  • How do I find it?
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    make sure your only using DISTILLED water ...
  • Renaissance_ManRenaissance_Man Posts: 973 ✭✭
    And wiping the interior of the humidor with this solution does not sound good to me... The solution has propylene glycol in it... You can think of it as a watered silicone. It is not good for the pores of the wood to be wiped with a "jelly" substance! Avoid doing that in the future - just my 5 cents. It also sounds technically logical not to lol... Use only DISTILLED water as previously mentioned...
  • Thanks for leting me know, I didnt read the bottle - just did what the guy in the store said. If you don't wipe the humidor down with it, what are you supposed to use it for? Also, I am having a humidor with inlays built and we are going to use planed down cedar fence pickets for the interior. Is this going to ruin my cigars due to the aroma? If so, I will just use the box as a pocket dump each night.
  • Renaissance_ManRenaissance_Man Posts: 973 ✭✭
    You are using the distilled water to WIPE the humidor and the solution in your actual humidification device (probably the florist sponge)... Not sure if flavor will be majorly influenced... Make sure cedar is SPANISH cedar - very important as other cedar can be way too aromatic and well... ruin your cigars :)...
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    Smokin' Jim:
    Thanks for leting me know, I didnt read the bottle - just did what the guy in the store said. If you don't wipe the humidor down with it, what are you supposed to use it for? Also, I am having a humidor with inlays built and we are going to use planed down cedar fence pickets for the interior. Is this going to ruin my cigars due to the aroma? If so, I will just use the box as a pocket dump each night.
    The first humidor makers never knew what Spanish Cedar was (technically Spanish Cedar isn't actually cedar, it comes from another family of woods) and the aroma from the planks is really up to you.
    If it's not that strong, then I'd say use em, especially if they smell good, if they are lighter you can put a crumpled up newspaper in the humidor to try to soak up some of the smell...

If you are worried I'd say go to a local shop and get some empty boxes and use those broken down boxes for shelving
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Smokin' Jim:
    How do I find it?
    look at the bottom of this very post.
  • Found it, read it, and I am going to try your method this weekend. Thanks for the help!