Home Ratings & Reviews

5 Vegas Classic Corona

All right guys, here's my second review. I have to preface this by saying that i was an impatient SOB and smoked it when i just received it today, so here goes. PRELIT DRAW: Earthy, bittersweet TOTAL BURN TIME: 35 minutes 1ST THIRD: Very mellow, earthy and leathery. Slight hints of pepper, not strong at all though. Did I mention leathery? lol 2ND THIRD: Kinda forgettable, still very mild, little hints of leather, pepper and coffee at certain points. FINAL THIRD: I started getting somewhat tired of it, but couldn't get myself to put it out. It kept showing signs of greatness, but was somewhat bitter, almost acrid at points. I tried to make myself put it out at least 4 times, but couldn't do it. It shows so much promise. OVERVIEW: I should have rested this guy. It was bitter and sharp at many points throughout, but I am thinking with a little more age under it's belt, it could be a VERY solid smoke. When I was smoking it I was kicking myself for not waiting longer. Ideally, I could see this being a fantastic morning smoke with a cup of strong coffee, and an espresso shot thrown in. Had a very mild coffee flavoring that would compliment it very well. As soon as my new humidor arrives, I will pick some more up to put some age on. I would give it a 6/10 for how it was when i smoked it, could be a solid 7 or 8 easily when rested.

Comments

• surfingzeekosurfingzeeko Posts: 628
    surfingzeeko:
    All right guys, here's my second review. I have to preface this by saying that i was an impatient SOB and smoked it when i just received it today, so here goes. PRELIT DRAW: Earthy, bittersweet TOTAL BURN TIME: 35 minutes 1ST THIRD: Very mellow, earthy and leathery. Slight hints of pepper, not strong at all though. Did I mention leathery? lol 2ND THIRD: Kinda forgettable, still very mild, little hints of leather, pepper and coffee at certain points. FINAL THIRD: I started getting somewhat tired of it, but couldn't get myself to put it out. It kept showing signs of greatness, but was somewhat bitter, almost acrid at points. I tried to make myself put it out at least 4 times, but couldn't do it. It shows so much promise. OVERVIEW: I should have rested this guy. It was bitter and sharp at many points throughout, but I am thinking with a little more age under it's belt, it could be a VERY solid smoke. When I was smoking it I was kicking myself for not waiting longer. Ideally, I could see this being a fantastic morning smoke with a cup of strong coffee, and an espresso shot thrown in. Had a very mild coffee flavoring that would compliment it very well. As soon as my new humidor arrives, I will pick some more up to put some age on. I would give it a 6/10 for how it was when i smoked it, could be a solid 7 or 8 easily when rested.
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    Rest does help these a lot. But, another thing to consider is your 35 minute smoke time. That sounds way way too fast, and that will certainly lead to bitter flavors and your cigar heating up way past the point it should. A corona will take me at the very shortest an hour, typically longer. A corona size has a small ring gauge and really should be smoked slower than say a Robusto.
    Yeah I think that was a good part of the problem too, but it was getting friggin cold outside haha
  • undulacundulac Posts: 1,129
    I agree with the previous poster. You need to slow down a little and let the cigar evolve. I had the same problem when I first got into cigars and it took a long time. Now that size cigar would take me well over an hour if not pushing 1.5. As for the Classic, I'm a huge fan.
  • wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
    It's a pretty good review, but like these other guys have said, when I saw "35 min" under smoke time, I was surprised. I can't remember the last time I smoked a cigar that was less than an hour.
  • illinoisgolf99illinoisgolf99 Posts: 1,507
    wwhwang:
    It's a pretty good review, but like these other guys have said, when I saw "35 min" under smoke time, I was surprised. I can't remember the last time I smoked a cigar that was less than an hour.
    +1 it took awhile for me to really slow down and savor the cigar but once I did it was MUCH different. You notice subtle things that you may not have noticed smoking quickly and you enjoy it much more IMO
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    illinoisgolf99:
    wwhwang:
    +1 it took awhile for me to really slow down and savor the cigar but once I did it was MUCH different. You notice subtle things that you may not have noticed smoking quickly and you enjoy it much more IMO
    agreed.

the bitter was from your smoke being too hot, and that comes from smoking quickly. that cigar would take an hour or more for me to finish... probably 90 minutes.
    kuzi16:
    illinoisgolf99:
    wwhwang:
    agreed.

the bitter was from your smoke being too hot, and that comes from smoking quickly. that cigar would take an hour or more for me to finish... probably 90 minutes.
    yeah I just saw the thinness of it compared to some other smokes I've had and thought it would be a quick smoke and acted accordingly. I'm learning though! lol
  • DavidcafDavidcaf Posts: 1
    I just tried this cigar and I didn't care for it at all. Throughout the smoke there was a horrible chemical- like taste. It was all I could do to get through it. I hung in hoping the flavor would settle-in but it was horrible right down to the nub. Regularly smoke all brands and types of premium cigars and I can't think of one I disliked more than this one. It retrospect I wish I had given up on it sooner and sparked up something more enjoyable. I savor my time enjoying my smokes and this experience quite literally left a bad taste in my mouth.
  • RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    Davidcaf:
    I just tried this cigar and I didn't care for it at all. Throughout the smoke there was a horrible chemical- like taste. It was all I could do to get through it. I hung in hoping the flavor would settle-in but it was horrible right down to the nub. Regularly smoke all brands and types of premium cigars and I can't think of one I disliked more than this one. It retrospect I wish I had given up on it sooner and sparked up something more enjoyable. I savor my time enjoying my smokes and this experience quite literally left a bad taste in my mouth.
    Was it ROTT? Also, did you smoke it fast? I know coronas get pretty nasty if you smoke em like a big ring.
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rain:
    Davidcaf:
    Was it ROTT? Also, did you smoke it fast? I know coronas get pretty nasty if you smoke em like a big ring.
    Yes, Rain is right on point. If you let a smaller ring gauge cigar overheat by puffing tok quockly, they will taste bitter and gross! Itbis way easier to smoke a corona too fast and have tjis happen, as opposed to a larger ring size. Many people enjoy the 5 vegas classic a lot, so maybe it is worth another shot.

Also, welcome!
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America