Home Cigar 101

Cigar Layout

Hey all! I'm new to storing cigars in humidors...
I currently have a 40-50 count humidor with about 30 cigars of various sizes. Is there a certain order or layout that helps them store better? Or is it more "whatever fits best"?

Thanks!

Comments

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    its whatever fits best. as long as your RH is good all should be fine.
  • AVJimAVJim Posts: 449
    I would segregate as much as possible for aging. If you are going to smoke quickly, I wouldn't worry about it too much. If you are aging them (over 3 months) the "personalities" will mingle.
    "I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member"
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    Yep.
    I think one of the BOTLs here said that arranging their humidor was like playing "cigar tetris" ....

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jgibv:
    kuzi16:
    Yep.
    I think one of the BOTLs here said that arranging their humidor was like playing "cigar tetris" ....
    yup I just arrange mine to fit as many in as possible. Now if your keeping them stored without cello then you might want to think about separating them especially Connie's. And absolutely do not store infused cigars in the same humidor as normal cigars.
  • armaes8armaes8 Posts: 279
    Rhamlin:
    jgibv:
    kuzi16:
    Yep.
    yup I just arrange mine to fit as many in as possible. Now if your keeping them stored without cello then you might want to think about separating them especially Connie's. And absolutely do not store infused cigars in the same humidor as normal cigars.

If you only have just one humi. I would put all the ones that you don't want to smoke on the bottom and the ones you will smoke often on top. It is a good idea to keep the cello on if they have it. After a few times of opening and closing you will have your "go to's" and the ones you want to let rest or in no big hurry to smoke. For those ones I just purchased an air tight Tupperware to store the ones I knew I wasn't going to smoke. Then I got a second medium Humi to keep them in. I just tried to keep the RH as stable as possible for the ones you are resting.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    AVJim:
    I would segregate as much as possible for aging. If you are going to smoke quickly, I wouldn't worry about it too much. If you are aging them (over 3 months) the "personalities" will mingle.
    nope. that is a myth. we are talking years and years of time with no cellophane and constant contact in an unopened humidor that is never rotated for this to happen. 3 months is not even enough time for the oils with one single cigar to marry let alone with an outside cigar. and of course there is the cellophane issue as well.

if it was that easy for a cigar to mingle flavors then i would buy two or three amazing cigars ans keep them in the humidor with crap to make a ton of good smokes out of bad ones and safe a ton of money.

if you are that worried you can segregate or just keep the cellophane on.

• AVJimAVJim Posts: 449
    kuzi16:
    AVJim:
    nope. that is a myth. we are talking years and years of time with no cellophane and constant contact in an unopened humidor that is never rotated for this to happen. 3 months is not even enough time for the oils with one single cigar to marry let alone with an outside cigar. and of course there is the cellophane issue as well.

if it was that easy for a cigar to mingle flavors then i would buy two or three amazing cigars ans keep them in the humidor with crap to make a ton of good smokes out of bad ones and safe a ton of money.

if you are that worried you can segregate or just keep the cellophane on.

Sorry to post a "myth". I was told this many years ago from a trusted B&M owner. I have always abided.... perhaps blindly. I never thought to question it. There are differing thoughts on this, obviously but see Kuzi's logic - makes sense. I doubt that I will alter my course although I trust the wisdom of Kuzi!
    "I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member"
  • Thanks for all the advice!
  • CigarMan37CigarMan37 Posts: 432
    Its a matter of preference just don't squish them by putting too much in your humidor. Common sense works best in this case.
  • bwcarter54bwcarter54 Posts: 142
    Everyone makes their own rules.
  • prosspross Posts: 874 ✭✭✭
    I go with a complete and utter clusterf*ck. makes it interesting when I reach in and grab one at random.

• insomnniapbinsomnniapb Posts: 590
    I have everything oragnized by various systems which seems like complete chaos if I look at it haha. I have a bunch of free room to work with now that my wineador is up though! It's awsomenessss!
  • beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    pross:
    I go with a complete and utter clusterf*ck. makes it interesting when I reach in and grab one at random.

+1
  • CigaryCigary Posts: 630
    Cigars are pretty much fine as long as you don't mix infused cigars with non infused. You can have pretty much anything else in your humidor as you like and try to keep at least 1/4 space in any count humidor. 3/4 packing leaves enough room for air to flow through it keeping your RH in check. Where mistakes are made is when you pack the entire humi with cigars and there is no uniformity of RH being given off to them...they aren't sardines so give them room to breathe. Keep your RH constant which is even more important and keep the outside temps manageable ( less than 78 degrees )