Home Cigar 101

Any benefit to waiting a few months?

christian1971christian1971 Posts: 467 ✭✭✭
Is there any benefit in taste to let liga privada 9 cigars sit in humi for a few months?

Comments

• catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    No...smoke it ASAP.
  • curtpickcurtpick Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭
    Best i can say is try it. I do. No real noticeable difference in that short time.
    Family, Friends, Golf, Cigars, Fine Whiskey, Good beer.... is there anything else ?  Follow on instagram @crguy1961
  • AVJimAVJim Posts: 449
    christian1971:
    Is there any benefit in taste to let liga privada 9 cigars sit in humi for a few months?
    Won't hurt them! Where in MN are you from? I live in Apple Valley.
    "I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member"
  • christian1971christian1971 Posts: 467 ✭✭✭
    AVJim:
    christian1971:
    Won't hurt them! Where in MN are you from? I live in Apple Valley.
    ......St.Cloud
  • blurrblurr Posts: 962 ✭✭
    I still have 4 lps that have been sitting for almost a year. Disappoints me to hear this, I have a huge backlog ofsmokes to get to and I like my stuff rested. Anybody ever wondered why lp 9s are said to be smoked right away? From an infusion company, and their "normal" blend had to be smoked right away? Again I haven't smoked more than 2 lp 9s, but why aren't they good rested and what is the logic behind this? I just don't trust DE anymore all my cigars are better to my tastes with a year of rest.
  • JHeweyJHewey Posts: 2,421 ✭✭✭
    blurr:
    I still have 4 lps that have been sitting for almost a year. Disappoints me to hear this, I have a huge backlog ofsmokes to get to and I like my stuff rested. Anybody ever wondered why lp 9s are said to be smoked right away? From an infusion company, and their "normal" blend had to be smoked right away? Again I haven't smoked more than 2 lp 9s, but why aren't they good rested and what is the logic behind this? I just don't trust DE anymore all my cigars are better to my tastes with a year of rest.
    Its personal preference really.. with age the No.9 Loses that kick so to speak and becomes very mellow and chocolatey (in my opinion). I like them both ways, rested or fresh, but alot of people like them fresh compared to rested. So its not to say the No.9 is bad aged its just different. I am sure someone will come in and explain it better then my noob self but i tried.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    From what I gathered from Kuzi, the #9's have gone thru significant aging before leaving the factory so they are ready to smoke ROTT.
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rhamlin:
    From what I gathered from Kuzi, the #9's have gone thru significant aging before leaving the factory so they are ready to smoke ROTT.
    Yes, in another thread on liga 9's kuzi mentioned that DE ages them until they pass a "taste test" so they are properly aged when you buy. So, Id give em a week or 2 to stabalize at your humidity, then smoke em up! Im sure if you held onto them though, theyd still be great. As Jhewey said, it's just your taste.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • curtpickcurtpick Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭
    ALL cigar companies have SOME age on the Tobacco. Its the nature of the manufacturing cycle
    And any reputable company isnt going to release a fresh leaf. It's just not gonna burn !
    Aging does exactly what its intended to. Eliminates any or most harshness , lessens spice, lessens nicotine.
    Sugars breakdown the leaf and you get either sweetness or creaminess.
    Think of any fine wine, those are aged, they are mellow, not offensive to the pallette, alcohol doesn't over power the sugars.
    Now think of a Boonefarm or TJ Swan. Horrid, no age, made to be drank right away for a cheap drunk and the taste of alcohol is the dominate taste on the pallette.

So my opinion. The #9 is a thick, chewy, tasty smoke. With exception to the initial draw.
    There you will get some Harshness and Spice, but it is fleeting.
    Finishes with That Creamy Sweet taste
    If I want to try and eliminate that harshness then let it rest. If not smoke the hell out em if thats what YOU like.
    As said. All personal preference, no Pros, no Cons.
    Enjoy !
    Family, Friends, Golf, Cigars, Fine Whiskey, Good beer.... is there anything else ?  Follow on instagram @crguy1961
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Gray4lines:
    Rhamlin:
    Yes, in another thread on liga 9's kuzi mentioned that DE ages them until they pass a "taste test" so they are properly aged when you buy. So, Id give em a week or 2 to stabalize at your humidity, then smoke em up! Im sure if you held onto them though, theyd still be great. As Jhewey said, it's just your taste.
    that is 100% true. JD explained it to me himself while standing in the aging room full of LP9s that were not ready yet.
    curtpick:
    ALL cigar companies have SOME age on the Tobacco. Its the nature of the manufacturing cycle
    on the tobacco yes, but not on the cigar. some companies do not have an aging room for rolled cigars. Padron has no aging room. they roll, band, put them in a box and ship em out to the retailers.

this is actually the cuban tradition. most non cuban cigar manufacturers age the cigar post roll. the reason why they do this is because when you add moisture when the wrapper is applied to a cigar it triggers a bit of fermentation. letting the cigar rest in an aging room for 6 months lets the fermentation stop and the ammonia and other off flavors of the fermentation process dissipate.

if you have ever purchased a Padron from your B&M and smoked it there and something didnt seem right (had a bit of harsh or chemical taste) then this is because the cigar is very young.

if you are going to buy Padron i would let them sit 6 months before smoking them.
    of course this six month waiting period is just my opinion.

the LP9 will never taste "young" at the B&M due to the above mentioned time in the aging room post roll.

i will even take it a step further and say that the longer you hold on to LP9s the worse off you will be. i do not stock them in my humidor. i can get them at my local B&M so if i am in the mood for one i buy it and smoke it there.
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This thread reminds me that I have a no.9 (Thanks Tony!) Maybe I'll light it up in the next month or so! I can christen our new deck when we move! I wish I had a B&M that stocked these... Maybe I'll have better luck in KY.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • JHeweyJHewey Posts: 2,421 ✭✭✭
    Gray4lines:
    This thread reminds me that I have a no.9 (Thanks Tony!) Maybe I'll light it up in the next month or so! I can christen our new deck when we move! I wish I had a B&M that stocked these... Maybe I'll have better luck in KY.
    If you ever want to buy some my B&M does stock them and always has them in stock..