Home Cigar 101

Chinese glue on my Spanish Cedar.

Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
Long story short,
I’ve got sticky glue on the Spanish cedar inside humi from the foam rubber strips falling off the ends of the dividers. How do I remove the glue?
Long version -
New humidor arrives. One of the Chinese made “Quality Importers” humidors. The dividers were not secured. They were left to bang around loose within the humidor during shipment. But the real problem is that the foam strips that were glued on the ends of the four dividers must have gotten hot during shipment at some point. All eight of these little strips fell off. All eight of the strips randomly landed glue side down somewhere in the humidor. Perhaps stupidly, I taste tested the Chinese glue. It’s bitter. (I then rinsed my mouth out with a swig of my favorite whiskey.) So I think the glue will harm my smokes. The handy man inside me says just fix it. So should I sand it down until I’ve sanded off all the glue? Whatever else can remove glue without doing further harm? Any advice on an actual fix for the problem other than “return it”? Has this ever happened to any of you?

Comments

• thedjfish@comcast.netthedjfish@comcast.net Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭
    i would say some sand paper, when i got one of my humi's the vendor was using the shelf in it to sell other stuff and had sales stickers on it,
    i used some sand paper to clean off the glues, brightened the wood a bit.
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    thedjfish@comcast.net:
    i would say some sand paper, when i got one of my humi's the vendor was using the shelf in it to sell other stuff and had sales stickers on it,
    i used some sand paper to clean off the glues, brightened the wood a bit.
    Thanks. I think I'll try fixing it rather than waiting on a replacement.
    Semper Fi.
  • onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sand it out! ANY kind of cleaner/solvent that you might try WILL leave residue's that WILL NOT come out. Start with 100 grit paper & finish with 120/150. I have built serveral humidors as well as custom furnuture over the last 20 + years.
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can you smell the glue fumes when you open the lid? Id send that sucker back, if so! But if you think you can save it, I understand not wanting the hassel of a return/wait.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
    onestrangeone:
    Sand it out! ANY kind of cleaner/solvent that you might try WILL leave residue's that WILL NOT come out. Start with 100 grit paper & finish with 120/150. I have built serveral humidors as well as custom furnuture over the last 20 + years.
    Thanks for the tips on the sandpaper. I think I'll work on it a little and have a working 100 count glass top. I know these Chinese products can suck sometimes but the seal is solid on all sides except along the front and I've got a fix in mind for that too. Thanks again.
    Gray4lines:
    Can you smell the glue fumes when you open the lid? Id send that sucker back, if so! But if you think you can save it, I understand not wanting the hassel of a return/wait.
    No, there's no noticeable smell that I can distinguish. I think any glue fumes would have still been present on the ends of the dividers. But now the glue is on the cedar where some cigars will need to be placed. The two things I know are wrong with this one,......I think I can fix. Who knows if the replacement would have different problems I couldn't begin to fix. The seal on this one is good except in the front and I have a plan to fix that too. I'm undecided about whether to get a replacement or fix two problems myself. I'm having fun regardless. I've had three shipments of cigars and cigar stuff come in and I feel like a kid at Christmas.