Home Cigar 101

Question about big Vs small ring guage

StsepasStsepas Posts: 475
I was reading the 6x60 post and didn't want to hijack the thread. I understand that you get most of the flavor from the wrapper ie smaller wrapper more flavor. With that being said I want to venture into smaller ring smokes. Like a lancero. My question is how much slower should I smoke compared to a 60guage so I can apriciate the flavor without smoking to fast. Please help so I can start to Appriciate different size sticks

Comments

• RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    Not sure I can give you "the" answer, you'll have to keep an eye on your smokes flavor. If it starts to taste bad (IE burned flavor, acidic flavor), then you're smoking too fast. This is my experiance, at least.
  • VisionVision Posts: 7,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Much slower then I watched at Castros... LOL... With a small ring just take your time. long slow draws works well for me. No machine gunning with the sub 40 Ring.
  • StsepasStsepas Posts: 475
    Lol I get ya. I don't know what I was thinking that night cus those LFD's usually take me 2 hrs to smoke
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Rain:
    Not sure I can give you "the" answer, you'll have to keep an eye on your smokes flavor. If it starts to taste bad (IE burned flavor, acidic flavor), then you're smoking too fast. This is my experiance, at least.
    yes. this exactly.

if you can develop a good pace with a smaller ring you will be rewarded.

• catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    I changed the way i hold them. I had one tar up on me once and it got ruined, so what I started doing was keeping my pinky near the end and if I felt it heat up, I put it down. Really, I think you should practice slower smoking in general. Now I'm not saying smoke a robusto in two hours as Kuzi might, but if you make it last 1.5 hours, you might notice a difference.

Here is how I see it. We smoke cigars to take a moment to relax, so put the cigar down, let it rest in between draws, and enjoy it for as long as you can. It's funny but i find cigars last a lot longer at the B&M when conversation is to be had because I'm busy talking. Now I have specific time ranges that i judge vitola's by, as in a tres petite corona or minuto (4.3/8x42) is an hour, a cremas, petite corona, or full corona (5-5.5x40-42) 1.25-1.5, robusto 1.5, lancero 1.5, toro or pyramide closer to 2 hours.

But yeah, I love smaller RG's for the most part. They age faster and a good wrapper is always tasty. I just cannot bring myself to smoke a 60rg very often, but that does not mean there are not good ones out there.
  • RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    Rain:
    yes. this exactly.

if you can develop a good pace with a smaller ring you will be rewarded.

Kuzi telling you your right makes your day.This is the second time he has confirmed an answer I've given, and I remember them both haha. Really makes me ponder how much I've learned from all the people here. Sorry to ramble!
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Get in the habit of putting it down between puffs that will be a big help
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good advice from everyone.

One thing I have noticed when smoking smaller ring gauges: if you are smoking too fast, the draw will constrict (I presume from a buildup of moisture/tar and the tobacco overheating and swelling). This is very noticeable in a smaller format.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • armaes8armaes8 Posts: 279
    I find it's best when you take smaller puffs on smaller ring gauges. Slow and smooth and you will be rewarded. The larger ring gauges I feel need a bit more attention to draws, meaning larger and longer. Sometimes I find myself getting too much at once and often times it can ruin your fun. It's mostly trial an error, and it also depends on the brand you are smoking. Your favorites you will savor and the others you just smoke.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    armaes8:
    I find it's best when you take smaller puffs on smaller ring gauges. Slow and smooth and you will be rewarded. The larger ring gauges I feel need a bit more attention to draws, meaning larger and longer. Sometimes I find myself getting too much at once and often times it can ruin your fun. It's mostly trial an error, and it also depends on the brand you are smoking. Your favorites you will savor and the others you just smoke.
    yeah easy pulls especially with coronas. Don't really know about lanceros never had one.
  • StsepasStsepas Posts: 475
    So I've taken this advice, and went to the B&M today and got to lancaros. One was a Cain Tubo. The other was a 7-20-4. And had an outstanding experience with both. I don't think that wil say I won't smoke bigger ring gauge. However I have an upmost appreciation to lancaros and there flavor profile.

With that said I think I've converted.