Home Non Cigar Related

Droid Wifi Problem

RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
I've had this phone from Glock for almost two months, had no issues. Today, when I try to turn on wifi, it just error. Oddly, it won't give me any details...just error. As far as I know, the phone did not update yesterday. Anything I can do?

Comments

• macs-smokesmacs-smokes Posts: 587
    first thing reboot... second check to see that one of the minions did not change a password on the phone. I personally rarely use WiFi on my phone unless i am creating the hotspot for my net-book. Yes I am a nerd who carries a net-book and a smart phone. Thus We truly live in the era of smart phones and dumb people. After you have checked your settings check the wifi source with another device. (someone else's phone, tablet)
  • RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    macs-smokes:
    first thing reboot... second check to see that one of the minions did not change a password on the phone. I personally rarely use WiFi on my phone unless i am creating the hotspot for my net-book. Yes I am a nerd who carries a net-book and a smart phone. Thus We truly live in the era of smart phones and dumb people. After you have checked your settings check the wifi source with another device. (someone else's phone, tablet)
    Thanks. I already did a reboot, no dice. I can't check the password because everything is grayed out (add network, manage etc etc). The only option is Wi Fi, and it just keeps saying error. My computer I'm typing this on is connected to the network, so that's not an issue.UGH.
    pm
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When you rebooted, did you take the battery out? These apps all run on Java. Java has always been rife with memory leaks. Remove the battery, that shuts down all, count to twenty, put it back in. Always works for me.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    webmost:
    When you rebooted, did you take the battery out? These apps all run on Java. Java has always been rife with memory leaks. Remove the battery, that shuts down all, count to twenty, put it back in. Always works for me.

Indeed, I took the battery out and that did the trick.
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rain:
    webmost:

Java sucks.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
    webmost:
    Rain:
    webmost:

Java sucks.

Cold reset is what we call it in the aviation world. Airplanes work the same way. :0)
  • Glock1975Glock1975 Posts: 5,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rain:
    webmost:

Sorry u are having problems with the phone, hope its nothing really wrong with it bro.
  • MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    I just experienced a problem...for some reason my android didn't update the clock/calendar after a reset. Until I changed it manually, it would not connect properly to wifi.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Martel:
    I just experienced a problem...for some reason my android didn't update the clock/calendar after a reset. Until I changed it manually, it would not connect properly to wifi.
    Like the guys recommended above, try yanking the battery; if that doesn't work, think of jsut replacing the widget. My Samsung Galaxy S3's clock/weathehr widget stopped updating itself for some reason one day (clock worked, but weather never updated, even manually) ; after googling, it seems it wasn't just me who had the problem, something broke in the last update they sent out, so I downloaded another clock/weather widget from the Play Store, HD Widgets, and I've been using it ever since
  • Roberto99Roberto99 Posts: 1,077
    xmacro:
    Martel:
    Like the guys recommended above, try yanking the battery; if that doesn't work, think of jsut replacing the widget. My Samsung Galaxy S3's clock/weathehr widget stopped updating itself for some reason one day (clock worked, but weather never updated, even manually) ; after googling, it seems it wasn't just me who had the problem, something broke in the last update they sent out, so I downloaded another clock/weather widget from the Play Store, HD Widgets, and I've been using it ever since
    I'm not sure where I originally saw this advice but it has fixed both my Motorola and my wife's Samsung. Wherever I read it recommended pulling the battery while the phone is still on. Don't know if that is important or not but that is what I have done a couple of times and it's worked.
  • MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    Yah, I got it to work. I do the battery yank on a fairly regular basis with this particular phone. Some of my problems stem from it having been in my pocket when I fell in a lake...
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
    While I can't easily do the battery yank ... I am very happy with my razr. Much upgrade in hardware from the X2 and I have only tested the water resistance in sink not the lake. Have some widgets and shortcuts that turn into the droid. That fix is reboot or trash and replace.