Home Cigar 101

Good soft flame lighter?

scarlinscarlin Posts: 1,592
So any recommendations on a good soft flame lighter? Tired of charring the crap outta my 'gars with torches.

Comments

• ddubridgeddubridge Posts: 3,978 ✭✭✭
    Havent been in the market for soft flame although it does intrigue me. If I do buy one, I have watched a few reviews and I think i've settled on the lotus 25. Brian Glen did a pretty good review on it
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGxbRWE5xKA
  • StsepasStsepas Posts: 475
    Drew that lighter is pretty neat. Is it odorless? I know they say to stay away from bic soft flame and lighters like em. Just curious!!!
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i have a Xikar EX and i love it. CLICK
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    i have a Xikar EX and i love it. CLICK
    I do like the EX's, and have been wanting to get one... I have a similar looking xikar torh that I love and it'd be good to have a nice soft flame too.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Stsepas:
    Drew that lighter is pretty neat. Is it odorless? I know they say to stay away from bic soft flame and lighters like em. Just curious!!!
    butane is odorless. torch or soft flame matters not.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use a bic all the time my only complaint is the flames need to be a little bigger.
  • perkinkeperkinke Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭
    I have a Zippo my brother gave me as a best man gift that I like to use when the wind permits, I have better luck getting a good, even light with a soft flame. Like most zippos I have to refuel it fairly often, but I like it as much for sentimental reasons as any other. I did find a dual torch/soft flame lighter that looked interesting that I may pick up (need to do some more research on the brand).
    perkinke:
    I have a Zippo my brother gave me as a best man gift that I like to use when the wind permits, I have better luck getting a good, even light with a soft flame. Like most zippos I have to refuel it fairly often, but I like it as much for sentimental reasons as any other. I did find a dual torch/soft flame lighter that looked interesting that I may pick up (need to do some more research on the brand).
    I have a zippo that I sometimes use with pipes... there is a little bit of fuel taste, but nothing that lingers. Putting a little bit of vasoline around the metal insert helps stretch the time needed between re-filling.
  • perkinkeperkinke Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭
    Gray4lines:
    perkinke:
    I have a zippo that I sometimes use with pipes... there is a little bit of fuel taste, but nothing that lingers. Putting a little bit of vasoline around the metal insert helps stretch the time needed between re-filling.
    I haven't noticed it, and I read about people getting the fuel taste with Zippos so i tested that with a Macanudo. I thought because of their consistency and super mild flavor I'd try one with the zippo and one with the torch and didn't notice a difference, and I may just not have a sophisticated palate yet, hard to say. I also let the zippo burn for a bit before it touches the stick and blow out a little before my first real puff.
    Yeah letting it burn for a second helps. I haven't tried mine on a cigar, but I only taste it when lighting the bottom of a pipe (really pulling in the flame a lot). I don't think it's a big deal, and zippo's are very cool.
  • RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    Having always used a torch, I used matches and am now hooked. Matches or soft flame for me.
    Rain:
    Having always used a torch, I used matches and am now hooked. Matches or soft flame for me.
    I just suck with matches... of course the only time I used them was on our honeymoon to Maine (I couldnt fly with my torch). It was windy everyday and took me at least 8-10 per light, God forbid I needed a re-light!!

Can you really tell a difference when not using a torch?
    Dub post

Since Im already typing... you have a favorite brand of match? Are they longer than regular matches, or just any one will do?
  • RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    Gray4lines:
    Rain:
    I just suck with matches... of course the only time I used them was on our honeymoon to Maine (I couldnt fly with my torch). It was windy everyday and took me at least 8-10 per light, God forbid I needed a re-light!!

The only difference for me is I don't burn my cigar...kind of more forgiving then a torch. As for match brands, I don't have a preference.If I do plan to use matches, I'll light my cigar inside the house or garage. You said it...good luck outside!
  • scarlinscarlin Posts: 1,592
    Rain:
    Gray4lines:
    Rain:

The only difference for me is I don't burn my cigar...kind of more forgiving then a torch. As for match brands, I don't have a preference.If I do plan to use matches, I'll light my cigar inside the house or garage. You said it...good luck outside!
    Way more forgiving. Torch will char a cigar so easily. I'm going to try lighter then cutting next time I smoke. Heard this takes care of the nasty burnt taste after lighting.
    scarlin:
    Rain:
    Gray4lines:
    Rain:

Way more forgiving. Torch will char a cigar so easily. I'm going to try lighter then cutting next time I smoke. Heard this takes care of the nasty burnt taste after lighting.
    I hadnt heard of doing that until today when I watched trident's ramon bueso odyssey review. Ill give that a try next time!
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Corona Old Boys get good reviews from pipe smokers, though they're hella expensive, and there are very few places that repair them. I'd get a Xikar if I were looking for a soft flame for those reasons; the life time, no questions asked warranty they have on their products is freaking awesome
  • JHeweyJHewey Posts: 2,421 ✭✭✭
    scarlin:
    Rain:
    Gray4lines:
    Rain:

How close are you holding the torch to the cigar? I have been using a torch since i started smoking cigars and never have a burnt taste after lighting..
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those cedar strips are good to.
  • bbass2bbass2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭
    If you don't care about looks Ronson makes a good soft flame. They are colored plastic like a bic unlike the nice looking torch they make. I think mine was a 4pack and under $5.
  • mmccartneydcmmccartneydc Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭
    bbass2:
    If you don't care about looks Ronson makes a good soft flame. They are colored plastic like a bic unlike the nice looking torch they make. I think mine was a 4pack and under $5.
    pics plz!
  • bbass2bbass2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭
  • mmccartneydcmmccartneydc Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭
    Very cool, I would not have thought that was any different than a bic. Thx!
  • CigaryCigary Posts: 630
    I've been a fan of the soft flame for decades...unlike a torch that will cook the end of your cigar and then that harshness is then drawn up into the entire length of your cigar...it's just been contaminated. A soft flame burns at half the temp that a torch does and when the flame of a torch hits tobacco you are basically scorching it. With a double and triple you're only making things worse unless you are able to control the actual end of that flame where it isn't touching the tobacco...it's not easy as one thinks because even the heat from a torch is so hot...and one of the things we want to do is prepare a cigar so that it gives back to you the very best it can be. JMHO
  • wahooschockwahooschock Posts: 792 ✭✭✭
    Necro...any new ones? Are there any on ccom?
    I love my pack and a good community (cigars/Vape)
    "I'm at the point in my life where if it doesn't taste good,I'm not putting it in my mouth"
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As for charring the end of the cigar when lighting, I've found that if you never let the blue tip of the torch flame touch the cigar and simply toast the foot with the superheated bubble of air just ahead of the blue tip you'll minimize or eliminate the charring.

And as for the soft flame aspect, that ol' cheap-@ss lighter I use and keep touting to you guys has both - soft flame and torch. By now, you must think I'm selling the darned things but I'm just amazed with 'em. Reliability, dual-function, doubles as a table lighter, huge fuel tank, cheap price. I love 'em..... ??
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cigary:
    I've been a fan of the soft flame for decades...unlike a torch that will cook the end of your cigar and then that harshness is then drawn up into the entire length of your cigar...it's just been contaminated. A soft flame burns at half the temp that a torch does and when the flame of a torch hits tobacco you are basically scorching it. With a double and triple you're only making things worse unless you are able to control the actual end of that flame where it isn't touching the tobacco...it's not easy as one thinks because even the heat from a torch is so hot...and one of the things we want to do is prepare a cigar so that it gives back to you the very best it can be. JMHO
    Yep, I agree. I think some guys, without realizing it, are actually charring their cigars with torches and simply don't realize the improvement in flavor that can be achieved with a gentler approach.