Home Cigar 101

V-cutters. Any opinions?

Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
I have only smoked one cigar that was cut this way. It was cut for me by a fellow customer once at my favorite B&M. Wanted to know if any of your opinions or experiences wit the V-cut could help me decide if it's worth a couple of twenty dollar bills or not.

Comments

• RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    Did you like it? Punch, Vcut, knife...whatever works best for you man! IIRC, some people think a Vcut lets the tar build up more...not sure, though.
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rain:
    Did you like it? Punch, Vcut, knife...whatever works best for you man! IIRC, some people think a Vcut lets the tar build up more...not sure, though.

I liked the way it felt on my lips but I didn't notice any tar buildup, but I should consider tar buildup and it would seem even easier to get tar buildup even just on my lips with a V-cut if you weren't careful. I’ve been real happy with my Xikar Xi2 guillotine cutter but curiosity always gets me looking at new stuff.
  • Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    Bob Luken:
    Rain:

I liked the way it felt on my lips but I didn't notice any tar buildup, but I should consider tar buildup and it would seem even easier to get tar buildup even just on my lips with a V-cut if you weren't careful. I’ve been real happy with my Xikar Xi2 guillotine cutter but curiosity always gets me looking at new stuff.
    Here I was about to comment that it makes the cigar look like the head of a ****, and then you go and say something like "I liked the way it felt on my lips."
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
    Ken Light:
    Bob Luken:
    Rain:

Here I was about to comment that it makes the cigar look like the head of a ****, and then you go and say something like "I liked the way it felt on my lips."
    Ha! I knew it too. You think I didn't try and come up with a better way to write that? I didn't so I just wrote it!

"Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar." - Sigmund Freud

• Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lol!!

Ive actually never tried a v-cut. I typically prefer an open draw so usually a punch (or any other cut beside a guillotine) is too restrictive i will punch super large rg's sometimes.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    double guillotine for small ring and a punch for larger. I hate v-cut. Like Ken said.
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Buy the Xikar, all the cheaper ones blow. I'm not a fan, but know a lot of guys that love them.
    catfishbluezz:
    Buy the Xikar, all the cheaper ones blow. I'm not a fan, but know a lot of guys that love them.
    Yep. This guy had a Xikar and really bragged on it and the v-cut in general. (Xikar) Brand is what I've been looking to get. But I might rather spend $40 on cigars.
  • Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    Bob Luken:
    Ken Light:
    Bob Luken:
    Rain:

Ha! I knew it too. You think I didn't try and come up with a better way to write that? I didn't so I just wrote it!

LoL atta boy. Welcome aboard, you'll fit in just fine.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
    Ken Light:
    Bob Luken:
    Ken Light:
    Bob Luken:
    Rain:

LoL atta boy. Welcome aboard, you'll fit in just fine.
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Bob Luken:
    catfishbluezz:
    Yep. This guy had a Xikar and really bragged on it and the v-cut in general. (Xikar) Brand is what I've been looking to get. But I might rather spend $40 on cigars.
    do you have a good cutter? All it takes is a bad cut to ruin a $10 smoke and you'll regret that sentiment. Spend the money on a good cutter and it will save you money in bad cuts and destroyed caps in no time. I use a Palio, best investment I've ever made.
  • RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    Need to send those scissors this way then!
  • StsepasStsepas Posts: 475
    I use a V-cut on ovals or on box press
    catfishbluezz:
    Bob Luken:
    catfishbluezz:
    do you have a good cutter? All it takes is a bad cut to ruin a $10 smoke and you'll regret that sentiment. Spend the money on a good cutter and it will save you money in bad cuts and destroyed caps in no time. I use a Palio, best investment I've ever made.
    True, I’ve been real happy with my Xikar Xi2 guillotine cutter but curiosity always gets me looking at new stuff. I'll check out the Palio. Thanks.
  • JHeweyJHewey Posts: 2,421 ✭✭✭
    I V-Cut everything except Smaller ring gauges and torps. So yeah i enjoy the V-cut and was actually looking into the Xikar as my cheap one that lasted me a year just broke.
  • prosspross Posts: 874 ✭✭✭
    I use my Xikar v-cutter on almost everything. Perfect cut every time. Can't say enough good about it.

• perkinkeperkinke Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭
    I picked up a cheaper V just to try it out, for me it wasn't anything special. I prefer a punch or standard double guillotine. the V seemed like halfway between a punch and a standard cut, little more open than a punch, less than a straight cut. There's not really a downside to it, but like everyone else has said, it's all preference.
  • Roberto99Roberto99 Posts: 1,077
    Ken Light:
    Bob Luken:
    Rain:

LOL! The reason I quit smoking cigars for 10 years...I eventually got over it but I don't think I will be using a V-cutter anytime soon!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rY1eXnbB1Mg

(sorry, I'm not good at formatting this stuff into the threads)
  • armaes8armaes8 Posts: 279
    I like the V cut the best because it keeps the cut end together a little bit better. I also like the feel of the Xi1 in my hands cutting. My be worth investing in a V cutter.
  • taythegibstaythegibs Posts: 2,025
    the v-cut has become my favorite cut, with a punch second, and the guillotine being my least favorite. the only v-cutter i have now (a dog got my nicer one...) is a cheap one but i sharpened it myself.
  • CigaryCigary Posts: 630
    The best V cutter I've found in the market is the Boston V Cutter...the first one I saw was about 15 years ago and it's pretty impressive and as big as it was they have a smaller version called the Lil Guy which I have as well. Even with the size of that one which is pretty small but it cuts like a pro and at the cost of over a $100 it still works like new...15 years later. There are other inexpensive ones like Wolfe or Xikar and they are good ones...just don't buy the cheaper ones...they just rip the head up after only a few times. When it comes to the type of cutters you buy..don't skimp on the cheap units cuz you'll only replace them very soon.