Home Cigar 101

Best "seconds" you've tried?

Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
Best "seconds" or otherwise inexpensive cigars you've tried? And if they're good, where did you get them?

Comments

• RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    Be afraid...I learned my lesson on spending money on seconds. You can get some good sticks for around the same price of seconds. Not saying don't try any, but when you buy a used car you expect issues.
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rain:
    Be afraid...I learned my lesson on spending money on seconds. You can get some good sticks for around the same price of seconds. Not saying don't try any, but when you buy a used car you expect issues.
    Understood ;)

Now, with that beind said, I bought the Nicaragua 90+ Seconds here on CCom. Some are great, some are not so great. Since they are pretty cheap, I don't feel too bad about them when I have to put one out.
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bought some rocky patel xouts for a great price... I would never have bought them at reg price, but gave the 2nds a try and they are great. Ended up being edge maduro and sungrown (smallest rgs i could get). I dont usually go for Rockies, but these impressed me.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
    This make me wonder why all companies don't sell seconds. I mean, not every Opus is rolled perfect. Do they just sell it or throw them away?
    Rain:
    This make me wonder why all companies don't sell seconds. I mean, not every Opus is rolled perfect. Do they just sell it or throw them away?
    I think many do sell them, if not directly as seconds. A company may not want their name tied to bad sticks (even if they are 2nds) so they let them go to other retailers who sell them under a different name. I dunno... but I imagine not many places want to throw that much tobacco away
    Gray4lines:
    Rain:
    I think many do sell them, if not directly as seconds. A company may not want their name tied to bad sticks (even if they are 2nds) so they let them go to other retailers who sell them under a different name. I dunno... but I imagine not many places want to throw that much tobacco away
    My guess also.
    I could easily see a company throwing it out, or at least SAYING that they did. "Padron has the highest standards, blah blah blah" something like that. Or maybe giving the bad ones to the rollers to smoke hahaha.
    Gray4lines:
    I bought some rocky patel xouts for a great price... I would never have bought them at reg price, but gave the 2nds a try and they are great. Ended up being edge maduro and sungrown (smallest rgs i could get). I dont usually go for Rockies, but these impressed me.
    Bought a Rocky Patel "Factory Overruns" sampler from "Onlineretailerwithbadreputation.com" and no labels to be found. Of the 3 or 4 dark wrapper types are indistinguishable from one another. Haven't tried them yet. But not sure which type I'll have smoked when I do. LOL
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Davidoff 3x3 or 4x4 bundles. Unreal if you like Dominican conny
    catfishbluezz:
    !!! I do. I will look for these
    catfishbluezz:
    Thanks for the tip. Any maduro suggestions?
  • pelirrojopelirrojo Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭
    If you are a fan of AJ, his seconds or "overruns" are good. I picked up a mazo of 20 petite coronas last summer and am down to my last one. Not a bum stick in the whole batch. The only downside is you really have no idea what kind of a blend you're going to get.
    Bob Luken:
    catfishbluezz:
    Not a big maduro fan, but I'd imagine there are plenty here. Honestly for cheap maddy, I like the Oliva G which can be had near $3 a piece and sometimes under. Also a big fan of Perdomo Habano maddy and the ESV, both can be found on sale at times.
  • alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    I bet I went through around 60 Decade seconds when I first got into the hobby. I also went through quite a few Perdomo ESV seconds. I never had a problem with any of them, they were fantastic smokes. As far as good maduro seconds, I don't think I ever got any seconds that were maduro, but you can normally get CAO MX2's for almost seconds prices if you catch them on deal, and they are fanastic maddies, one of my favorites.
  • ddubridgeddubridge Posts: 3,978 ✭✭✭
    catfishbluezz:
    I will second that. Love this cigar. Trying to find the 4x4 in the lonsdale vitola. So is Gray4lines now. lol.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    catfishbluezz:
    my only minor issue is that they seem yo burn fast. but if thats all there is to complain about then its a no brainer.
    ddubridge:
    catfishbluezz:
    I will second that. Love this cigar. Trying to find the 4x4 in the lonsdale vitola. So is Gray4lines now. lol.
    Nailed it! Let me know if you grab some. These will definitely be on my next purchase
    Gray4lines:
    ddubridge:
    catfishbluezz:
    Nailed it! Let me know if you grab some. These will definitely be on my next purchase
    My b&m has 3x3's if you like me to grab you a couple next time I'm there I would be happy to. I don't think they have lancero in 3x3's(tubo). Haven't found a good source for 4x4's as of yet. Let me know if you do and want to split a bundle.
    ddubridge:
    Gray4lines:
    ddubridge:
    catfishbluezz:
    My b&m has 3x3's if you like me to grab you a couple next time I'm there I would be happy to. I don't think they have lancero in 3x3's(tubo). Haven't found a good source for 4x4's as of yet. Let me know if you do and want to split a bundle.
    DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUbridge....PM to you broseph
    catfishbluezz:
    ddubridge:
    Gray4lines:
    ddubridge:
    catfishbluezz:
    I will look for 4x4's too! I will check my b&m and if they dont have any, i may hif you up for some tubos! Thanks, dude.
  • ImgemboImgembo Posts: 661 ✭✭
    Gray4lines:
    catfishbluezz:
    ddubridge:
    Gray4lines:
    ddubridge:
    catfishbluezz:
    I will look for 4x4's too! I will check my b&m and if they dont have any, i may hif you up for some tubos! Thanks, dude.
    Going to have to agree with what they said I'm smoking one now and it is just great. My b&m only stocks the robustos and it is burning pretty fast. If you guys have a good source on them would you mind messaging me? They are still pretty pricy down here in the south.
    Imgembo:
    Gray4lines:
    catfishbluezz:
    ddubridge:
    Gray4lines:
    ddubridge:
    catfishbluezz:
    Going to have to agree with what they said I'm smoking one now and it is just great. My b&m only stocks the robustos and it is burning pretty fast. If you guys have a good source on them would you mind messaging me? They are still pretty pricy down here in the south.
    WORDTOYAMUTHAPMTOYOU
  • AVJimAVJim Posts: 449
    Rain:
    Now, with that beind said, I bought the Nicaragua 90+ Seconds here on CCom. Some are great, some are not so great. Since they are pretty cheap, I don't feel too bad about them when I have to put one out.
    Randy, I smoked the one you sent this morning. Nothing wrong with that stick! I enjoyed it a lot. Thanks bud! Your sticks are 2-0!
    "I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member"
  • bripperbripper Posts: 74 ✭✭
    Nicaraguan ligero-laced 2nds in the maduro wrapper are in my rotation. They are Oliva Cain 2nds -- and delicious values.
    http://www.cigar.com/cigars/viewcigar.asp?brand=1470
    The others in there have Habano wrappers. Also worth trying.
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    If you guys want 3x3's and 4x4's pm me I got a good source
    Money can't buy taste
  • mmccartneydcmmccartneydc Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭
    PM to ya Lee!
    mmccartneydc:
    PM to ya Lee!
    me too.
  • HeavyHeavy Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭
    Bob Luken:
    catfishbluezz:
    Rocky Patel Vintage 1990 seconds.
    Heavy:
    Bob Luken:
    catfishbluezz:
    Rocky Patel Vintage 1990 seconds.
    Thanks heavy, I'll give them a try.