Home Cigar 101

Selecting a humidor

I have been smoking cigars for a little while now and am ready to take the next step.  I would like to start things off right and ask you fellow enthusiasts to suggest a good quality humidor.   I could easily go and buy the most expensive or the most popular named brand, but I look to you for suggestions based on experience.  Capacity for 75-100 with a glass top and the ability to separate flavors and types is ideal.  Thanks in advance.  

Comments

• j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    The first recommendation I and many others would make is to buy one that is bigger than you think you'll need, they fill up really fast.

Check out the following link, it shows a nice variety of glass top humidors. Link!!
  • Appreciate it...appears to be a nice selection.  I will not be purchasing for a few more days if anyone else wants to chime in.  I am also interested in an all time "top ten" list of favorite cigars.  Again, based on experience, NOT price or brand name.  I'll be back tomorrow, so please, the more responses the better.
  • alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    j0z3r:
    The first recommendation I and many others would make is to buy one that is bigger than you think you'll need, they fill up really fast.
    Definite second there. I bought my first humidor about 7 months ago, and now I have two 25-50 ct, one 75 ct, one 150 ct, and two coolers. Since I just bought the second cooler, I still have a little room left, but not much.

As far as a top ten list, my current top ten (in no particular order) would be:

Padilla Serie 68
    Defiance
    Vigilante Maduro
    Alec Bradley Pryme
    Rocky Patel Signature
    Rocky Patel Decade
    Joya de Nicaragua Antano
    ITC 10th Anniversary
    Jesus Fuego Natural
    777 by Jesus Fuego
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    mike_wilkins50:
    I have been smoking cigars for a little while now and am ready to take the next step.  I would like to start things off right and ask you fellow enthusiasts to suggest a good quality humidor.   I could easily go and buy the most expensive or the most popular named brand, but I look to you for suggestions based on experience.  Capacity for 75-100 with a glass top and the ability to separate flavors and types is ideal.  Thanks in advance.  
    Take a look at where you live... If you are in place that has drastic season changes (hot to cold, dry to humid) then I would honestly, hands down, recommend a Wine Fridge... buy a big one and truly not worry about anything

And I mean ANYTHING
    1. Temp
    2. Humidity (with beads of course!)
    3. Beetles
    4. Air flow
    5. Ease of reach
    And many more benefits... It just makes sense
  • jpclotfelterjpclotfelter Posts: 294
    j0z3r:

Check out the following link, it shows a nice variety of glass top humidors. Link!!
    Absolutely buy one that is bigger than what you think you will need. I bought a 150 capacity and had it filled up within a few weeks. Now I've gt a large display humidor in addition to my glass top 150.
  • My wife bought me a 50ct  humidor thinking that 50 cigars is alot but... that thing filled up after a month lol. It was a gift so I cant complain but a bigger one would have been very nice...

Some of my favorite smokes include:

Man of War

Drew Estate Java

San Cristobal

Romeo Y Julieta Reserva Real

Gurkha Grand Reserve

Padilla Miami

Graycliff Double Espresso

5 Vegas Limitada 09

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    but more on topic....

if you are looking for a 50 count because you want to be able to buy a box, then go with a 300ct.
    if you are looking for a 150ct because you will "never need than many cigars" then buy a 1200ct.
    if you are looking for a 1000ct because it will be a good end table, buy a 5,000ct cabinet.
    if you are looking for a cabinet, just build a walk in.
    if you are looking to build a walk in, just buy yourself your own shop.
    if you already have your own shop, quit your ****!!

im trying to decide if this is a serious post or not.

• olerob_50+olerob_50+ Posts: 52
    This noobie started laughing then I realized You are exactly right Kuzi16!!
  • TheedgeTheedge Posts: 316
    Same story here - I started up (used to smoke cheap ones years ago) when a customer gave me a 50 count humidor. That now sits in the kitchen for the ones I will be smoking. I have 150 count in the other room for the ones I'm hanging on to for a while. I should have purchased something to hold 500...It's just fun to have a large variety of different brands, shapes, sizes.

Just my two cents, but I don't see any advantage in having any glass? I would suggest something with a digital hygrometer as well.
  • cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    I solved my problem by building one to suit me. I'm looking at buying a new house soon, and am planning on possibly making a walk-in....possibly...
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    cabinetmaker:
    I solved my problem by building one to suit me. I'm looking at buying a new house soon, and am planning on making a walk-in. Absolutely!
    fixed that for ya.
  • Garen BGaren B Posts: 977
    kuzi16:
    cabinetmaker:
    I solved my problem by building one to suit me. I'm looking at buying a walk in that's big enough to live in!
    fixed that for ya.
    Fixed it again.
  • cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    lmao!! twice!!
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    I've always wondered if I might just keep buying enough to start my own shop...

It'd be cool to have a whole walk-in for cigars a year or older... that'd be friggin' sweet!!!!