Home Cigar 101

Habanos Cohibas

First post and dumb question.

I bought a box of 25 of these in the Dominican Republic (still here) for a friend, now a former friend. He doesn't want them now because he says they're too much money. I have no idea but I think I got a good deal according to others. The box is sealed with a stamp. The store won't take them back, or, rather they will with a 1000 peso ($40) penalty. My question is can I sell them in the US? Should I bite the bullet and pay the $40 penalty? I'm hesitant to dispute the charge because international credit card rules generally don't side with the consumer, at least that's my experience. I'll be back next week. Thanks, glenn

Comments

• VisionVision Posts: 7,764 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pictures will help...... Welcome to the forum
  • mmccartneydcmmccartneydc Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭
    i say take the penalty and tell jackazz he owes u!
  • RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    I don't know why you would not be able to sell them in the US. Might not be worth your time, though. Why not keep em and smoke em?
  • blurrblurr Posts: 962 ✭✭
    Pictures will help definitely. If they are the Cuban type, definitely can't be sold in the US (legally ahem). Taking a 40 dollar cut on a box of Cohibas isn't much. Getting a good deal on cohibas, thats a bit in the "you may have fakes" category. Anyways post up some pics for us, so we can give you some suggestions. If they are of the "forbidden fruit" type, you won't have any trouble finding someone in the US to pay well above your cost to help you move them to a new home. Just can't do it legally, if you know what we mean.
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    blurr:
    Pictures will help definitely. If they are the Cuban type, definitely can't be sold in the US (legally ahem). Taking a 40 dollar cut on a box of Cohibas isn't much. Getting a good deal on cohibas, thats a bit in the "you may have fakes" category. Anyways post up some pics for us, so we can give you some suggestions. If they are of the "forbidden fruit" type, you won't have any trouble finding someone in the US to pay well above your cost to help you move them to a new home. Just can't do it legally, if you know what we mean.
    Yeah... I wouldn't raise too much of a fuss with credit card company's either (You are from the U.S., correct?) That's a good way to receive a letter from the U.S. treasury threatening you aka you're caught!

As mentioned, a U.S. citizen cannot legally buy, trade for, receive for free, sell, or have in their possession anything cuban, no matter where it is bought/received (Unless you're a Cuban/American who I believe there are exceptions for)

So be smart.

Don't Habano's have a verification code on the seal? You go to the Habanos web site, type it in, see if it's legit, and if the product that it links to that unique code is in fact the cigars you have in your possession. Instant verification.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • gsussergsusser Posts: 11
    The store came recommended by several people so I have to believe they're the real deal. [notwithstanding the penalty they want to charge.] A box of 25 cost $225.

I won't smoke 'em myself because I hear it's no good for my health. Haha, I just made a zillion enemies here. I just don't enjoy smoking. I'd give them away one at a time, but I don't know if I know 25 people that would appreciate them.

Can someone tell me if I got a very good deal or do you need more info? If I didn't get an incredibly fantastic deal, I'll incur the penalty. And how long will they last without fancy storage? Like I said, I'll give them away to appreciative people; I just don't know if I know that many people who smoke cigars. Offhand, I can think of 0, haha.
    Oh, I'd post pictures if anyone's interested and if someone could show me how to do so.
  • Roberto99Roberto99 Posts: 1,077
    Usually they are not the real deal in the islands, but you just may have lucked out. You would need to tell us the size or name of the cigars in question (unless I missed that somewhere) for us to tell you if you got a good deal or not. Look up the code to verify they are legit like grey noted above.
    I can think of about, oh...25 people off the top of my head that would appreciate a legit one ;)
  • Roberto99Roberto99 Posts: 1,077
    oh yeah, authentic Habanos come out with strict pricing from the manufacturer if the deal is incredibly good they are most likely fakes.
  • ddubridgeddubridge Posts: 3,978 ✭✭✭
    gsusser:
    Oh, I'd post pictures if anyone's interested and if someone could show me how to do so.
    Photobucket.com - upload the image to photobucket and selsect the IMG code. Paste this code directly into the message on the forum. If you need more help PM me.
    I checked the Habanos site and I think got a raw deal, bummer. The code is 000003 394086. I got a response on the site to recheck the number. The box has the Cuban stamp that you see on the Habana site but also has a sticker that reads HABANOS and underneath DENOMINACION DE ORIGEN PROTEGIDA. Protegida = protected. Also on the stamp there is D.O.P. - that generally stands for dominican pesos. I don't see anything about the size of the cigar.

And yes, I'm from NJ which is arguably part of the US. So, I guess I won't find too many sympathetic G-Men.

Did I mention that I hate my boss?
  • jliujliu Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭✭
    pictures please. close ups of the cigar band. picture of bottom of the box.
  • thedjfish@comcast.netthedjfish@comcast.net Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭
    that code comes up as "Warning Non registered code for Habanos S.A."
    yikes, take them back now!
    mmccartneydc:

I tried! Now they don't even want the 1000 peso "penalty." Only exchange and there's nothing I want. I pointed out they weren't Cuban and they adamantly denied it. I couldn't get anywhere. There's not much I can do but report them to the tourism office. I'll upload photos when I get back to my hotel.
    gsusser:
    mmccartneydc:
    I tried! Now they don't even want the 1000 peso "penalty." Only exchange and there's nothing I want. I pointed out they weren't Cuban and they adamantly denied it. I couldn't get anywhere. There's not much I can do but report them to the tourism office. I'll upload photos when I get back to my hotel.
    Sorry bro, you're screwed! Not a dang thing you can do about it either. Sucks so bad!
    Take em and smack your friend with them.
    I tried pasting the photos below. Hopefully it worked, but it's probably irrelevant since we know the cigars are bogus.

I decided not to let them get away with it without a fight. It should only take a short time to cause them a headache. The tourism office is 3 blocks from where I'm staying and I understand they don't take these sorts of things lightly, that is, problems with tourists.

Second, can someone tell me the law? Is it illegal for an American to buy Cuban cigars or just bring them to the USA? If I dispute the charge with my credit card company, I can always say I brought back the box as proof and gave away the cigars in the DR. Then again, I strongly doubt there is any communication between the banks and ATF or whatever government agency handles it when it comes to chargebacks.

Anyway, here's the photos, I hope....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v394/gsusser/photo3.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v394/gsusser/photo2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v394/gsusser/photo1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v394/gsusser/photo.jpg
    They might get mad at him for selling fake Cubans, but can they do anything to you for trying to buy them?These seems on par with going to the cops because someone stole your meth.
  • thedjfish@comcast.netthedjfish@comcast.net Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭
    sorry man but no prod. date, and hologram is wrong, you got skunked
    Rain:
    They might get mad at him for selling fake Cubans, but can they do anything to you for trying to buy them?These seems on par with going to the cops because someone stole your meth.

I go to different cops for that.
  • armaes8armaes8 Posts: 279
    Bummer man Sorry that happened to you
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Sorry bud but take them back!! If it ain't right walk away and buy the real thing!! Coho as are the most counterfeited besides montes and you really should know what your buying next time
    Money can't buy taste
  • beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    gsusser:
    I tried pasting the photos below. Hopefully it worked, but it's probably irrelevant since we know the cigars are bogus. I decided not to let them get away with it without a fight. It should only take a short time to cause them a headache. The tourism office is 3 blocks from where I'm staying and I understand they don't take these sorts of things lightly, that is, problems with tourists. Second, can someone tell me the law? Is it illegal for an American to buy Cuban cigars or just bring them to the USA? If I dispute the charge with my credit card company, I can always say I brought back the box as proof and gave away the cigars in the DR. Then again, I strongly doubt there is any communication between the banks and ATF or whatever government agency handles it when it comes to chargebacks. Anyway, here's the photos, I hope.... http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v394/gsusser/photo3.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v394/gsusser/photo2.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v394/gsusser/photo1.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v394/gsusser/photo.jpg
    AHHHHHHH, FEET!
    beatnic:
    gsusser:
    I tried pasting the photos below. Hopefully it worked, but it's probably irrelevant since we know the cigars are bogus. I decided not to let them get away with it without a fight. It should only take a short time to cause them a headache. The tourism office is 3 blocks from where I'm staying and I understand they don't take these sorts of things lightly, that is, problems with tourists. Second, can someone tell me the law? Is it illegal for an American to buy Cuban cigars or just bring them to the USA? If I dispute the charge with my credit card company, I can always say I brought back the box as proof and gave away the cigars in the DR. Then again, I strongly doubt there is any communication between the banks and ATF or whatever government agency handles it when it comes to chargebacks. Anyway, here's the photos, I hope.... http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v394/gsusser/photo3.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v394/gsusser/photo2.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v394/gsusser/photo1.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v394/gsusser/photo.jpg
    As I stated before, an American buying a cuban anywhere is illegal. You cannot legally buy, or even have in your possession, anything cuban, not even if it's free or a gift or if you are out of the country.

A few years ago, the u.s. treasury was all about catching people and sending warning letters saying youve been caught. Not so much anymore I dont believe, but Id be careful... I wouldnt flaunt it too much (notbsaying you are) and paying via credit card and leaving a paper trail is likely how others were busted, but one-time deal, youre fine.
    Rain:
    AHHHHHHH, FEET!
    Lololol!
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think we ought to ban the sale of these things. That ought to bring that bearded commie to his senses. Yeah. That'll do it.

Give it time.

I was up at my bro in law's place at Easter. He claimed all he ever smoked was Cubans.

Right. Lives north of Philly.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Take the $40 hit, call it a lesson learned...