Home Cigar 101
Options

Smokey boxes in your coolidor?

Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,016 ✭✭✭✭✭
Got some used cigar boxes from my B&M to use in my future coolidor and they're smelling pretty smokey. They were used as display boxes and the entire shop is humidified but it's also the smoking lounge area too. If I use these in my coolidor will they make fresh sticks smell like stale smoke? or not?

Comments

• Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bob Luken:
    Got some used cigar boxes from my B&M to use in my future coolidor and they're smelling pretty smokey. They were used as display boxes and the entire shop is humidified but it's also the smoking lounge area too. If I use these in my coolidor will they make fresh sticks smell like stale smoke? or not?

Someone had this issues before, I will try and find the thread...but I believe his whole cooler started smelling "like an ash tray." No doubt it might make some sticks taste musty, especially long term storage (that is, if the odor is strong enough).

Maybe try nespaper or baking soda in/around them? The smell may wear off considerably. If the smell isnt too strong, I would throw them in and check on it in a day or two to see if you can smell em.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    if they're smoky, it may be more trouble than its worth to get them back to normal, if it's even possible. Personally, I'd throw them out on the patio and use them to store my lighters and cutters and not take the chance; old cigar smoke is pretty rank and nasty.
  • Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    xmacro:
    if they're smoky, it may be more trouble than its worth to get them back to normal, if it's even possible. Personally, I'd throw them out on the patio and use them to store my lighters and cutters and not take the chance; old cigar smoke is pretty rank and nasty.
  • Options
    Sooooooo, this brings up my question again from another post. http://www.cigar.com/cs/forums/thread/648602.aspx

If the boxes get this smokey from simply being open and on display in my B&M that allows smoking in the showroom/lounge, what affect would the smoke have on the displayed cigars themselves?
    Doesn't seem like it would be good for them, ESPECIALLY the ones without cellophane.

• Options
    Good point not really sure how to answer that. I guess my question would be is it the pleasing aroma of good cigar smoke that most of us love or the rank stink of a cigar that's been stubbed out? I definitely wouldn't want that smell on my prized possessions.
  • Options
    Rhamlin:
    Good point not really sure how to answer that. I guess my question would be is it the pleasing aroma of good cigar smoke that most of us love or the rank stink of a cigar that's been stubbed out? I definitely wouldn't want that smell on my prized possessions.

They don't smell too bad when they're dry. You can tell they've been in a smokey room but also that it's cigar smoke and not your average rank, nasty cigarette smoke. However, when I began my coolidor project and actually started to raise the humidity of the air with the boxes inside the humidor (coolidor), the negative odor got much worse. Became a much more offensive musty, stale, smoke odor. I've given up on these three boxes. the fourth one was a box purchase from the same store but smells much nicer because it was plastic wrapped and sealed. Now I have placed an order for ten used boxes from an online retailer and I will start over.
  • Options
    That's a good move brother