Home Cigar 101

Odor free weatherstripping

Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
Do you have any specific recommendations on self adhesive weatherstrpping for my coolidor lid and for the ends of my spanish cedar dividers in the conventional humidors? Any ones to avoid? (I don't want any funky plastic smells or deadly toxins.)

Comments

• Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have acually never heard of anyone running into a "bad" weatherstripping. I haven't used any, as my cooler seals tight as it is, so I am not a lot of help... from what Ive seen, guys just use any kind (it must all be very similar).

Can you put your nose up to it before buying? Thatd be my test. Or is it a packaged and sealed up?
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sure, I had my whole head inside my cooler to see how the smell was before I washed it out. I certainly ain't above sniff testing a little foam rubber.
  • blurrblurr Posts: 962 ✭✭
    Now Grays going to feel bad. I bought just the Walmart brand weather stripping, in a mostly green and clear bag (forget the brand name its Wally world), and used it to seal the lid of my 64 qt tupperdor. It definitely had asmell, I just left the lid of after application for 3 days and it was gone. They can truly stink from the adhesives and the material itself, so apply and let it air out for a few days trust me. Just my experience. And my tupperdor is the best humi I've used after 5 years, rock solid. Until my wineador gets finished at least.
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    blurr:
    Now Grays going to feel bad. I bought just the Walmart brand weather stripping, in a mostly green and clear bag (forget the brand name its Wally world), and used it to seal the lid of my 64 qt tupperdor. It definitely had asmell, I just left the lid of after application for 3 days and it was gone. They can truly stink from the adhesives and the material itself, so apply and let it air out for a few days trust me. Just my experience. And my tupperdor is the best humi I've used after 5 years, rock solid. Until my wineador gets finished at least.
    Lol!! Well I'm glad someone else can offer more help than me. The smell wear off though, correct? No doubt most adhesives like that have some smell before airing out. As long as they don't permanently funk up anything, I wouldn't be worried.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bob Luken:
    Do you have any specific recommendations on self adhesive weatherstrpping for my coolidor lid and for the ends of my spanish cedar dividers in the conventional humidors? Any ones to avoid? (I don't want any funky plastic smells or deadly toxins.)

Most weatherstripping is made from an EPDM rubber (a type of plastic) base material --- this material should not have any smell to it, and it will be fine to use in your humidors.
    Some weatherstripping is "self-adhesive" though and the glue/tape could have a bit of an odor to it.

I've used products similar to this and this before.

Take the weatherstripping out of the package, lay it out on a table for a day or two so that 1) it flattens out and is easier to apply and 2) any smell "airs out". Then attach it to your humidor and you'll be good to go.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jgibv:
    Bob Luken:

Most weatherstripping is made from an EPDM rubber (a type of plastic) base material --- this material should not have any smell to it, and it will be fine to use in your humidors.
    Some weatherstripping is "self-adhesive" though and the glue/tape could have a bit of an odor to it.

I've used products similar to this and this before.

Take the weatherstripping out of the package, lay it out on a table for a day or two so that 1) it flattens out and is easier to apply and 2) any smell "airs out". Then attach it to your humidor and you'll be good to go.
    Thanks for the tips jg :)