Home Cigar 101

Found a beetle!

Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
Made a box purchase from my closest B&M a couple of weeks ago. I removed the plastic opened it up but didn't inspect each cigar. I put the whole box in the bottom of my 125 count desktop where it was surrounded by mazos, five packs and singles from recent purchases from ccom. (all of ccom stuff were still in celo) Wanted to smoke one from my box purchase cigars tonight so I began inspecting one to burn and found out the one on the far right had a hole. One from the middle on the bottom row had a hole. And a third from somewhere I cant recall had a hole too. Just one hole each. None of the boxed cigars were in celo. I Inspected all of the ccom sticks and no evidence of beetles on them. Vacuumed out the humi. After turning my attention back to the full box and beginning to separate the bad ones a beetle showed up in the box. I'm starting to freeze the good sticks left of the box purchase. Do you think I should freeze the ccom sticks as well? I'd really like to think that I caught it early and that the beetle came from the box purchase and I won't need to freeze all of them. Any advice would be appreciated.

[edited by: Bob Luken at 8:49 AM (GMT -5) on Wed, May 01 2013]
P.S. The B&M manager did get a call from me and I also sent some photos and video texts to him and he assured me he'd replace the box. He's always taken great care of me. But I do worry about his shop getting bugs. It's a nice shop. And he said he contacted the distributor with the video so he'll probably get a replacement box also. I just figured, why not save most of a box if the infestation is just beginning in a few sticks. After I bagged the three sticks with holes I did a little autopsy on two good looking sticks that seemed to have suspicious soft spots. I figured I'd find larvae, but found nothing. Then I did an autopsy on one of the sticks with a hole, and also found nothing except a small amount of burrowing near the exit holes.

Comments

• RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If all your other sticks don't have holes you ought to be fine. But I'd keep the rest of those box cigars separated for a bit after freezing to keep an eye on them. Freezing doesn't always work from what I've read. I'd let the shop owner know about it. He might want to check his inventory for infestation.
  • camgfscamgfs Posts: 968
    I'd return the box to the B&M, beetles and all.
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rhamlin:
    If all your other sticks don't have holes you ought to be fine. But I'd keep the rest of those box cigars separated for a bit after freezing to keep an eye on them. Freezing doesn't always work from what I've read. I'd let the shop owner know about it. He might want to check his inventory for infestation.
    I wish I hadn't left out that detail. The B&M manager did get a call from me and I also sent some photos and video texts to him and he assured me he'd replace the box. He's always taken great care of me. But I do worry about his shop getting bugs. It's a nice shop. And he said he contacted the distributor with the video so he'll probably get a replacement box also. After I bagged the three sticks with holes I did a little autopsy on two good looking sticks that seemed to have suspicious soft spots. I figured I'd find larvae, but found nothing. Then I did an autopsy on one of the sticks with a hole, and also found nothing except a small amount of burrowing near the exit holes. After finding very little damage I just figured, why not save most of a box if the infestation is just beginning in a few sticks.

I've read that the larvae feed for about five or six weeks before emerging. Using that logic I believe I can safely assume that these beetles came from the box purchase and the larvae were already active at the B&M because I've only had this box for 11 days and all the ccom sticks were also new stock with no holes.

Can the beetles complete their whole life cycle within a box of cigars or do they lay eggs only on live tobacco plants?
    camgfs:
    I'd return the box to the B&M, beetles and all.
    He assured me he'd replace the box. He's always taken great care of me.

But this is his exact quote when I asked if he wanted me to bring the box back to him, "Nooooooooooo".
  • curtpickcurtpick Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭
    Now if it were me. I would return the whole box.
    I also would not feel comfortable buying from that B&M until he does a complete clean out.
    My investments are worth the peace of mind if you know what I mean.
    As well intentioned as he is, there is a high probability his inventory has been infected if he doesn't have decent quality control.
    He too has an obligation to be sure he does all he can to assure his stock is not infected.
    Until then I would stay away.
    But again, that's just me.
    Family, Friends, Golf, Cigars, Fine Whiskey, Good beer.... is there anything else ?  Follow on instagram @crguy1961
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Scary scary scary :/ glad you found them in time.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
    curtpick:
    Now if it were me. I would return the whole box.
    I also would not feel comfortable buying from that B&M until he does a complete clean out.
    My investments are worth the peace of mind if you know what I mean.
    As well intentioned as he is, there is a high probability his inventory has been infected if he doesn't have decent quality control.
    He too has an obligation to be sure he does all he can to assure his stock is not infected.
    Until then I would stay away.
    But again, that's just me.
    He said he'd replace the merchandise. As far as how he handles the threat to his store, I'll ask him when I see him. It's a bit of a drive to get to the shop so I don't know if I'll be visiting soon or not. He has the information he needs. Now it's up to him to handle it, but yes, I'll be more cautious about bringing home cigars from there and everywhere else from now on. I asked him if he wanted me to return the box. He said, "Nooooooooo".
    Gray4lines:
    Scary scary scary :/ glad you found them in time.
    I sure hope I did. I hope I caught it in time to avoid freezing ALL my stuff.
    I had a little "scare" last year as I found these in an Undercrown... They were "dead" when I clipped the cap, and I believe now that these are "Milkweed Bug" eggs, and are no threat anyway... Just simply stuck to a leaf and accidentally rolled up into the cigar. Still Nasty

Uploaded from the Photobucket Android App Uploaded from the Photobucket Android App
    Gray4lines:
    I had a little "scare" last year as I found these in an Undercrown... They were "dead" when I clipped the cap, and I believe now that these are "Milkweed Bug" eggs, and are no threat anyway... Just simply stuck to a leaf and accidentally rolled up into the cigar. Still Nasty

Uploaded from the Photobucket Android App Uploaded from the Photobucket Android App
    Yeah, I bet that smoke would taste good, huh?
    Bob Luken:
    Gray4lines:

I was just gonna ask how they tasted. Yeah, I bet that smoke would taste good, huh?
    Rhamlin:
    Bob Luken:
    Gray4lines:
    I was just gonna ask how they tasted. Yeah, I bet that smoke would taste good, huh?
    I ended up chucking it, which was disappointing. $10 stick at a B&M! But, I wasn't going to smoke it after dumping eggs out of it.
  • VisionVision Posts: 7,764 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gray4lines:
    Rhamlin:
    Bob Luken:
    Gray4lines:
    I ended up chucking it, which was disappointing. $10 stick at a B&M! But, I wasn't going to smoke it after dumping eggs out of it.
    10 bucks! What was the chics name that came with that for 10 bills??
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    I've read that depending on the temo the beetles life cycle could be short or long. COlder temps make the life cycle longer whereas hotter makes them shother. I freeze everything I get. However, I took out a GH Vintage 2002 that I got in Januarys cotm. It had a beetle hole right through the cello past the cedar into the cigar. I shaked it and nothing came out (usually you will get a very fine substance like sawdust but dark). I had already frozen this batch plus it came in January when it was cold. I am however putting it back in the fridge then freezer in case that beetle came from somewhere else in my stash and it is still in there. It could also be that the cigar was like that when I got it and that the bettles life cycle was already over and the hole was left there.
    Vision:
    Gray4lines:
    Rhamlin:
    Bob Luken:
    Gray4lines:
    10 bucks! What was the chics name that came with that for 10 bills??
    I know right! It was the gordo size, and at a B&M, thats ab what those go for.
    UPDATE: 24 hours later and no new evidence of additional beetles. I've re-inspected every stick in four desktop humidors again tonight. Some new sticks from ccom arrived today and I'm keeping them separate in a new coolidor. I isolated the two remaining sticks with the beetle holes inside a sealed empty water bottle and left them in my truck to get the temps up but as of yet no new signs. Took the box purchase out of the refrigerator and put in the freezer this AM. and turned the freezer down as cold as it will go.
    Hope that's the end of your beetles brother. They are nasty little buggers.
  • blurrblurr Posts: 962 ✭✭
    Hope you are safe, sounds like you caught it in time. I've had 2 boxes in the past year come in with beetle holes or infestations. I had a box of curivaris come in a month ago that was just infested, had like 10 beetles and they were crawling all over the place. Straight to the outside garbage can, and got a replacement. Other shipment came from overseas, so it sat on trucks for like 3 weeks at 90 plus degrees. I freeze ALL new orders for 3 to 4 days now, regardless of country of origin.

Also, maybe its just my bad luck, but it seems like the beetle appearances are happening a LOT more frequently nowadays. So, is NC quality control suffering or are they experiencing a surge in populations of beetles? Hopefully they get it under control again. Used to be I never worried about NC cigars, but lately Everything is potentially at risk to me.