Home Cigar 101

Roll call! Have you ever had beetles? Yes or no?

Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
Roll call! Have you ever had beetles? Yes or no? Me?,.......yes :(

http://www.cigar.com/cs/forums/thread/652878.aspx

Now every fleck of tobacco I see, I check it to find out if it has legs.

If yes. How long did you collect cigars before you had them? Feel free to tell the sad sad tale.

Comments

• RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    Nope
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rain:
    Nope
    x2
    No, thankfully.

Outdoor temperature got up to 80 F here yesterday (don't want to turn on the A/C yet at home since it's 55 at night)
    But the room where I keep them was pushing 77-78 yesterday afternoon ...

0_o
    Too warm for humis IMO

Moved them to a room down in the basement last night. (Wife helped carry the big coolidor, commented on how "heavy" it was, LOL)
    But this morning they were sitting right around 67 F. No worry for beetles at that temp.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jgibv:
    Rain:
    Nope
    x2
    No, thankfully.

Outdoor temperature got up to 80 F here yesterday (don't want to turn on the A/C yet at home since it's 55 at night)
    But the room where I keep them was pushing 77-78 yesterday afternoon ...

0_o
    Too warm for humis IMO

Moved them to a room down in the basement last night. (Wife helped carry the big coolidor, commented on how "heavy" it was, LOL)
    But this morning they were sitting right around 67 F. No worry for beetles at that temp.
    I wonder. Could I use a frozen Ice-Gel-Packs in my coolidor to keep the temps down?

http://www.igloocoolers.com/Commercial/Ice-Gel-Packs/MaxCold-Gel-Pack

Or would that throw the RH way off?
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bob Luken:
    I wonder. Could I use a frozen Ice-Gel-Packs in my coolidor to keep the temps down?

Try looking through these threads.....

http://www.cigar.com/cs/forums/thread/185597.aspx
    http://www.cigar.com/cs/forums/thread/311517.aspx
    http://www.cigar.com/cs/forums/thread/253590.aspx

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• jadeltjadelt Posts: 763 ✭✭
    Nope..... but I did have crabs once
    jgibv:
    Bob Luken:

Try looking through these threads.....

http://www.cigar.com/cs/forums/thread/185597.aspx
    http://www.cigar.com/cs/forums/thread/311517.aspx
    http://www.cigar.com/cs/forums/thread/253590.aspx
    Thanks. I'll be reading these asap.
  • AVJimAVJim Posts: 449
    no.... knock on wood.
    "I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member"
  • bbass2bbass2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭
    I had one before I knew what they were. The dead giveaway was when he poked his head out of the hole as I was smoking it. Thankfully he was a homebody and didn't migrate to my other sticks.
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    bbass2:
    I had one before I knew what they were. The dead giveaway was when he poked his head out of the hole as I was smoking it. Thankfully he was a homebody and didn't migrate to my other sticks.
    Lol!! That's a little scary. You torched his home!
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    bbass2:
    lmao great little story!!
    Money can't buy taste
  • curtpickcurtpick Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭
    Yes. But when John was shot the 45's went through the roof and I sold all my vinyl.
    Oh wait....
    Family, Friends, Golf, Cigars, Fine Whiskey, Good beer.... is there anything else ?  Follow on instagram @crguy1961
  • Poopy_JonesPoopy_Jones Posts: 455 ✭✭✭
    No thankfully
  • reggie713reggie713 Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭
    nope
  • Roberto99Roberto99 Posts: 1,077
    Yep, early on. When I only had a few sticks. Got in a sampler that had one with a hole in it. I smoked it since it was a msrp $50 cigar. Aweful. Always freeze everything now when I get them and don't let my humidors out of the coolest part of the basement anymore.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    nope. no problems here.
  • ddubridgeddubridge Posts: 3,978 ✭✭✭
    no sir.
  • AVJimAVJim Posts: 449
    curtpick:
    Yes. But when John was shot the 45's went through the roof and I sold all my vinyl.
    Oh wait....
    hhahahhaha!!! Thanks for the laugh!!
    "I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member"
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nope thank goodness. But it's hard for me to relax in the summer whenever we take a trip worrying about if we lose power and the AC kicks off. So I usually take the humidifiers out. Don't know if that does any good or not buying figure it can't hurt since its usually no longer than a week.
    Roberto99:
    Yep, early on. When I only had a few sticks. Got in a sampler that had one with a hole in it. I smoked it since it was a msrp $50 cigar. Aweful. Always freeze everything now when I get them and don't let my humidors out of the coolest part of the basement anymore.
    What harm, if any, can freezing cigars cause? (Harms the beetles and larvae, Ha! But what about the cigars?)
  • blurrblurr Posts: 962 ✭✭
    I've had 2 boxes in the past year come in with beetle holes or infestations. I had a box of curivaris come in a month ago that was just infested, had like 10 beetles and they were crawling all over the place. Straight to the outside garbage can, and got a replacement. Other shipment came from overseas, so it sat on trucks for like 3 weeks at 90 plus degrees. I freeze ALL new orders for 3 to 4 days now, regardless of country of origin.

I learned, as I'm sure you did, even when you buy a full box, or samplers, inspect EACH INDIVIDUAL cigar thoroughly for beetle holes, damage etc BEFORE you put them in your humidors. After you get some you learn if you tip a cigar up, and lightly tap it while holding your hand under the open end, if it had a beetle infestation little poopy and tiny little black stuff will pour out. Its basically beetle larvae dung I believe.
  • perkinkeperkinke Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭
    Has anyone had a problem with fivers or samplers? Sounds like it has always been boxes that have been the risk.
  • bbass2bbass2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭
    Mine came in a five pack sampler (not from CCom btw). It was strange because they were packaged together with no cello and there was just this one single hole in a stick. No dust or anything else. It was an inexpensive deal so I didn't bother contacting the retailer and just put them in the humi. Since the hole struck me as odd I kept that stick on top where I could see a problem if one turned up.

That cigar stayed in the humidor for three months IIRC before I smoked it. When I did light it up I kept an eye on the hole to see if it was affecting the smoke and about an inch in this little white thing decided to play a game of peekaboo with me. That grossed me out so I let the cigar die then read on the Internet and became educated about beetles.
  • scarlinscarlin Posts: 1,592
    bbass2:
    Mine came in a five pack sampler (not from CCom btw). It was strange because they were packaged together with no cello and there was just this one single hole in a stick. No dust or anything else. It was an inexpensive deal so I didn't bother contacting the retailer and just put them in the humi. Since the hole struck me as odd I kept that stick on top where I could see a problem if one turned up.

That cigar stayed in the humidor for three months IIRC before I smoked it. When I did light it up I kept an eye on the hole to see if it was affecting the smoke and about an inch in this little white thing decided to play a game of peekaboo with me. That grossed me out so I let the cigar die then read on the Internet and became educated about beetles.
    I'd be a little freaked out..
  • mmccartneydcmmccartneydc Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭
    No thank goodness, I have never had a beetle in my cigars. However, I used to go to my BnM and he'd give me empty boxes. One day he gave me an empty Acid Kuba Kuba box and those have a lot of loose leaf tobacco in them. Took it home to put it with the other boxes but wanted to smell it before I did. Opened it and there they were. Staring up at me, just as happy as could be in that loose leaf stuff. Ditched the whole box!
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    mmccartneydc:
    No thank goodness, I have never had a beetle in my cigars. However, I used to go to my BnM and he'd give me empty boxes. One day he gave me an empty Acid Kuba Kuba box and those have a lot of loose leaf tobacco in them. Took it home to put it with the other boxes but wanted to smell it before I did. Opened it and there they were. Staring up at me, just as happy as could be in that loose leaf stuff. Ditched the whole box!
    Oh wow! Never thought of them infesting loose leaf"packaging"! There are quite a few brands that ship with that in the boxes (a few DE's, Rocky Patel Cargo's I think ...)

I bet that is like beetle heaven!
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks the good Lord...NO....but freaks me out...
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Nope. Had to freeze a package once though; had a shipment from Ccom that I couldn't pick up and it sat out on my porch for 2 or 3 days in the Florida heat. When I finally got home, as a precaution, I froze it for a day or so, then refrigerated for another day or so, and then back into the humi. They smoked fine, and no problems
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Nope.. And i hope that continues. I feel the urge to check every time I read one of these threads. :( Damm You ! :)
    Good luck with your stash :) If you look in the mirror and say Beetledust three times then go to your favorite humidor,........Muuhuhuhahahah!
  • The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    no,, a couple of scares,, but still clean, which is surprising considerin all the tradin and the fact that I do not freeze. guess its one advantage of livin in the PNW