Home Cigar 101

Walked into a disaster....

Howdy folks,

I'm new here so if this has already been addressed, redirection to that thread would be much appreciated.

Here's the deal,

I recently moved into a friend's place for the summer. He's got a small humidor (about 16"x10"x8") with a glass top in the lid. He also happens to have about 40 cubans of all shapes and sizes sitting in the top shelf of the humi. The shelf is just a simple slotted insert. On the bottom level he has a rectangular reservoir and a smaller circular one.

He also has an analog hygrometer that looks like it hasn't read anything but 70% since he bought the thing.

These cigars and this box have not been taken care of. Most of the sticks he has in there have cracked wrappers (some worse than others), and when you open it, it definitely seems more like a dry cedar box than a humidor.

I took it upon myself to try and remedy the situation so I bought a digital hygrometer, calibrated it, and stuck in the box. After refilling the reservoir and letting it sit for about a day, the readings for the bottom of the humidor and the top insert are 52%/62F and 45%/62F respectively.

My question is this: if I keep an eye on it over the next few days/week, and keep the reservoir filled, will humidity return to optimal levels, or should I take the sticks out and reseason. The temperature also seems low, any tips on getting it higher?

Also, right now all the cigars are in the top insert, directly under the glass top. Do you think this makes a difference? I know glass is a poor insulator of heat.

It seems to me that getting them re-humidified as quickly as possible probably isn't the best idea, and that a gradual approach is best. However, I am relatively inexperienced with using humidors (I've always been a buy 'em & smoke 'em type).

Any help would be appreciated, I would love to see these stogies get back into fighting shape.

Cheers,
Nate

Comments

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    QueOndaGuero:
    My question is this: if I keep an eye on it over the next few days/week, and keep the reservoir filled, will humidity return to optimal levels, or should I take the sticks out and reseason.
    i would recommend that.
    the RH isnt THAT bad. it may not be a requirement but it will not hurt if you did so.
    QueOndaGuero:
    The temperature also seems low, any tips on getting it higher?

Also, right now all the cigars are in the top insert, directly under the glass top. Do you think this makes a difference? I know glass is a poor insulator of heat.
    dont worry about the temp. if you are comfy in the room the cigars are in, then the cigars are comfy as well. if you are very cold (under 40*f) then turn your heater on.
    if your temp is much over 70 then i would worry more. if that is the case, try and bring it DOWN. beetles hatch above 70ish.

QueOndaGuero:
    It seems to me that getting them re-humidified as quickly as possible probably isn't the best idea, and that a gradual approach is best. However, I am relatively inexperienced with using humidors (I've always been a buy 'em & smoke 'em type).

Any help would be appreciated, I would love to see these stogies get back into fighting shape.

Cheers,
    Nate
    slow and steady if you can. too fast and they will crack worse. this isnt a huge crisis you have on your hands. all is salvageable.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #1 what Kuzi said
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My thought is the humi may need reseasoned , you'd have to remove the cigars and put them in a ziplock bag or a Tupperware bowl while your doing that. Because it would raise the humidity to quick I think.
  • AVJimAVJim Posts: 449
    Call the cops!!! Looks like a severe case of abuse!!!

Good luck nursing them back to health... slow and steady....
    "I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member"
  • RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    Who has 40 ISOMS and just throws them in a box? I almost hope they are fake, no ISOM should be treated that way.
  • AVJimAVJim Posts: 449
    Rain:
    Who has 40 ISOMS and just throws them in a box? I almost hope they are fake, no ISOM should be treated that way.

Sounds like they could use the kitty litter treatment!
    "I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member"