Home Cigar 101
Options

Best way to store cigars

Hello everyone, I am currently in Iraq and return to Houston in September for R&R. What is the best way to store premium cigars without having to worry about humidity ruining my collection? Houston is very humid most of the year and I cant get home much to watch over them. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    jpclotfelterjpclotfelter Posts: 294
    I have the same exact issue. I'm in Iraq and only get home a couple times a year to tend to my collection at home. Luckily I have the benefit of a wonderful wife at home who checks the temp and humidity on a pretty regular basis. I would suggest investing in a great humidor. Not a good one but a great one; and load it up with those humidification jars. They should be able to last 30-45 days without any attention. You would need to have some trustworthy person check on them every so often though. Or you can do the other thing I do and just keep a humidor on your desk in Iraq.
  • Options
    cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    I Houston, I'd use Heartfelt beads and barely charge them. They will be absorbing more than releasing moisture. Do a search on Heartfelt.

In a humidor, of course.
  • Options
    SgtRickSgtRick Posts: 75
    I was thinking of going with a Vinotemp humidor. Any experience with those? BTW cabinetmaker I saw the one you built, awesome.
  • Options
    SgtRick:
    I was thinking of going with a Vinotemp humidor. Any experience with those? BTW cabinetmaker I saw the one you built, awesome.
    Thanks, it's my over-engineered answer to the vinotemp, lol.
  • Options
    I am also on CigarPass and a bunch of us bought many Vinotemps, mostly 12 bottle. I got mine for $63 (almost new, working, but a lite ding). According to my temp and hyg. I am maintaining 66 on the temp and choose to keep the hyg at 68. It works like a charm and is very quiet. I suggest you go to Heaftfelt.com and look at the humidity beads. The are THE best according to thousands of folks. My son was in Iraq in the 1st ID (Big Red One), got wounded and is home at Ft. Hood. You take care and watch your 6. Ed
  • Options
    smokestersmokester Posts: 131
    I use the heartfelt beads i live in houston as well and with all the humidity you barely have to charge them they work awesome no problems so far.
  • Options
    WaxingMoonWaxingMoon Posts: 328
    I would check with one of your local cigar shoppes and see if they'll store them for you in their humidor. If I was a cigar shop owner, I would do it for a local vet.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    WaxingMoon:
    I would check with one of your local cigar shoppes and see if they'll store them for you in their humidor. If I was a cigar shop owner, I would do it for a local vet.
    5 posts in and i like you already.
  • Options
    FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    kuzi16:
    WaxingMoon:
    Many lounge type B&M's cigar bars have small cubbies that are humidified available for rent.
  • Options
    nightmaremike31nightmaremike31 Posts: 718 ✭✭✭
    Fourtotheflush:
    kuzi16:
    WaxingMoon:
    Many lounge type B&M's cigar bars have small cubbies that are humidified available for rent.

Do they require your first and last months rent up front or a deposit?

... I'm kidding, but then again not really. That would be cool. A live in humidor...
  • Options
    My local B&M has some small lockers, I think they can be rented.