Home Ratings & Reviews

Dammit--I actually LIKED a Diesel.

raisindotraisindot Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
Even since a Diesel showed up in my first sampler pack eons ago, I've had a kind of irrational resistance to the brand.

Part of it is because it's one of those "created for two online dealers" brands and is so heavily promoted in their catalogs and featured in nearly every sampler they offer.

The other part is because of the brand's affiliation with Shorti Russell, who is a pit bull advocate. Well, I've known two people (one a six year old) who have been seriously injured by "loving family pit bulls that were as gentle as a lamb until they suddenly snapped and attacked these people out of nowhere" and have developed an intense hatred of the breed and those who try to pretend that these dogs are anything other than a breed that was created specifically to viciously attack other things. (Just today there was a story about a 21-month girl who was killed when she wandered into her backyard and was attacked by seven pit bulls and mix-pit bull breeds).

So, for these purely emotional reasons, I always gave every Diesel I got in a sampler or in a trade away. Then, the other day, I went out for a smoke with a friend and we traded each other cigars and he have me one of the Diesels (a regular one) I had given him months ago. Since I didn't want to be rude, I decided to overcome my prejudice and give it a try.

Damn it.

I was really hoping it would suck so I could grind it under my boot. But it was actually quite a good smoke. It had the full-bodied taste I prefer, with a nice mix of spices. There was nothing subtle about it at all, but it produced prodigious amounts of smoke, had an easy draw, and had a great finish.

So, I'm grudgingly admitting that it is a good cigar. I don't think I would go out of my way to buy a box, but I would definitely try some of the variations, like Unholy Cocktail and Wicked, if one were to come my way.

Comments

• Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I started out enjoying the diesels (the shorty's) but kinda grew out of em for my taste. I haven't tried any ofthe new blends (only original and UC). Maybe I would still enjoy one every now and then. I might have one or two left. You nailed it, they are certainly not subtle.

I think I am a little turned off by the constant promo too, just seems kinda gimmicky or something... I dunno, nothing has made me want to try any of the new line-ups (and there's a ton now, it seems). I don't like that I can't even keep up with what they are putting out, lol! ...grind, wicked, Dog hair (wtf?)... haha!
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well you got to figure ccom and the other site pretty much made AJ who he is today. So the discounts he gives them is probably pretty sizeable. But I must say I don't think I've ever had a Diesel that I didn't like. As far as the Pitbull thing goes, any dog can turn at any moment for no reason. I love Pitts but I wouldn't have one around kids because they are so powerful.
  • RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    I smoked the Unlimited and it had the most flavors of any cigar I have ever had.
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    I always keep UHC and shortys around. I can only smoke them after I've had 1-2, but man i love them at that point. Otherwise, I can't smoke them, and most AJ really. The Ruinstion and Crucible are quite good as well.
  • perkinkeperkinke Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭
    Being a noob I have avoided them because from the descriptions it sounded like it's all about knocking you on your butt with power, kind of like everclear vs. good scotch, both will get ya drunk but only the second one lets you enjoy it. But after your description i may have to pick up a couple and let them sleep a bit and my tolerance develop.
  • asianbiker8asianbiker8 Posts: 551
    I really don't want to raise a fuss, but i'm going to throw my 4 cents into the mix. First 2 cents, I really like the diesel and the diesel unlimited, I think they are well constructed and taste good. 2nd 2 cents, maybe i'll upgrade it to a dollar. There are no such things as bad dogs, just bad dog owners. I'm not going to argue that pitbulls aren't dangerous, they can be, they are very powerful animals. Personally, my pitbull mix, and all the ones I know are very gentle and sweet, probably because their owners are good people. Right now, the media has labeled pitbullpit bulls as the dangerous breed for the time being. I'm sure a lot of people will remember a time when dobermans, rotweillers, and other breeds were demonized by public opinion. The tragedy of the 21 month old child dying was heartbreaking. I'm not trying to make any excuses for the dogs, but you get any breed of dogs running around in a pack, anything can set them off and they will behave very differently than if they were alone. The real point of the story that was brushed to the side was the negligence of the adults. That's my rant for the day. Hope I didn't rub anyone the wrong way. I feel that breed specific prejudice is wrong, but I understand opinions if a loved one was hurt by a particular breed.
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    perkinke:
    Being a noob I have avoided them because from the descriptions it sounded like it's all about knocking you on your butt with power, kind of like everclear vs. good scotch, both will get ya drunk but only the second one lets you enjoy it. But after your description i may have to pick up a couple and let them sleep a bit and my tolerance develop.
    The maduro's are definitely strong. For someone like me whom prefers mild-med stuff, they are too much. However, i have no problem with them after I've had a few smokes. They are after dinner smokes and full body. The DU is not nearly as full bodied, but still a strong cigar.
  • AVJimAVJim Posts: 449
    I had my first Diesel yesterday afternoon (got in a trade from Rain - THANK YOU!). I have no idea what it was but it was very tasty. I like a strong cigar and it definately fit the bill! Flavors banged from everywhere!
    "I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member"
  • jadeltjadelt Posts: 763 ✭✭
    I too enjoy the Diesel Unlimited...... good stick at a great price.
  • HeavyHeavy Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭
    I don't go for ultra-full bodied smokes myself, but have always enjoyed the UHC and consider it medium-full. But, like much of AJs stuff they do better with age. An UHC with 18-months is fantastic IMO.
  • bripperbripper Posts: 74 ✭✭
    Like the Diesel Unlimited regularly & Unholy Cocktail occasionally. Enjoy the wrappers and good construction.
    What's weird is that smoking the Diesels as my only smoke of the day is fine. But when I mix a Diesel with other cigars, the Diesel has a bland taste. Must be me.
  • beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    Just finished a Diesel Wicked. The name says it all. Don't think I'll invest in anymore of these spice bombs.
  • cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    I might have to go buy another box of unholy cocktail. Great cigar!
  • Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    Welp, you convinced me, bro. After how those two humans in Boston behaved, I'm not buying any more cigars made by or affiliated with humans. F*** humans, man, they're just made evil.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
    Ken Light:
    Welp, you convinced me, bro. After how those two humans in Boston behaved, I'm not buying any more cigars made by or affiliated with humans. F*** humans, man, they're just made evil.
    Humans made CCom, too..
    Rain:
    Ken Light:
    Humans made CCom, too..
    Whoops, better see myself to the door. (clearly I was being sarcastic?)
    Ken Light:
    Rain:
    Ken Light:
    Humans made CCom, too..
    I took it that way. Wait, were you serious? WTF IS GOING ON???? ;)
    Rain:
    Ken Light:
    Rain:
    Ken Light:
    Humans made CCom, too..
    I took it that way. Wait, were you serious? WTF IS GOING ON???? ;)
    LoL I'm never serious!
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    I like aj's stuff in corona size with at least 9 months min...it's better after a year or two IMO but somethimes you just gotta wait. IMO the diesels are a ok smoke but I wouldn't go nuts over them nor would I turn one down. As far as the dog stuff all dogs will bite!! It's part of there nature and if anything it's the owners fault...
    Money can't buy taste
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Personally the UHC is one of my go too's, and one I have stocked up nicely. The unlimited I have a few.

On to the pit bulls, I have had really good dealings with the breed. Like you said it is usually the people who own them. I go to people's homes all the time to do repair work on their media devices and usually the one's who own pit bulls fit into one category - they are low income and feel they need a guard dog. Now mind you most of the time the dog is kept outside and is surrounded by litter. Also they don't treat the dog very well. Sad but in my experience and around my area this is usually the case. Now when I get out of the "bad" areas (which we call felony flats and greatway which is another word for rockwood) I very rarely see pit bulls out of these areas. I personally love the breed but the media has labeled them as "dangerous" thus a lot of people don't bother with them.

At my old place my neighbor had a pit bull for 3 years then when his wife got pregnant they gave their dog to the humane society. I asked him why and he said because they are bad for kids. I was appalled. I mean the dog was great, very well mannered and his home life was great, they treated the dog as family. Now that dog either was put down or possibly is in a bad home. Hopefully a nice person adopted him but I mean ... well anyway any dog will attack. Little taco bell dogs are massive fear biters (though I see a tone of them with kids) and larger dogs can still attack and hurt people. I think overall pit bulls have got a bad rep.

I do feel they promote it way too much especially in the past. However it is a good stick. But in reality ccom and a lot of other places do annoy me with all of their pop up ads and what not. When I go to a site I hate have promo deals and discount pop ups. I don't care where it is, I just hate it.
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    Once upon a time I was an enormous AJ fan and his cigars dominated my humidors. Now I barely have any. I do have a whole box of UC, though, one of his best cigars in my opinion. I bought them just before my dramatic palate shift occurred and now they are living in my aging cooler. They have 16 months under their keel. I'm going for 30 to 36 months before cracking into them. I've had so many in my career I know they will age well and have a feeling three years is just the beginning for them. By then the enormous amount of ligero will be mellowed some and all the harshness will be gone. Of all AJ's cigars I think the UC has the greatest potential for aging and flavor development.
  • Chuck_NChuck_N Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭
    Had my first Unholy cocktail tonight. Wow is all I can say. It packs a punch, and has a ton of flavor. Im glad I bought a box.
  • Roberto99Roberto99 Posts: 1,077
    Chuck N:
    Had my first Unholy cocktail tonight. Wow is all I can say. It packs a punch, and has a ton of flavor. Im glad I bought a box.
    They get better and better with age!
  • CigaryCigary Posts: 630
    Deisel is a good cigar....they just need some time to take the F down for one thing. They have some strong pepper going on and while it seems to be the popular thing nowdays to produce peppery and strong cigars this one really settles down after 9 months rest and becomes a well balanced cigar. The pepper doesn't seem to come at you and leaves you with a better finish on the palate instead of that feeling that somebody took the cap off the pepper bottle. The spices actually came into play and tasted so much better with rest and as far as the UnHoly Cocktail...the same with this cigar. Rest with this brand pays dividends.