Home Cigar 101
Options

How to improve the seal on just the backside of humidor?

Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,016 ✭✭✭✭✭
I received my purchase of ten empty boxes yesterday, (for use storing cigars in my coolidor) and one of the boxes is humidor quality. It has felt on the bottom, a heavy lid that closes smooth and seems tight, and the hinges are just like all of my other humidors and it has raised spanish cedar to create the seal just like a regular humidor. But it failed the dollar bill test on just the backside. I was thinking of giving this to a friend who doesn't have a humidor yet but first I want to make it seal right. Would a strip of masking tape across the back be the right move? Haven't had time to mess with it yet. Any thoughts?

Here's a link to a pic of the box on Ccom. (It's a Carlos Torano Noventa box)
http://www.cigar.com/cigars/viewcigar.asp?brand=540

Comments

• Options
    madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    masking tape. Just put one layer at a time over the raised cedar edge until it passes the dollar test.

Also keep in mind when you season it the wood will swell some. If it was close to passing the test after its seasoned it may pass. I'd season it, re-test then reach for the masking tape.

Its a nice looking box, I'd definetly try to make it a humi.
  • Options
    madurofan:
    masking tape. Just put one layer at a time over the raised cedar edge until it passes the dollar test.

Also keep in mind when you season it the wood will swell some. If it was close to passing the test after its seasoned it may pass. I'd season it, re-test then reach for the masking tape.

Its a nice looking box, I'd definetly try to make it a humi.
    Good point about the seasoning. I'll do that and test again. Yes it's a unique box. I may even have to keep it myself and give my friend one of my other small ones (humidors) instead. LOL
  • Options
    Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Hhhhhmmmmm IMO unless the box was made as a humidor it will not work as one. Boxes are made to suck up the humidity from around it. It's a good idea but I'm pretty sure you will have a lot of trouble holding humidity if not in a stable environment. I'd just call it a day and put it in the cooler...if you want a humidor well then just buy one! But for what it's worth you might go crazy trying to make this work
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    Lee.mcglynn:
    Hhhhhmmmmm IMO unless the box was made as a humidor it will not work as one. Boxes are made to suck up the humidity from around it. It's a good idea but I'm pretty sure you will have a lot of trouble holding humidity if not in a stable environment. I'd just call it a day and put it in the cooler...if you want a humidor well then just buy one! But for what it's worth you might go crazy trying to make this work
    I see what you're getting at. Boxes should be designed to allow humidity to enter. But this box is really thick. Anyway, I'm not gonna waste too much effort on it but I'll give it a shot and if it performs well I'll have a really cool small humi that I got for two bucks.
  • Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Worse case it'll be good for dry boxing
  • Options
    Rhamlin:
    Worse case it'll be good for dry boxing
    Yep, or I could keep a pet mouse in it. Ha ha!