Home Ratings & Reviews

Martel's Marvelous Musings on Magnificent Miasmas of Merit

Comments

• MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    This 4.5x44 cigar was nearly lost in the oversized band. As big as the band was, I worry about these retaining moisture. After I slipped it off, I checked it carefully for any spots or discoloration, but didn't find any.

The cigar is rich, dark, and oily because of the Brazilian Habano ligero wrapper. It is also lumpy and has an espresso and cinnamon smell. I punch the cap and enjoy the easy draw.

The cigar produces lots of thick smoke and tastes of toasted nuts and just plain old toast. The ash is a stark contrast to the dark body of the cigar--it is brilliant white by comparison. That ash does fall pretty quickly.

The flavor matches the strength of the cigar. Both are strong. The flavor skated the edge of tasting "burnt" throughout. It never crossed that line, but it was right there. I did like the smoke for keeping me in suspense that way. It definitely had some meat, some heft; it produced smoke you could almost chew.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • mmccartneydcmmccartneydc Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭
    Martel:
    I haven't had much time to smoke or write recently. I still don't, but I need the break from other things so I want to get up at least one review.

This cigar has a little pigtail cap and an aroma of cream and wood along with something floral or herby. It has a perfect draw before a toast and light with matches.

photo IMAG0184_zps9a04263d.jpg

After the first bit of warm-up where I'm down into the first third a bit, it hits me that I've finally found the elusive toasted marshmallow. Yum. I don't need to say much more, but the smoke has an easy retro heavy on cream and nuts-cashews to be exact.

One of the best cigars I've ever smoked, thanks to Medic from my Newbie trade. I'm not going to over-analyze this one. It was dangerously good, and may send me down a road I'm not sure I'm ready to travel...
    Great review of this stick, definitely one of my favs! One thing that always seems to pop up when I'm smoking it is a citrus type after taste. See if you pick it up on the next one you try!
    mmccartneydc:
    Martel:
    I haven't had much time to smoke or write recently. I still don't, but I need the break from other things so I want to get up at least one review.

This cigar has a little pigtail cap and an aroma of cream and wood along with something floral or herby. It has a perfect draw before a toast and light with matches.

photo IMAG0184_zps9a04263d.jpg

After the first bit of warm-up where I'm down into the first third a bit, it hits me that I've finally found the elusive toasted marshmallow. Yum. I don't need to say much more, but the smoke has an easy retro heavy on cream and nuts-cashews to be exact.

One of the best cigars I've ever smoked, thanks to Medic from my Newbie trade. I'm not going to over-analyze this one. It was dangerously good, and may send me down a road I'm not sure I'm ready to travel...
    Great review of this stick, definitely one of my favs! One thing that always seems to pop up when I'm smoking it is a citrus type after taste. See if you pick it up on the next one you try!

I didn't want to take many notes, so I can't say for certain, but there was a lot of subtle complexity to this cigar. I do recall some citrus or maybe tropical fruit flavors. They were very light, and like you said, mostly on aftertaste. I really liked this cigar and would definitely move it pretty high up on my list of cigars smoked to date, if not all the way to the top.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
    Long and slender, but not skinny. Smells of cocoa and pepper with a sweetness when licked. Firm pre-light draw with lots of sweet chocolate.

While smoking, I found this cigar to be very smooth but the flavors were difficult to determine. I really enjoy the smoke, but wouldn't think it was worth eighteen dollars. Glad I didn't pay that much for it...but that's because I like a steal. Maybe it is worth more than what I paid for this in a sampler from the sprint sale. I do like it, a lot. Did I say it was smooth? Nothing harsh. No flavor surprises, but nothing distinct about this one, either.

The burn was crisp in the first third and beyond, never requiring a touch up. The Red Dot has a very smooth retro and the draw is cool in the mouth. Only once or twice did I get a funky "ashy" flavor. It is a really nice smoke in the fuhgeddabouditt category. Light up and enjoy without trying to remember much about the smoke because this one is all nuance with little in your face flavor, and the nuance is hard to determine.

In the end, nothing blows my mind about any given point of this smoke, but it was really solid throughout and the total experience was positive in burn and flavor.

• perkinkeperkinke Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭
    How does it compare to the Puro Dominicana? The PD made me put the other two Cohibas I have in the bottom drawer to forget about (like you I got them in samplers).
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have had the red dot and blacks and while they are very enjoyable and solid smokes, full retail price is a killer on them. Id never pick em up not on sale, which is sad because I do enjoy them!
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
    perkinke:
    How does it compare to the Puro Dominicana? The PD made me put the other two Cohibas I have in the bottom drawer to forget about (like you I got them in samplers).

I need to revisit the PD. I didn't like it the first time I tried it. The Red Dot was not as complex as the PD by any means. I suspect the PD would be better with age on it. I smoked it when it was pretty fresh. The Red Dot has been around my humi for at least three months and didn't wow me. I liked it, but only as a mild smoke that I could enjoy because of the quality burn and no offensive flavors. For the price, I think I'd rather look at some other smokes. Not that I'd turn down the Cohiba or not buy a sampler because it was there. I would stick with those PD's over the Red Dot. I know my review of the PD was negative and this one was kind of positive, but I have an inkling I just had a fresh/bad stick. There was definite promise in it.

I smoked this a couple of weeks ago, I guess. It's the last cigar I've been able to smoke. I need to get back up on the horse, but I've been busy. When I smoked this, I didn't have my notebook, so I was typing on my laptop. The notes are pretty sketchy and I just copied and pasted them.

Carlos Torano Fortress
    From Jim. First welcome bomb in January.
    Leathery smell. Oily wrapper. Some peeling and veins. Half of a cap peeled off.
    Flavor of cocoa after punch.
    Also not my favorite, but it is smokeable. Pretty strong. Lots of nuts. Expected more leather. Got some, and it was there throughout, but lightly.
    Long lasting smoke. Good value, if I’d bought it myself. Even better free.

So there you have it. I'm eying a Davidoff 3x3 for my next review. But who knows. There's so many stogies and so little time.

Simple review...smoke it and you'll love it.

Slightly more complex review...this had great floral flavor, was very smooth, and it had a very even burn throughout.

Seriously, I don't want to rave over this cigar too much, but it is going straight to the top of my list. It was pretty delicately flavored, so I wouldn't smoke it with an overly heavy pairing, after another smoke, especially a strong one, or in the presence of heavy smoke from others. But for relaxing with a few bros or by yourself, this is one fine cigar.

• perkinkeperkinke Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭
    Completely agree, it's the only AVO I've had, but it's a definite go to on nights I just want to sit and enjoy the evening, it's one of those sticks that reminds me why I started loving cigars. I need to pick up some of their other lines.
    I smoked this cigar with a friend tonight. He had an Undercrown out of my collection. The DCM was from a bomb or trade. I will have to look up where I got it and edit this later. Since I was with a friend, I wasn't taking notes and want to get this down while it's fresh in my mind.

First, the wrapper was spotty and not terribly attractive. It had some serious construction issues. It had a plug and a really tight draw. I need one of those tools. The wrapper came off the cigar, too. I was surprised I didn't have more burn problems, but I suspect it was well made otherwise and that saved it. Just a funky wrapper on this one.

The toast on this took forever. I couldn't get enough draw to light the thing no matter what. I eventually tried my punch after cutting the cap and it gave me enough airflow to draw. I could feel that plug. Everything was really tight in just one spot. Once I started smoking, it loosened up some, but it took a while. The ash on this was really white and held strong. I got a lot of toast, butter and all. It was a good smoke for flavor up until the final third when it got a little to harsh. Smoke output was nice. I did notice some changes and complexity, but the buttered toast was predominate from beginning to end.

Paired this with some cognac and had a lot of liga smoke hanging around so that may influence my tasting. I would definitely try one of these again, but if the construction issues are common with these, I wouldn't purchase them regularly. Flavor wise, it's about spot on for a mild-medium smoke. I think I would have really enjoyed this if not for having to hold it together the whole time I was smoking. Then again, it didn't just blow me away with flavor or overall experience, either. I guess it's hard to be objective about individual parts of this smoke when it had the one glaring issue. Oh well.

Don't do this often, but I'm typing this review directly into the forum as I smoke it. This cigar has a really nice aroma. Musky. Floral. A touch of cinnamon. Really interesting. The wrapper is a light coffee with cream color and there's one darker raised vein visible. Think maybe of coffee where the cream isn't mixed all the way yet because it is far from a uniform color, even outside that vein. A lick doesn't give much flavor, but the draw enhances the floral qualities. Now, I'm ready to settle down with a light breakfast blend coffee and toast this sucker up for enjoyment purposes.

This doesn't take much of a draw. Easy smokin'. Nice white ash after it gets going, but it doesn't look very strong. This robusto looks like it will smoke quickly, too. The burn is even, but it's going quickly, even as I watch it sit on my Stogie Stand. (Product Placement!)

Some nuts, some cream. Smooth feel to the smoke in the first third so far. A little acidity on the rear of the palate and during retro. Maybe not quite a citrus flavor. More of a mild vinegar. Nothing as strong as white vinegar or as caramel as a malt vinegar. Maybe a cider vinegar, but very subtle. There's also a slight bitterness like almonds, but the rest of the nut profile reminds me more of peanuts. (In know, they're actually a legume and not a true nut.) A little toast flavor is also noted.

There are some strange flavors in this so far, and I'm just getting to the end of the first third. None of them are unpleasant in combination. I've just never experienced a profile quite like this before. That is enough to keep me interested even if I didn't like it, but I do. Remind me to check who sent this to me and send a note of thanks. For a value Davidoff, this is a good thing so far.

First ash happens right at the end of the first third. I didn't expect it to last quite this long. The cherry is a little ragged but mostly flat. I'm really pleased with the burn on this. Flavor doesn't go through much perceptible change after the ash, either. The floral qualities are revving up and moving to the forefront, and the bitter and toast flavors are dissipating to some extent. The retro is sharper, now, too. It almost makes me pucker.

Another quarter inch of burn and this starts to mellow some more. I'm in the sweet spot now and everything is nicely balanced. Retro is still a little off, but the smoke tastes and feels good otherwise. The retro is necessary to bring out the flavors on other puffs, as it lingers in the nasal passages a bit.

Second ash doesn't last as long.

Wow, just got hit with a burst of sour and bitter right at the front of my tongue. INTENSE! But it passes after one puff. I've also noticed that the smoke coming off the end of this seems to be dusty, is flaking and rising with the rest of the smoke.

I'm nearing the end of the cigar now. I'm not getting out a toothpick to finish the nub or anything, but I've enjoyed this smoke. Toast is creeping up in intensity again, and it's not my favorite flavor. I really like floral smokes, and this pleased me for that aspect, but it's faded fast and is barely noticeable near the end of the final third.

I need to find a good source for these. I could see this being a regular, everyday or guest smoke.

• ddubridgeddubridge Posts: 3,978 ✭✭✭
    Nice review Eric. It's nice to see your reviews get posted a little more often again.
  • BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Martel:
    Don't do this often, but I'm typing this review directly into the forum as I smoke it. This cigar has a really nice aroma. Musky. Floral. A touch of cinnamon. Really interesting. The wrapper is a light coffee with cream color and there's one darker raised vein visible. Think maybe of coffee where the cream isn't mixed all the way yet because it is far from a uniform color, even outside that vein. A lick doesn't give much flavor, but the draw enhances the floral qualities. Now, I'm ready to settle down with a light breakfast blend coffee and toast this sucker up for enjoyment purposes.

This doesn't take much of a draw. Easy smokin'. Nice white ash after it gets going, but it doesn't look very strong. This robusto looks like it will smoke quickly, too. The burn is even, but it's going quickly, even as I watch it sit on my Stogie Stand. (Product Placement!)

Some nuts, some cream. Smooth feel to the smoke in the first third so far. A little acidity on the rear of the palate and during retro. Maybe not quite a citrus flavor. More of a mild vinegar. Nothing as strong as white vinegar or as caramel as a malt vinegar. Maybe a cider vinegar, but very subtle. There's also a slight bitterness like almonds, but the rest of the nut profile reminds me more of peanuts. (In know, they're actually a legume and not a true nut.) A little toast flavor is also noted.

There are some strange flavors in this so far, and I'm just getting to the end of the first third. None of them are unpleasant in combination. I've just never experienced a profile quite like this before. That is enough to keep me interested even if I didn't like it, but I do. Remind me to check who sent this to me and send a note of thanks. For a value Davidoff, this is a good thing so far.

First ash happens right at the end of the first third. I didn't expect it to last quite this long. The cherry is a little ragged but mostly flat. I'm really pleased with the burn on this. Flavor doesn't go through much perceptible change after the ash, either. The floral qualities are revving up and moving to the forefront, and the bitter and toast flavors are dissipating to some extent. The retro is sharper, now, too. It almost makes me pucker.

Another quarter inch of burn and this starts to mellow some more. I'm in the sweet spot now and everything is nicely balanced. Retro is still a little off, but the smoke tastes and feels good otherwise. The retro is necessary to bring out the flavors on other puffs, as it lingers in the nasal passages a bit.

Second ash doesn't last as long.

Wow, just got hit with a burst of sour and bitter right at the front of my tongue. INTENSE! But it passes after one puff. I've also noticed that the smoke coming off the end of this seems to be dusty, is flaking and rising with the rest of the smoke.

I'm nearing the end of the cigar now. I'm not getting out a toothpick to finish the nub or anything, but I've enjoyed this smoke. Toast is creeping up in intensity again, and it's not my favorite flavor. I really like floral smokes, and this pleased me for that aspect, but it's faded fast and is barely noticeable near the end of the final third.

I need to find a good source for these. I could see this being a regular, everyday or guest smoke.
    Nice Eric.. Lee has been a proponent of these and the 4x4's which are occasionally on sale as a bundle. I need to try a few!
    ddubridge:
    Nice review Eric. It's nice to see your reviews get posted a little more often again.
    Thanks, Drew. I haven't had much of a chance to smoke anything, and when I have, it's been stuff already reviewed that I haven't needed to update. Life's been crazy.

The first thing you notice about this Churchill is the rich, dark wrapper. It is certainly eye catching, and the deep burgundy and gold double bands almost blend into the wrapper, standing out just enough to add a touch of class and elegance. The wrapper is kind of blotchy, but not unattractive. It smells of molasses and a touch of fruit and spice. The cap tastes sweet but not overly so. The prelight draw is sweet and floral and very easy.

Hmm, the cap peeled off during the first couple of puffs. It was still just evening out from the initial light! That will make for an interesting hour of smoking. I'm a little disappointed in this because it's a great initial impression on the flavor profile. This cigar proves, at least in its initial stages, that a dark wrapper doesn't necessarily mean an in-your-face, kick-butt strength or flavor.

Still in the first third, there is a lot of earthiness to the flavor, now. I'm talking muddy clay. Some might think that's gross, but it's just a flavor, not like getting your face ground into the mud by the bully on the playground in fourth grade (not that I'd know), or even mud in the face while diving to save a goal on a nasty, wet pitch worn to no grass inside the six-yard box (which I would know). Just flavor here, and that's the closest flavor I can describe.

This cigar smokes well, responding to a quick warm-up puff or two (in or out) and then a long, gentle, very gentle, slow draw. It burns a little unevenly in-between these puffs, but then it evens out on the long draw. I'll keep an eye on this to see how it does later in the smoke.

I got called away right at the end of the first third of this cigar. Wasn't gone too long, but it had gone out. After a relight, I'm underway again. Taste suffered a little bit because of that for a bit, but it couldn't be avoided. I'm back in the groove now, and the cigar is still pretty tasty. Smoking slower than I expected, and I might not get to finish this one after the interruption. Oh well, I'll enjoy it while I can.

I haven't mentioned the retro on this yet. It's rich and earthy, but not very harsh at all. There's even some creaminess to it. The smoke output on the cigar isn't very high at rest, but each puff lets off a nice cloud.

Flavor on this was good through the second third as well, but it went out on me again. After the interruption, I had some burn issues. I gave up on it. I want to try another one of these. Going to try out a new (to me) cigar bar on Wednesday so I'll look for them and maybe complete the review then. If not, I'll try something new I can review here.

ETA: Photos

photo IMAG0256_zpsc2d301ef.jpg

photo IMAG0257_zpsb6f3351f.jpg

photo IMAG0258_zps7291f27a.jpg

photo IMAG0259_zps571bb655.jpg

I got this just about perfect-sized 5.6x46 cigar from Jim as part of a music contest for noobs prize package that I won 2 posts before I hit the contest post limit. Looking back at the winnings, it was quite the gift, thanks again, Bigshizz.

So, it's been about four months since the contest, and I don't know how much time was on the stick before I received it. I was expecting a ton of spice, but there's not a lot there in the first third. I notice it pick up in the second third, though. It has that clean sand flavor that I've noted before in a couple of smokes. That's a background flavor. The stick smelled great pre-light, and I actually like the lingering smoke aroma, too. I don't know what the wife will say later tonight when she gets home because even though I'm out on our balcony, I have a feeling the smoke will creep inside and linger there, too.

Pre-light draw was a little tight and I considered dry boxing for a bit, but I went ahead and lit up anyway. Outside of one touch up which was only necessary because I got distracted writing, the burn has been okay. The line isn't razor crisp or anything, but the beautifully mottled Habano wrapper is smoldering nicely.

Okay, so I'm still in the second third and here's my overall impression. This is a good cigar. If every Opus X is like this one, the consistency would earn some good marks from me, but as it is, on a single trial, I can't say this is a smoke I'd want to pay for. Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy it, but it's not living up to my anticipation, I guess. There's just nothing very exciting about the flavor profile. Nothing harsh. There is some spice and pepper, but it's not too strong. It's nicely balanced, and may be one of the better cigars I've smoked, but is it worth the price? That's what I keep asking myself. $29 retail on this site is a lot for one stick for me. The Diamond Crown Maximus I recently reviewed, at half the price, was almost as good, but it had some burn issues. It's superior to the 3x3, as well, but I know I've had smokes I've enjoyed just as much if not more. The Avo Classic comes to mind, as do the JdN Celebracion and LFD Double Ligero. Others, like the Tat Havana, are close. If I'm not mistaken, all of them can be found for (much) less than the Opus X.

But it's not all about money. If I set that consideration aside, this is a very good, first-rate smoke. Pepper and spice get stronger with each puff, but so does the complexity, now that I'm in the final third. There's some more herbal quality and a pleasant pine/antiseptic feel in the mouth. (I can't believe I just called an evergreen-cleaning product flavor pleasant to the mouth, but it was.) At this point in the smoke, the retro has become a little strong for my tastes, but it had a decent retro in the first 2/3.

So, some other observations and wrap-up. This cigar was packed tight, but the draw was not bad because of it. The white ash held nicely. No other problems with construction, either. It was a beautiful stick. Flavor was good, but not very complex until near the end. Strength was variable. It was smooth and on the mild side to start, but the intensity crept up until the end, which packed some punch. I have a nice buzz from this one, too, and I feel it just a little in my gut. Good thing it's about lunch time. Smoke time has been just over an hour. Will be an hour and 10 or 15 by the time I finish, but the nub is starting to warm up, as is the smoke, so I may not make it quite that long. This would go down as one of my top-rated smokes so far, but it wouldn't make a list of good values. There you have it.

• Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice write up on the 1992. That was my first cigar (same size) and I really liked it. Havent had one in years; I need to grab another! And thanks for the opus review. I havent had one, but will smoke mine soon and see how it is. Sorry yours wasnt super impressive
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
    I can hear it, now. "Goooooooooooooooooooooooaalllllllllllll, Goooooooooooaaaaaaalllllllllllllll!!!" I know some of you schmoes don't appreciate the beautiful game, but I happen to love it, and to celebrate team USA's current string of qualifier victories for the World Cup in Brazil, I was drawn to this smoke at a cigar bar that will be all of ten minutes from my new rental home, if our application is approved.

I've heard some mentions about this cigar, but I wasn't sure exactly what to expect. First, it had a rich, dark smell. I could tell it would stand up to the heavy smoke in the lounge. I picked up a v cutter (no lick) which I've never used before. Didn't like it at all. Part of that is that it tore off the whole cap. Maybe that was the cutter, maybe it was the cigar, I don't know, but the whole thing came right off while I was lighting it.

Okay, so strength is the hallmark of this cigar. It wasn't harsh, but it was stronger than I like because it is masking some subtlety I felt was there but couldn't detect under the circumstances. This was a little larger of a cigar as far as rg goes from what I tend to prefer. It's 56 rg and it was pushing comfort a bit; however it did have a nice feel in my hand.

Since I smoked this last night, that's all I got. Strong, very strong, and rich flavor. Left we with a lot of aftereffect in the mouth. I'm all puckered up this morning and can really taste it. I only smoked about half the cigar because it got late and my wife was tired (we ate at the adjoining restaurant before the smoke) and so was I for that matter. That and once the whole wrapper started to peel I just lost interest in maintaining the smoke. Flavor is only part of this game. It may be the main part, but the intent is to relax and I don't want to work to hold my smoke together. I may revisit one of these again someday, because it was a good cigar for what it was. I can see why some people really like this cigar, if they're not smoking one falling apart on them. It was good and it was strong, but I'm not usually into the high octane strength. On occasion strength is fine, and last night would have been okay since I was in the mood for it, but it wouldn't be a regular smoke for me.

• thedjfish@comcast.netthedjfish@comcast.net Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭
    Martel:
    I can hear it, now. "Goooooooooooooooooooooooaalllllllllllll, Goooooooooooaaaaaaalllllllllllllll!!!" I know some of you schmoes don't appreciate the beautiful game, but I happen to love it, and to celebrate team USA's current string of qualifier victories for the World Cup in Brazil, I was drawn to this smoke at a cigar bar that will be all of ten minutes from my new rental home, if our application is approved.

I've heard some mentions about this cigar, but I wasn't sure exactly what to expect. First, it had a rich, dark smell. I could tell it would stand up to the heavy smoke in the lounge. I picked up a v cutter (no lick) which I've never used before. Didn't like it at all. Part of that is that it tore off the whole cap. Maybe that was the cutter, maybe it was the cigar, I don't know, but the whole thing came right off while I was lighting it.

Okay, so strength is the hallmark of this cigar. It wasn't harsh, but it was stronger than I like because it is masking some subtlety I felt was there but couldn't detect under the circumstances. This was a little larger of a cigar as far as rg goes from what I tend to prefer. It's 56 rg and it was pushing comfort a bit; however it did have a nice feel in my hand.

Since I smoked this last night, that's all I got. Strong, very strong, and rich flavor. Left we with a lot of aftereffect in the mouth. I'm all puckered up this morning and can really taste it. I only smoked about half the cigar because it got late and my wife was tired (we ate at the adjoining restaurant before the smoke) and so was I for that matter. That and once the whole wrapper started to peel I just lost interest in maintaining the smoke. Flavor is only part of this game. It may be the main part, but the intent is to relax and I don't want to work to hold my smoke together. I may revisit one of these again someday, because it was a good cigar for what it was. I can see why some people really like this cigar, if they're not smoking one falling apart on them. It was good and it was strong, but I'm not usually into the high octane strength. On occasion strength is fine, and last night would have been okay since I was in the mood for it, but it wouldn't be a regular smoke for me.
    that sad to hear that it was coming apart, i have been smoking these since they came out, i prefer the pirahna size that got discontinued (i still have some put away), but i have to make due with what sizes are out there, only time i have noticed the wrapper cracking and breaking is when the seller just got them in with out letting them settle down and acclimate to there humidity levels and i try to smoke one out of the box, which i do with all my cigars regardless since i like to make sure the quality of the build of a cigar is right on,
    i did notice brazilias do better in a higher humidity range something like 72-74% the wrappers feel alot better in that humidity range and the cut so much smoother, flavor when uts has rested tends to be chocolately, but yeah it is a strong cigar and not everyone can take these by the horns, maybe next for you it will be better
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    the opusX at MSRP is worth it. they age well. the last amazing release for them was 2006 in my mind. i have high hopes for this year's release. the no.4, no.5, and petite lancero are the best of the bunch. not that the others are bad but this cigar does so well in a smaller ring format.
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    For $12-$15....I can think of many cigars that are vastly superior, especially when it comes to aging then Opus.
    kuzi16:
    the opusX at MSRP is worth it. they age well. the last amazing release for them was 2006 in my mind. i have high hopes for this year's release. the no.4, no.5, and petite lancero are the best of the bunch. not that the others are bad but this cigar does so well in a smaller ring format.

Okay, responding out of order, but I'm curious about aging one of these. I think it could meld into something really nice. And I suspect a smaller rg would be good for this particular cigar, too. But I haven't tried any so I can't really say.

catfishbluezz:
    For $12-$15....I can think of many cigars that are vastly superior, especially when it comes to aging then Opus.

I don't know about "vastly" but I can point out some I liked as much; however, kuzi's point about aging may be pertinent here. Some of those might not age as well, I suppose. I stopped by a B&M that was pretty old school today. I'd never been in there before, but they had a wall of Fuente products. I was hoping I'd be able to grab a couple to tuck away to age, because I did like the cigar, but not a single in any Opus line. It's a good thing because my wife would have questioned me buying a couple of these. I was able to stick to cash and grab a couple of nice sticks...LFD Double Ligero (he stopped selling Airbenders, and I still want to try one), a Padron Maduro, and a Dominican Trinidad...at pretty good prices.

thedjfish@comcast.net:
    that sad to hear that it was coming apart, i have been smoking these since they came out, i prefer the pirahna size that got discontinued (i still have some put away), but i have to make due with what sizes are out there, only time i have noticed the wrapper cracking and breaking is when the seller just got them in with out letting them settle down and acclimate to there humidity levels and i try to smoke one out of the box, which i do with all my cigars regardless since i like to make sure the quality of the build of a cigar is right on,
    i did notice brazilias do better in a higher humidity range something like 72-74% the wrappers feel alot better in that humidity range and the cut so much smoother, flavor when uts has rested tends to be chocolately, but yeah it is a strong cigar and not everyone can take these by the horns, maybe next for you it will be better

I did like the cigar, don't get me wrong, but the wrapper did seem fragile. Strong isn't good or bad to me. I might prefer something a little more mild typically, but this did have good flavor. I did notice the chocolate flavor as well. I'll definitely try it again.

Thank you all for the comments, I appreciate it!

So, I know in my logical head that just because two cigars share the same name, when they come from two different islands they just don't have any relationship to each other. But I hoped.

I saw a good price on single Trinidads at a local B&M (good for a B&M I thought) and chose it for my afternoon smoke. Not a bad cigar at all, but I'd pass it over for others at the $5-$6 range. Not at all like the "other" Trinidad. I knew it. I knew I shouldn't fall for it, but I'd never tried one. Oh well, it still made for a pretty good afternoon smoke.

Knowing I could get these for much less online, I wouldn't purchase them from the B&M again. I like browsing and trying new things out from the store, but I stick mostly with individual singles I want to try, like this one. I would have jumped on a LFD Airbender or a Heisenberg if they'd had them at this shop, but no. Alas and Alack, the guy said he never moved the Airbenders and never heard of the Heisenbergs. That's why I was stuck wandering around looking at this giant, marvelous humidor with nothing I really wanted to jump on. Considered the 601 La Bomba. Saw some other beauties I may go back for, and it looked like a cool place to smoke, but there was a business meeting taking up every comfy seat in the place. Too bad this one is pretty far from the new house. It is however not even 5 minutes away from the main office for the new job. I won't be there much, but it's good to know what's around.

I'm back with a quick review of my favorite cigar from my hiatus, the Ashton VSG. Now, I've never seen Duck Dynasty, but this cigar made me, "happy, happy, happy!"

No burn issues. Great flavor. Strong, but not just for the sake of being strong; it's balanced. This is a cigar I'd put up there with the AVO Classic near the top of my list right now. AVO was milder and more nuanced, but this was flavorful and stood up to other smoke and strong flavors. Both cigars are good for different situations, so I wouldn't really compare them beyond this.

That is all.

Got this cigar from Drew. Thanks, man! Sticker on the wrapper was from late January, so it's been around at least 8 months.

I have purposely not read anything about this cigar in a long time, so I'm going in kind of blind. It looks great, with a typical MOW band. Beautiful color and great tobacco smell.

The first couple of draws on this are smooth. But after that, it hit with some strength. There were a few spots of intense pepper, but not through the whole thing. From beginning to end, I got a feeling of intense strength, but it wasn't strong flavor. I felt it in the gut and the head. It's a MOW, so that doesn't surprise me much, but it's an interesting effect with an otherwise mildly flavored cigar. It had lots of cream in the profile.

All-in-all, this was a good smoke. I felt like I should have saved it for after a meal...maybe after a thick chop off the grill with baked tater, garden 'maters, and corn on the cob. Instead, I smoked it middle of the afternoon. I'll definitely want to revisit this with some pairings. Even as strong as it is, I suspect it would work with morning coffee. One to add to the list of likes, for sure.

• ddubridgeddubridge Posts: 3,978 ✭✭✭
    Martel:
    Got this cigar from Drew. Thanks, man! Sticker on the wrapper was from late January, so it's been around at least 8 months.

I have purposely not read anything about this cigar in a long time, so I'm going in kind of blind. It looks great, with a typical MOW band. Beautiful color and great tobacco smell.

The first couple of draws on this are smooth. But after that, it hit with some strength. There were a few spots of intense pepper, but not through the whole thing. From beginning to end, I got a feeling of intense strength, but it wasn't strong flavor. I felt it in the gut and the head. It's a MOW, so that doesn't surprise me much, but it's an interesting effect with an otherwise mildly flavored cigar. It had lots of cream in the profile.

All-in-all, this was a good smoke. I felt like I should have saved it for after a meal...maybe after a thick chop off the grill with baked tater, garden 'maters, and corn on the cob. Instead, I smoked it middle of the afternoon. I'll definitely want to revisit this with some pairings. Even as strong as it is, I suspect it would work with morning coffee. One to add to the list of likes, for sure.
    Virtue FTW!!! Glad you liked it.

Dont notice the nic kick so much on my end, but I tend to smoke on the full side of the Nicotine spectrum. I had thought maybe the "kick" would mellow over time, but I cant seem to keep them long enough to test the theory.
    ddubridge:
    Martel:

Virtue FTW!!! Glad you liked it.

Dont notice the nic kick so much on my end, but I tend to smoke on the full side of the Nicotine spectrum. I had thought maybe the "kick" would mellow over time, but I cant seem to keep them long enough to test the theory.
    The kick didn't last at all, it was just while I smoked it, and my stomach was pretty much empty. It was a really interesting profile of mostly mild flavor with a bit of pepper on the front but with some strength really hitting on the back end.

Looking to take my time with a smoke today. I don't have a pipe, but wanted to celebrate Hobbit day with some good "Longbottom Leaf". I had plenty of time so I grabbed this Churchill to try. The construction is not the best when I start to examine it. Some loose seams on the wrapper, lots of veins, and it doesn't feel consistent with some real soft spots and some noticeably firm. The aroma is great, but the pre-light draw doesn't give much more info, except it is on the firm side.

The first few draws on this are really difficult and I fear I'll have some burn problems. The line of burn is even, but there is not a clean ash line, leaving a perfect cone. I'm able to make the cone smaller by the second ash, but I was trying to balance a too-firm draw with a cigar that was trying to go out on me. Part of that is because the wind picked up while I was sitting on my porch and was trying to blow out Bilbo's "birthday candle".

Anyway, the flavors on this were good. Medium on strength with some hay/grass and a muddy/earthy aftertaste. Some slight pepper, but not overly strong. I really enjoy this until the last third, when the previous profile goes away and it just begins to taste sour. Like spoiled milk. I end up pointing it down at this point. Once the flavors go south (and it seemed to be burning too hot as well-a related problem I'm sure) I'm done with a smoke.

I probably won't be searching these out again. In the 4-5 dollar range I think you can find much better smokes. I wouldn't turn one down if offered to me, and would even enjoy it; I just won't likely spend my own money on one.

Okay, so I didn't type up the review I had of the house blend from Wadford's Bar and Grill, a cigar bar in Southaven, MS, billed as "Mississippi's Only Cigar Bar." I don't know if it's true or not, but it's not a bad place to hang out. The walk-in isn't that big and doesn't have the best selection, but it's not bad compared to the non-cigar oriented smoke shops. The prices are good for a place like this, as is the company. The best thing is that it's not just cigars. There's a full bar and restaurant with pretty decent food. The Shrimp "Rich Boy" is good. The fish tacos were great; maybe the best I've had east of the Mississippi, and the Catfish plate was very generous for $12, with some spicy homemade hush puppies, ubiquitous slaw, and a heaping pile of onion rings. The appetizer list includes some pretty good miniature crab cakes, too. Oh, and live music many nights, but it doesn't intrude much into the cigar lounge.

I was there on Friday with a friend and they have two "house blend" cigars. I went for the "Palmiche" brand corona since we didn't have a lot of time. It was a $5 smoke and wasn't bad but nothing special. It probably should be more of a $3 cigar, but it was about the cheapest they had. The bar runs a deal where you can get that with your choice of one of three drinks for $12. All in all a pretty good deal. The other house cigar has a barber pole wrap, but I'll probably pass on it for the more tried and true standard fare on future visits. This place is a good place to hang out, but there are some serious cigar shops in the Memphis area that better cater to those just looking for good smokes. There, less a review about the cigar than it was about the place, but it's 'cause the stick wasn't the best.

Tonight, I smoked an Ave Maria. I'm borrowing from a great Memphis restaurant, Uncle Lou's Fried Chicken, to tell you that this cigar was filled with "sweet spicy love". Great construction. Easy draw. The first taste of the cap reveals some sweetness. The pre-light draw is easy and filled with a taste of coffee and a hint of sweetness and nuts.

The spice on this is mild, but it's there, especially on the retro. Overall a smooth smoke. I didn't notice any gut discomfort until about half an hour after smoking to the nub. There was one touch-up I gave it along the way; it was probably not really necessary, but I didn't want to mess with it if the burn got worse.

Filled with leather, coffee, and slight chocolate flavors, the overall impression was of a medium-strength smoke that would go well with lots of different foods or drinks. It went pretty good with my Elijah Craig Small Batch 12 year bourbon.

Short and too the point, ladies and gents. Once my stomach settles, I'm off to bed. Goodnight.