Home Ratings & Reviews

Noobings Reviews

taythegibstaythegibs Posts: 2,025
So in talking with Matt the other day i decided to try putting up some reviews again, this first one is on a little stick called the Padron Cortico Maduro (4.5x35)

Time in humi- 3 days (was one of a few left in the box at the b&m so it isn't rott)
Price point- $3.50, can be had for less online.
Strength- Medium-Medium/full
drink- water
Construction- the foot is very hard, but the rest of the cigar is pretty soft. The cap has a knot on it where it wasn't applied evenly, but otherwise i can see no defects
Prelight- The wrapper is dark an oily looking, it is thoroughly covered in small veins, and it is a little rough looking, I cut with a double guillotine and the prelight draw tasted faintly of cedar and coco.
First puff- very woodsy with some pepper and coco, very bitter
First third- The woodsy, cedar taste starts out strong with a small hint of bitter-sweet coco, its ashing about every centimeter and a half with a decent burn.
Second third- The coco is becoming more prominent with a bit of pepper and hint of some cinnamon, almost like a spiced chocolate. The smoke still smells strongly of cedar. Im attempting to teach myself to retro-hale, its opening up a whole 'nother ballpark and the spice is popping out more. It is reminding me of a Mexican hot chocolate that a coworker brought in to work once.
Final third- the chocolate is nearly gone as is the cinnamon that i tasted a few times. it is now overly woodsy again, and the bitterness is packing a whallop. between puffs my palate tastes as if i had just eaten some bittersweet chocolate and a pickled banana pepper, an interesting combination.
Smoking time- 27 minutes
Final thoughts- This is a very bitter cigar, maybe if it had a year or two to settle down it could be great. Due to it's length im not getting much of a stink finger but the bittersweet chocolate flavor is lingering on my palate For the price it's not a bad buy, and definitely worth revisiting.

Appearance- 8/10
Burn- 7/10
Construction- 7/10
Taste- 6/10

At a final tally- 7 out of 10 noobings recommend this smoke, it is a cheap Padron, that doesn't seem to quite live up to the name. It is overly bitter but could get better with age.

Comments

• MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    I really like these for a quick smoke. I haven't tried a lot of other small cigars like this, but this is by far the best of the few I have tried. Especially at the price for a tin of them. Far better than something like the Papas Fritas. Oddly enough, I didn't get an unpleasant amount of bitter. But I like coffee and dark chocolate, so bitter is not bad to my tastes.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love the pardon maduros, but I've never had that size. The smallest I've had is the londres which is like a corona size 42 rg maybe.

They are normally a little bitter (cocoa like) and a little spicy and earthy. Do you think the excess bitterness was from the super small rg?
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • taythegibstaythegibs Posts: 2,025
    I'd have to think that thae bitterness was amplified by the small rg. It was a great size, but i also had to have it burning pretty hot so that it wouldn't die out which also probably didnt help.
  • MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    taythegibs:
    I'd have to think that thae bitterness was amplified by the small rg. It was a great size, but i also had to have it burning pretty hot so that it wouldn't die out which also probably didnt help.
    I will say it took me about three of these to balance the burn. The small rg asks for slow, but they did tend to go out if you weren't careful. I guess I've just found the right draw length and strength for these suckers. I agree, the bitterness increases if you burn to hot/fast.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
    Tonight's Rrview is the Pinolero by Aj Fernandez Churchill (7.0x52)

Time in humi- about 2.5 months
    Price point- $3, i got a killer deal on it, normaly retails around $8
    Strength- Medium
    drink- water
    Construction-I can see no defects in the cigar, it is a light brown sungrown wrapper with only one or two decently sized veins. The churchill is a bigger violta then i usually grab but i got a killer deal on this stick.
    Prelight- The cutter of choice tonight is a punch, the prelight draw was a little tight and tasted a little woodsy with a hint of syrup
    First puff- woodsy, with a little nuttiness
    First third- The the woodsy taste evolved into a sweet nuttiness with a little black pepper. The ash is pretty flaky, its threatening to let go quite quickly.
    Second third- The cigar kept a decent burn, i had to touch it up once but the ash held a lot better than in the first third. Taste-wise, the nuttiness still is prominent, and the slight syrupy sweetness that i tasted in the prelight is coming into play.
    Final third- The ash is holding on tight with the flavor developing a slight buttery, creaminess that staid till I put it out. At the very end it became a little harsh but nothing too overpowering.
    Smoking time- 2 hours
    Final thoughts- This is a good, solid cigar. The nuttiness that developed throughout the stick was very appealing and consistent, albeit a bit one dimensional, but good nonetheless.

Appearance- 9/10
    Burn- 8/10
    Construction- 9/10
    Taste- 8/10

At a final tally- 8 out of 10 noobings recommend this smoke. It was a GREAT smoke for the price and i will jump on another 5ver if i can get it that cheap again.
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds good! I like woody flavors in a cigar, so I am excited to try this one. I have one waiting (thanks drew)! Thanks for the quick write up!
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
    The other night i got to revisit my favorite Man O' War, the Special Edition Figurado! (7.1x58) I had a very crappy day, got hurt at work, and i needed a solid smoke so I pulled out this beauty and it did not disappoint. Im a big fan of the MOW Ruination and this cigar is basically the standard MOW with the wrapper off of the Ruination!

Time in humi- Just over one year
    Price point- i got it in a trade, but have paid $10 for one
    Strength- Full bodied
    drink- Yellow Powerade!
    Construction-I could find no defects in the cigar, it is a deep oily brown in color andit was a little overly dense at the cap and the foot but from what ive seen that is somewhat common in a figurado shaped cigar.
    Prelight- The cutter of choice tonight is a double guillotine, the prelight draw was a very tight and was a little woodsy.
    First puff- very woody with a light sweetness
    First third- The MoW kept its woodsy taste that, imo, was very familiar to chewing on a sassafrass twig, with a underlying spiciness and a tad bit of chocolate. The burn was very straight with a decently solid ash, i ashed it about 1 1/2 inches in. The draw started off very tight but as the cigar widened out to the 50+ rg it opened up beautifully.
    Second third- The cigar kept a great burn, the ash did not want to let go, but since i was reading I ashed it a second time when it was at about 2 inches in length. A Creamy Nuttiness developed in this third that helped the underlying chocolate flavor evolve.
    Final third- The ash held on like CRAZY! I only ashed the cigar twice, a record for myself and this ash held on till it was nearly 3 inches! It held on till i laid the Cigar down in the dirt. This third was a mashup of nutty chocolate, a little wood and an aftertaste of a sweet coffee. A winning combination in my book!

Smoking time- 130min
    Final thoughts- This is a very good, very solid cigar. The price has gotten a bit inflated here of late but this is definitely a favorite of mine, let it rest for a year or more for a Great stick! This is my idea of what a great cigar should be like, there was almost no harshness at all, very buttery and creamy flavors and some very nice billowing smoke!

Appearance- 9/10
    Burn- 10/10
    Construction- 9/10 i almost gave this a 10/10 just because of how well the ash held but the tight draw in the first third threw me off.
    Taste- 10/10

At a final tally- 9 out of 10 noobings recommend this smoke. It was a GREAT smoke for the price and i will jump on another if i can.
  • bbass2bbass2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭
    Sounds tasty, I love the Ruination.
    Bumping this up for myself. I want to get my palate rack up to where it was and restart the noobings.
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Send addy
  • Dark_RoastDark_Roast Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭
    catfishbluezz:
    Send addy
    Yea, I think you should just give it up in PM. It's your time. And just think of the vast variety your pallet will experience visa vie Mr. Catfish.
    There at too many more deserving folks on this forum than I of Mister Fish's generosity. And I'm playing my cards close to my chest this time around.
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Wrong answer