Home Cigar 101

Extracting flavor from Cigars

I Smoked Punch cigars for many years and always thought good quality hand rolled cigars did not contain carcinagens like cigarettes but according to wikipedia cigars do contain many carcinagens but i don't know if they are refering to a Cheap white owl or a fine punch. Help please. also nicotine content will be helpful. Thanks.

Comments

• xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    I smell a one-post troll, but I'll indulge in the off chance you're actually serious

Cigars aren't a safe alternative to cigarettes - true, they contain none of the additives that cigarettes have (among them, arsenic, cyanide, extra nicotine, etc) - a cigar is just a pure dried tobacco leaf. That said, cigar smoking is still smoking, and it's carcinogenic, though to a much lesser degree than cigarettes. You trade the risk of lung cancer for the risk of mouth and throat cancer, which are rarer and maybe harder to get, but will still kill you if you get them

As for nicotine, there's still plenty of nicotine in a cigar, but it's delivered over the course of the cigar (which can take an hour or three, depending) vs the cigarette, which delivers the nicotine fast and quick, but also has nicotine added to it by the tobacco companies. Cigars then, are "all-natural" (not that that means anything) - the only nicotine in the cigar is whatever's left over from the nicotine naturally found in tobacco leaves after being dried and rolled. As for how much nicotine is in a cigar, well, it depends on the level of leafs used; ligero is more potent than visero or secundo, and so on.

Most cigarettes smokers don't like cigars because the nicotine delivery is so much delayed and drawn out; it won't give anyone the quick fix they want.

As with everything in life, there's risks involved; either accept the risks and enjoy it, or don't accept them and find something else.
  • The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    xmacro:
    I smell a one-post troll, but I'll indulge in the off chance you're actually serious

Cigars aren't a safe alternative to cigarettes - true, they contain none of the additives that cigarettes have (among them, arsenic, cyanide, extra nicotine, etc) - a cigar is just a pure dried tobacco leaf. That said, cigar smoking is still smoking, and it's carcinogenic, though to a much lesser degree than cigarettes. You trade the risk of lung cancer for the risk of mouth and throat cancer, which are rarer and maybe harder to get, but will still kill you if you get them

As for nicotine, there's still plenty of nicotine in a cigar, but it's delivered over the course of the cigar (which can take an hour or three, depending) vs the cigarette, which delivers the nicotine fast and quick, but also has nicotine added to it by the tobacco companies. Cigars then, are "all-natural" (not that that means anything) - the only nicotine in the cigar is whatever's left over from the nicotine naturally found in tobacco leaves after being dried and rolled. As for how much nicotine is in a cigar, well, it depends on the level of leafs used; ligero is more potent than visero or secundo, and so on.

Most cigarettes smokers don't like cigars because the nicotine delivery is so much delayed and drawn out; it won't give anyone the quick fix they want.

As with everything in life, there's risks involved; either accept the risks and enjoy it, or don't accept them and find something else.
    a well spoken and accurate response...
  • blurrblurr Posts: 962 ✭✭
    The Kid:
    xmacro:

agree to the troll, possibly wrong as usual. What does extracting flavor have to do with the post about crybaby carcinogens? I maybe smell a new smokers annoying and nosy wife whining to her husband about his bad habit, and this lib is going to prove a fembot point. Or I'm just used to the nosy wife stuff.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    blurr:
    The Kid:
    xmacro:

agree to the troll, possibly wrong as usual. What does extracting flavor have to do with the post about crybaby carcinogens? I maybe smell a new smokers annoying and nosy wife whining to her husband about his bad habit, and this lib is going to prove a fembot point. Or I'm just used to the nosy wife stuff.
    You roll the dice and take your chances, that's the price to play.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dear Troll,

Life is meant to be experienced, enjoyed, tasted. I enjoy the experience of tasting cigars, made from tobacco, by humans. Both the tobacco, and the humans were placed here by God. Get off my case, find something for yourself to enjoy, life is short no matter how you look at it.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Hold up!! Smoking is bad for you?!?!?! When did this happen?! I thought it just made you look really cool!! Crap this is just bad news lmao
    Money can't buy taste
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also, according to Wikipedia: cigars are delicious and do, in fact, make you cool.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Roberto99Roberto99 Posts: 1,077
    xmacro:

I don't know anything about the additional additives part, that may be true that arsenic is added to cigarettes and not cigars but to be fair arsenic exists in rocks and soils all over the earth. Some areas more than others. Then, until recently arsenic pesticides were in use so there is increased arsenic in fertile growing soil that farmers used these pesticides on. Tobacco plants take up arsenic from these sources so it is likely that cigars have varying amounts of arsenic in them. Arsenic exposure increases the risks of many cancers but it is possible that one is exposed to more arsenic in eating rice than they would be exposed to smoking a cigar.
  • AVJimAVJim Posts: 449
    Welcome to the forum Heavyhittersclub! Hope you enjoy your time here. There are some great guys here and a ton of knowledge.
    "I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member"
  • mmccartneydcmmccartneydc Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭
    AVJim:
    Welcome to the forum Heavyhittersclub! Hope you enjoy your time here. There are some great guys here and a ton of knowledge.
    Yeah there are, now send me your address! Bwahahahahaahahahaha!
    mmccartneydc:
    AVJim:
    Yeah there are, now send me your address! Bwahahahahaahahahaha!

Matt...... I thought you would have learned your lesson!!!!! Do you really need for me to open the gates of hell again???
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    +1 Agree with the posts above ^^^^^^

But it does seem like everything these days has carcinogens and will give you cancer, just depends on which "doctor" or "expert" you ask.

But with cigars, like most things in life - moderation is key.
    Interesting discussion thread on LnF about cigars & health here:
    http://leafandflame.com/index.php?/topic/1841-cigars-and-health/

Or heck if you really love cigars, smoke 10/day every day, and roll the dice ...
    Maybe you don't live to 95, but who the heck wants to live that long anyways??

Oh and BTW, best way to "Extract flavor from Cigars" is by smoking them .
    ;-)

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good link, john. Id encourage anyone to read the studies that the gov't loves to quote. Most of the time you find that moderate cigar use is pretty benign.

Also, something to keep in mind with health studies like these. They study at the population level (everybody), and only make conclusions about general association with tobacco use (usually cigarettes) and certain illnesses. They do NOT speak at the individual level. To do this, the studies would have to account for many many health and social factors such as diet, exercise, age, sex, pre existing illness, family history, race, where you live and on, and on... population level epidemiological studies just arent meant to do that.

That means that no one can scientifically say you specifically will become sick/ill from smoking. They can only warn about general causality.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
    Heavyhittersclub...... you still out there? It's worth sticking around!!! Good stuff here!