Home Cigar 101

Wood stain odor on 5 Vegas Relic box.

Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
Just got a box of 5 Vegas Relics. The heavy duty box is interesting looking but I noticed a heavy smell of wood stain as soon as I took off the plastic wrap. Do you think this odor would have an effect on the cigars? Anybody else noticed this heavy smell of wood stain on these boxes?

Comments

• StsepasStsepas Posts: 475
    Bob, I've bought many boxes of other brand cigars that have been stained on the exterior. They've all had a smell once taking the shrink wrap off without any odor or taste on the smokes themselves. They weren't 5 Vegas they were a mixture of brands. I hope this helps! Good luck,
    Steve
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, I think many times cigar boxes are made and shipped out quickly and still have a lacquer smell from the sealant. I probably would not throw one of those boxes in a cooler until it airs out a little, but the sticks on the inside of the box should be OK.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • blurrblurr Posts: 962 ✭✭
    I got a box of Quesada Heisenberg's a few weeks back that had a lacquer smell on the outside, but the inside & cigars were fine. The box was the same thing, wrapped in plastic. It must have been plastic wrapped too soon after the lacquer application. I just let it air out for a few days, it lost the smell then I put the cigars & box in my cooler. It was just enough time for me to run the 3 day cycle of freezing the Heisenbergs, during that 3 days the box lost almost all of the lacquer smell. I would just give a few days sitting out, should be gone after that.
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks fellas for the replies on this.
  • RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    I just won 10 5V relics on the SS...what do you think of them?
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rain:
    I know you weren't asking me, lol! But I like them... Mine have a year on them, and they have an interesting spicy/sweet taste. I will have to smoke another soon and really pay attention. For a good deal, I'd buy more anytime.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • blurrblurr Posts: 962 ✭✭
    Also a very cool box design, if you're into that or have a nice cabinet humi they can be seen in. Haven't smoked one but they get pretty positive reviews for a 5V.
    Gray4lines:
    Rain:
    I know you weren't asking me, lol! But I like them... Mine have a year on them, and they have an interesting spicy/sweet taste. I will have to smoke another soon and really pay attention. For a good deal, I'd buy more anytime.
    It was an open question. I only bought them because they were 1/2 price on the SS...which has backfired on me before!
  • pelirrojopelirrojo Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭
    Yeppers. I just had a box of Ramon Bueso Odyssey show up yesterday and smelled pretty strongly when I pulled the plastic wrap off. The inside smelled of cedar and many leather bound books.
    Rain:
    I haven't had one yet. I should have picked up a five or ten first but, I think I got this box from the box bedlam sale last week. Either that or the sprint sale. Can't recall. I wanted them based on all the positive feedback here at the forum. If I don't like them, at least I know plenty of you guys will like them when I'm trading.
  • ddubridgeddubridge Posts: 3,978 ✭✭✭
    Rain:
    Gray4lines:
    Rain:
    It was an open question. I only bought them because they were 1/2 price on the SS...which has backfired on me before!
    They are terrible. Send them to me and I'll get rid of them for you.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you decide you don't like em let me know. I'd like to do a trade for some. This is the only 5Vega I haven't tried yet.
    Rhamlin:
    If you decide you don't like em let me know. I'd like to do a trade for some. This is the only 5Vega I haven't tried yet.
    Roger that.
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Rain:
    Gray4lines:
    Rain:
    LOVE THEM!!! Then again, I am gay for any MATASA puro... Translation: they are made by Quesada in his Dominican factory.
  • CigaryCigary Posts: 630
    Gray4lines:
    Yes, I think many times cigar boxes are made and shipped out quickly and still have a lacquer smell from the sealant. I probably would not throw one of those boxes in a cooler until it airs out a little, but the sticks on the inside of the box should be OK.
    Yep....nothing to worry about just let some fresh air get to it and then grab your cooler and throw those suckers in there.
    Rhamlin:
    Well I'm willing to trade ya up to five of em. Lemme know.