Home Cigar 101

Forum Blend Questions

RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
Here are the ingerdients in the 2012 forum blend. Wrapper: Sumatra Ecuador Oscuro (7th cut) Binder: San Andres Mexico Filler 1: 35% Habano Esteli Ligero Filler 2: 35% Habano Condega Ligero Filler 3: 20% Habano Jalapa Viso Filler 4: 10% Habano Ometepe Seco So what type of flavor profile can we expect? Also, what does "7th cut" mean?

Comments

• catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Curios to know when these left te rolling table, for aging purposes specifically.
  • Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    catfishbluezz:
    Curios to know when these left te rolling table, for aging purposes specifically.
    Alex Svenson:
    Cigars made and napping in the cold room at the factory. Still on pace cone end of Q1 beginning of Q2
    That was on 2/19, so figure that's a decent estimate.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    So if we say Feb and these are an AJ stick...****. They need a while haha.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Rain:
    Here are the ingerdients in the 2012 forum blend. Wrapper: Sumatra Ecuador Oscuro (7th cut) Binder: San Andres Mexico Filler 1: 35% Habano Esteli Ligero Filler 2: 35% Habano Condega Ligero Filler 3: 20% Habano Jalapa Viso Filler 4: 10% Habano Ometepe Seco So what type of flavor profile can we expect? Also, what does "7th cut" mean?
    when I have more time I can explain. Maybe someone else will before me. Sorry I'm at work on my phone.
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Rain:
    So if we say Feb and these are an AJ stick...****. They need a while haha.
    not necessarily... My experience has been 6 months off the rolling table is adequate. AJ may be different, depends on the blend though. With condega and ometepe it probably will for my tastes.
    Rain:
    So what type of flavor profile can we expect? Also, what does "7th cut" mean?
    the 7th cut refers to the priming. when tobacco is harvested for use in cigars the leaves are picked from the bottom up two at a time with about a week in between pickings. The first priming of the tobacco plant is the lowest set of leaves on the plant. It is the closest to the ground and gets less sun. The second priming is the next set of leaves leaves above; the third priming are the next. There are up to 8 primings of a tobacco plant depending on what type of plant it is. most of the time though the plant is separated into three main primings: Seco, Viso, and Ligero. (bottom to top)
    this gives more sun to the top leaves making them stronger than a lower priming.
    all true Oscuro leaves are the Ligero Priming. Oscuro wrapper leaves are taken from the top priming at medio tiempo (literally “half time,” meaning they’ve been left on the plant 50% longer). Since these leaves have been exposed to a maximum amount of sunlight, they begin to cure on the plant. You end up with a darker, thicker, richer and more flavorful leaf than that of a maduro.

on the wrapper we have chosen, the leaves were he last on the plant and taken off the stalk on the seventh cut.
    make sense?

what should we expect as far as flavor goes?

i would expect woody spice with a pulpy mouth feel. there will probably be coffee undertones and "meaty sweetness" that rounds it out.

of course this flavor profile is all speculation because i dont know how it was fermented, how long it has aged and i feel the binder is a bit of a wild card here.

if i had to compare what i think it will taste like to another cigar you all may know i would say that it would be a less "camp fire" version of the La Herencia Cubana CORE if it had a similar wrapper as the LFD Colorado Oscuro.

• rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    Has anyone noticed the new San Lotano The Bull? The wrapper is being described as Sumatra Ecuador Oscuro. My guess is that this is either the same wrapper for our blend or the same as the MoW Armada. Or maybe both. However, Matt you would know better than I.
    rwheelwright:
    Has anyone noticed the new San Lotano The Bull? The wrapper is being described as Sumatra Ecuador Oscuro. My guess is that this is either the same wrapper for our blend or the same as the MoW Armada. Or maybe both. However, Matt you would know better than I.
    i have not had it. i want to try it though.
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    kuzi16:
    rwheelwright:
    I just ordered a 5 pack of Robustos of The Bull.
  • Roberto99Roberto99 Posts: 1,077
    So what's the next step with the forum blend? Do we let them rest a week or two and then come back and give comments? or wait longer?
  • smoke_em_if_you_got_emsmoke_em_if_you_got_em Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭✭✭
    rwheelwright:
    kuzi16:
    rwheelwright:
    I just ordered a 5 pack of Robustos of The Bull.
    me too about 8am this morning
  • Alex_SvensonAlex_Svenson Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    see post in ciagar review area. I am worried this is going to get spread out all over the plcae. These are just phase 1. Like any blender, this is going to be a process. The fun here is getting to be part of the process!