Home Non Cigar Related
Options

In Flanders Field - WWI Memorial Day poem

xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
"In Flanders Fields" is a war poem written during the First World War by Canadian physician and Lieutenant Colonel John McCrae. He was inspired to write it on May 3, 1915, after presiding over the funeral of friend and fellow soldier Alexis Helmer, who died in the Second Battle of Ypres. It is one of the most popular and most quoted poems from the war, and is the inspiration behind what used to be called "Poppy Day", or Remembrance Day in the UK.

Years ago in the US, schoolchildren used to sell red paper flowers on poppy day and people would wear them on that day to commemorate it. Though the tradition has since died out, but the poem deserves to be remembered. To those who served, and those who serve now, "Thank you" just isn't enough to convey how much this nation owes to your work.

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

Comments

• Options
    RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    Never heard it before, thanks for sharing.
  • Options
    bearbbearb Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭
    John was born in Guelph, Ontario, Canada, in the same small city of 110, 000 ppl that i teach in. Must be more of a Canadian thing, but I always thought it was a pretty famous poem to 'celebrate' Nov 11, Rememberance day, sometimes known as 'poppy day' or 'Armistace Day.' . The red remembrance poppy has become a familiar emblem of Remembrance Day due to the poem "In Flanders Fields". These poppies bloomed across some of the worst battlefields of Flanders in World War I, their brilliant red colour an appropriate symbol for the blood spilled in the war.

Are poppies not worn by people in the US on this day? (It was noted above, that 'the tradition has died out.') Poppies and Nov. 11 are very linked here...not sure i could imagine not having poppies that day, or the weeks surrounding that day.