Home Cigar 101

Xikar lighter malfunction

I have a xikar single flame torch that will not stay lit. I have followed the direction for filling to a tee. What could be the problem?

Comments

• pilgrimtexpilgrimtex Posts: 429
    Had same problem with my xikar freebie from cigar.com. Mine has settled down. I found that blowing the jets using canned air or an air compressor worked for me. I forgot who mentioned using the butane can and pushin down on the jets like your gonna fill it also worked. Originally I took the case off and blew compressed air in from the bottom but now I just blow into the jets from the top. Also completely draining the lighter by depressing the fill valve before refilling gets all the air out of it. Recommended each time you refill.
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    pilgrimtex:
    Had same problem with my xikar freebie from cigar.com. Mine has settled down. I found that blowing the jets using canned air or an air compressor worked for me. I forgot who mentioned using the butane can and pushin down on the jets like your gonna fill it also worked. Originally I took the case off and blew compressed air in from the bottom but now I just blow into the jets from the top. Also completely draining the lighter by depressing the fill valve before refilling gets all the air out of it. Recommended each time you refill.
    What is the resulting malfunction if you don't bleed your lighter before each re-fill? I've been having some trouble too maybe because I've been skipping the bleeding procedure. I was thinking you only had to do it every now and then.
  • Churchill83Churchill83 Posts: 80
    I will try the butane method. I have tried compressed air with only short term success
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bob Luken:
    pilgrimtex:
    What is the resulting malfunction if you don't bleed your lighter before each re-fill? I've been having some trouble too maybe because I've been skipping the bleeding procedure. I was thinking you only had to do it every now and then.
    Bleeding only necessary when you notice it wont light, seems to run out of butane quickly. If it's full of air or propellent each fill will not last as long. I typically bleed at each refill though
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
    Churchill83:
    I have a xikar single flame torch that will not stay lit. I have followed the direction for filling to a tee. What could be the problem?
    I have noticed the xikar inpress lighter are very picky about the level of the butane flow"wheel." Have you messed with the flow adjustment?
    Gray4lines:
    Churchill83:
    I have noticed the xikar inpress lighter are very picky about the level of the butane flow"wheel." Have you messed with the flow adjustment?
    I have it has to be full and tuning it about halfway down the flame cuts out. Also on a fresh purge and refill works great until the butane gets about half full
  • pilgrimtexpilgrimtex Posts: 429
    Churchill83:
    Gray4lines:
    Churchill83:
    I have it has to be full and tuning it about halfway down the flame cuts out. Also on a fresh purge and refill works great until the butane gets about half full

mine is the same. haven't had a problem since keeping the jets clean and letting all the air out at refill. Keep mine about 2/3rds full adjust and it is working fine. Stays on when rolling the cigar.
  • Roberto99Roberto99 Posts: 1,077
    Gray4lines:
    Churchill83:
    I have this same issue with a Xicar lighter. There is only about 1/8" on the flow wheel that I can adjust it for it to light and stay lit properly. When I first got the lighter I thought it was junk bc I couldn't get it to light. Now that it is adjusted into it's tiny range it works just fine.
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Always drain completely. Always only pump it with butane once for five seconds. Keep it clean. If you need to, there is a set screw on the flame adjustment wheel you can remove and adjust the governor if you need more flame. Just be careful, as it will go full blown blow torch lol. If it still does not work, take it to any Xikar dealer for an exchange.
    And if they do not carry that lighter, they should give you store credit, as Xikar will refund them the wholesale cost of your lighter regardless of where you bought it. If they refuse...call Xikar...and thy wont refuse you again.
    I tried the butane method through the burner with no success. I completely bled the tank of butane and air, refilled and still no luck. Cat I will try the set screw I was wondering what that controlled. If that does not work I can take it to any B&M that sells xikar torches for an exchange? That would be great as I did not want to wait on the shipping to and fro.
  • edelrionycedelrionyc Posts: 361 ✭✭✭
    Don't waste your time trying to figure out the problem. I had issues with a xikar lighter and no matter what i did i couldn't get it to work right. I decided to finally send it in to the company since they have a life time warranty. Within two weeks a got the exact same lighter back and it's working perfectly. Go to their website and go through the steps of sending it to them. Very easy to do and you will get a lighter that works perfect.
  • CigaryCigary Posts: 630
    Lighter issues can drive you catfish crazy and usually the problem is there is air trapped in the chamber. Purging is your friend and most think that once you've purged it's all out...it isn't. Purge about 2 or 3 times until there is absolutely NO AIR in the chamber and before you purge do what others have said...compressed air is another friend. When go to refill turn the wheel all the way down so the butane is charging like it should...the valve needs to be in this position to get as much butane in as possible and ensure that you don't have any hissing sound during the charge.....otherwise you've just refilled with butane and air and that will cause you the same problems. Practice and ensure you are charging your lighter at a 90 degree angle...or if you have to put the lighter on a table and approach with the can of butane to recharge. Once you kink the nozzle of the can you've screwed the pooch on a refill. Wait about 5 minutes before you try and light it....turn the dial up about 1/4 and then light...if it does light then turn it up another 1/4 turn until the darn thing lights. I have over 25 lighters and have had success using this method as it works about 80% of the time. I also work on lighters and one thing you have to do with all of them...light em or use at least 2X a week or the deals inside tend to dry out and then bleed butane and you won't be able to get them to work. Also, overcharging tends to blow out the seals as well. Common recharges say you count to 8 while you charge and then wait a few seconds and then charge again for another 4 seconds. This ensures that your lighter is completely charged with no room for air to get into the chamber.
    Roberto99:
    Gray4lines:
    Churchill83:
    I have this same issue with a Xicar lighter. There is only about 1/8" on the flow wheel that I can adjust it for it to light and stay lit properly. When I first got the lighter I thought it was junk bc I couldn't get it to light. Now that it is adjusted into it's tiny range it works just fine.
    I had this same problem with my xikar crossover... even with the wheel all the way "open" my lighter would only let enougj butane flow to empty about 3/4 of the tank. As the tank is used up, the pressure decreases. So i would have to refill more often/waste butane if I bled it completely emty.

I will post a picture to go with this explanation. If you can remove the butane flow adjustment wheel, then get a small screw driver (i bought a glasses repair case at dollar store) and remove the wheel. You can then turn the valve clockwise about 1/4 to 1/2 turn. This sets the "range" of the wheel to an all around higher flow setting. Then repace the wheel. The effect is that the minimum butane flow setting (wheel all the way down) is higher than it was before. This gives you a better range to control the flow of butane and you dont need to have the wheel set at all the way open for it to work.

Hope that makes sense! Of course if you dont have an oversized adjustable wheel, this wont work.
    The screw to remove the flywheel on a xikar. image
    Churchill83:
    I tried the butane method through the burner with no success. I completely bled the tank of butane and air, refilled and still no luck. Cat I will try the set screw I was wondering what that controlled. If that does not work I can take it to any B&M that sells xikar torches for an exchange? That would be great as I did not want to wait on the shipping to and fro.
    Yes...they should exchange, or give you store credit. If they don't, they are being stingy... Xikar's lifetime warranty applies to every dealer period, and you can walk in and get credit to buy a new one, as they will get credit. If they refuse, they are just being lazy. I was told by a rep for them, if a store says no, call me and we will pull them if they continue to refuse.
  • The_buffalonianThe_buffalonian Posts: 987 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the info Catfish,I didn't know that it applies to all stores just the one you bought it from.