Home Ratings & Reviews

La Aroma de Compost

webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
Yesterday I mounted the big beemer bagger to ride an hour through beautiful Merryland countryside to visit an affable redneck hippy who owns a hobby farm near the Susquehanna where he grows his own tobacco. I bombed him with half a dozen store bought premiums, and he in return gave me half a dozen tobacco sprouts from which to roll my own. These sprouts make my seedlings look absolutely pathetic. Check this out:
That's my habano above, assuming that you use a high def computer monitor. Those viewing this post on a smart phone will have to zoom in. That's his Yellow Orinoco taking up the rest of the screen. Zoom out. I truly do have a black thumb.

I planted his sprouts soon as I got home. Discovered I had busted a palm sized leaf off one of them in transport. Then I sat in the shade, drank beer from the stogie stein, and broke out one of the seven Rain sent me for review.

La Aroma de Cuba smells more like la aroma de compost. Dark brown with a greenish cast. Packed tight tight tight; hard as a honeymoon dyck from foot to head. Super smooth, super even construction. This was a long corona. Just shy of six inches and maybe 47 gauge. Had a bitter grass flavor to the wrapper unlit, with a bit of a sting to the taste. Cello had a yellowish cast to it. Some color blind person put a whole lot of effort into both bands, I tell you. The lower band had "EE" on it, from which I derived this was Edicion Especial -- special edition.

La Aroma uncapped easily, leaving a ragged end. Little shreds popping out from where the cap had been. Kind of thing makes you go phut phut until you get the bits off your tongue. Unlit draw was more mulch. She fired right up with one match toasting her foot. Right away I knew this stogie was not for me. A sour stinky mulch flavor hit like a ton of sour stinky mulch. Stingy with her smoke, but strong with flavor: wet leaves piled up a week in the sun. So I let her sit to see if she would burn in and mellow out. Not so. Just barely this side of uck. I soldiered on, trying to get used to it. It did mellow at least from compost to wet earth or damp peat. A hint of cedar. Smoke was small in volume, stringy in shape, and scattered quickly. Mild retro. If I could have enjoyed the retro without putting the thing in my mought I would have rated it a full star higher. I must say in La Aroma's favor that Bearswatter told me repeatedly how nice it smelled at a distance. I got up and left it, and indeed, it smelt quite tasty so long as it was not in your face. Like bagpipes: The Brits tell us that bagpipes are fine at a distance, and that Scotland is just far enough. Alas, I could not puff it at a distance. That blows.

Another objectionable oddity was the ash. The ash looked tight enough; but it would drop with no warning at less what the heck, leaving a raggedy cherry. That happened every 3/8" like clockwork. Have never had a stick drop ash so quick. An inch or so in, I discovered that I had to puff frequently to keep it alive. Then I dlet it sit, it wanted to go out. Hiscovered the flavor wants rum, not beer. That improved the thing a bunch. But about that same time, it abruptly extinguished with a touch less than half the stick left. Not worth re-lighting.

Not much stink finger. Mild mulch morning mouth. Half a damp wheeze. I rated this cigar one and a half stars out of five.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

Comments

• VisionVision Posts: 7,764 ✭✭✭✭✭
    webmost:
    Yesterday I mounted the big beemer bagger to ride an hour through beautiful Merryland countryside to visit an affable redneck hippy who owns a hobby farm near the Susquehanna where he grows his own tobacco. I bombed him with half a dozen store bought premiums, and he in return gave me half a dozen tobacco sprouts from which to roll my own. These sprouts make my seedlings look absolutely pathetic. Check this out:
    That's my habano above, assuming that you use a high def computer monitor. Those viewing this post on a smart phone will have to zoom in. That's his Yellow Orinoco taking up the rest of the screen. Zoom out. I truly do have a black thumb.

I planted his sprouts soon as I got home. Discovered I had busted a palm sized leaf off one of them in transport. Then I sat in the shade, drank beer from the stogie stein, and broke out one of the seven Rain sent me for review.

La Aroma de Cuba smells more like la aroma de compost. Dark brown with a greenish cast. Packed tight tight tight; hard as a honeymoon dyck from foot to head. Super smooth, super even construction. This was a long corona. Just shy of six inches and maybe 47 gauge. Had a bitter grass flavor to the wrapper unlit, with a bit of a sting to the taste. Cello had a yellowish cast to it. Some color blind person put a whole lot of effort into both bands, I tell you. The lower band had "EE" on it, from which I derived this was Edicion Especial -- special edition.

La Aroma uncapped easily, leaving a ragged end. Little shreds popping out from where the cap had been. Kind of thing makes you go phut phut until you get the bits off your tongue. Unlit draw was more mulch. She fired right up with one match toasting her foot. Right away I knew this stogie was not for me. A sour stinky mulch flavor hit like a ton of sour stinky mulch. Stingy with her smoke, but strong with flavor: wet leaves piled up a week in the sun. So I let her sit to see if she would burn in and mellow out. Not so. Just barely this side of uck. I soldiered on, trying to get used to it. It did mellow at least from compost to wet earth or damp peat. A hint of cedar. Smoke was small in volume, stringy in shape, and scattered quickly. Mild retro. If I could have enjoyed the retro without putting the thing in my mought I would have rated it a full star higher. I must say in La Aroma's favor that Bearswatter told me repeatedly how nice it smelled at a distance. I got up and left it, and indeed, it smelt quite tasty so long as it was not in your face. Like bagpipes: The Brits tell us that bagpipes are fine at a distance, and that Scotland is just far enough. Alas, I could not puff it at a distance. That blows.

Another objectionable oddity was the ash. The ash looked tight enough; but it would drop with no warning at less what the heck, leaving a raggedy cherry. That happened every 3/8" like clockwork. Have never had a stick drop ash so quick. An inch or so in, I discovered that I had to puff frequently to keep it alive. Then I dlet it sit, it wanted to go out. Hiscovered the flavor wants rum, not beer. That improved the thing a bunch. But about that same time, it abruptly extinguished with a touch less than half the stick left. Not worth re-lighting.

Not much stink finger. Mild mulch morning mouth. Half a damp wheeze. I rated this cigar one and a half stars out of five.

...... And you like Panacea more then the LAdC... o_O
    You may want to pick up a few more. Also.... You may want to try lowering the RH to 64-66%. You have more issues with cigars then anyone Ive ever seen on the interwebs.
  • stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    I'd second that. Try a lower humidity... the LAdC ee is a great cigar. It was one of the blends that got me into Pepin's work.
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The humidor reads 65.
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• blurrblurr Posts: 962 ✭✭
    webmost:
    The humidor reads 65.
    I mentioned this awhile back, all sour taste and burn issues point to a consistently high humidity. I'm assuming you are using a good digital hygrometer and not the cheap metal dial one that comes on most humis? And I'm assuming you have salt tested it to verify its reading Accurately? I still think you are somewhere high of 70~75.
  • RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    These have been in his humi three days max, I doubt they taste bad because his RH is high.I went back through to check and might have missed it, but did he say he had a burn issue?
    blurr:
    webmost:
    The humidor reads 65.
    I mentioned this awhile back, all sour taste and burn issues point to a consistently high humidity. I'm assuming you are using a good digital hygrometer and not the cheap metal dial one that comes on most humis? And I'm assuming you have salt tested it to verify its reading Accurately? I still think you are somewhere high of 70~75.
    The digital in the humidor agrees with the analog in the humidor, and both were salt tested recently together. This cigar sat alongside a Nic second which I reviewed right before this and which burnt perfectly. Along it's other side laid a Nub sun grown which I shall torch up right now.

Tell you what : I stopped by the B&M just now to score another of these just to compare, but I missed their holiday hours by ten minutes. I will stop by again, and if they have one, I will score it. Not right to let one bad apple ruin the barrel.

• BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    stephen_hannibal:
    I'd second that. Try a lower humidity... the LAdC ee is a great cigar. It was one of the blends that got me into Pepin's work.
    It's a very solid blend, never had an issue...give it another shot..
  • VisionVision Posts: 7,764 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bigshizza:
    stephen_hannibal:
    It's a very solid blend, never had an issue...give it another shot..

+1 Their Lancero is very under rated and Marquis is very solid sub $6-$7
    Not to Thread Redirect..... I went out and picked up 4 Panacea all resting at 70/70. In a few days I will pop them in my 64RH humi naked and smoke them within a week of doing so. I had a highly rated cigar yesterday..... it was right out of a B&M humi..... didnt notice till after I purchased the humi was at 68Deg and 77RH. It had burn issues and tasted like ass... moist ass (dont ask). Didnt even put it in my "What Ive been smoking..." I knew it was my fault.... but it was the only stick I had on me.
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I found a few of these LadC lanceros at a B&M and found them to be very good. Extremely smooth retro.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • blurrblurr Posts: 962 ✭✭
    webmost:
    blurr:
    webmost:
    The humidor reads 65.
    The digital in the humidor agrees with the analog in the humidor, and both were salt tested recently together. This cigar sat alongside a Nic second which I reviewed right before this and which burnt perfectly. Along it's other side laid a Nub sun grown which I shall torch up right now.

Tell you what : I stopped by the B&M just now to score another of these just to compare, but I missed their holiday hours by ten minutes. I will stop by again, and if they have one, I will score it. Not right to let one bad apple ruin the barrel.

I'm at a loss anymore. I would throw out maybe you shouldn't smoke a cigar that's been in transit thru shipping and rh and huge temp swings from Texas? I mean that wad the first few months of me into cigars, never smoke a new stick right of the truck. But that doesn't account for hating a great blend or at least a decent experience with all these highly rated sticks. I think you're almost like mark Twain, who professed to loving the dirtiest cheapest cigars, the cheaper the better. Or your just effing with us anymore. Makes no sense anymore, I give up but I know if I bomb you with some dirt cheap cigars you will be as happy as a pig in shi T. Its honestly like you off the bat hate any cigar that costs more than 2 bucks. Maybe you just enjoy cheap cigars? This makes me want to get my schedule rearranged, to herf with the man behind the myth!
  • ehehatehehat Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭
    Everyone's tastes are different and I certainly wouldn't say you're wrong in your assessment. As for me, I think they're a really solid smoke and have never gotten anything you mentioned in terms of flavor profile. The surprise to me is the ash, you don't mention burn issues per say but constantly wanting to go out and the dropping ash is opposite of my experience. I agree with the rest; try another, you never know. I wish I still had one, I'd send it to you. Dropping cash on a stick you're already dubious of is hard to do.
  • RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    Haha, this is awesome.When can we talk about how much I hate My Fathers and Olivas?
  • BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gray4lines:
    I found a few of these LadC lanceros at a B&M and found them to be very good. Extremely smooth retro.
    You're peaking my interest young Gray...
  • ehehatehehat Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭
    Rain:
    Haha, this is awesome.When can we talk about how much I hate My Fathers and Olivas?
    that's different Randy, you are wrong. :)
    seriously, I'm not a big fan of the MF le biju i had either, they're just meh to me but one of my favorite cigars is the Ezra Zion Reagan an I've read that others just think they're barely ok. So glad so many blends are available to keep us all happy.
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bigshizza:
    Gray4lines:
    You're peaking my interest young Gray...
    I wish I could've found more! They only had 3, and I may have one left if you want it. I only smoked one, so I don't remember a whole lot except for it was skinny, it was long, and it was good. Definitely was a special ed. don't know about ee, I will have to go look at it!
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
    I truly try not to look at the price when assessing a cigar. It's easier not to when it's a cigar I've been gifted and which I have never seen -- I just don't google the thing until afterwards. I'll bet that if you look over my many reviews here, cheap and expensive, you'll find price is not a factor in what I rate highly. I am firmly convinced that most cigar afficionados, like BMW riders, elevate the principle that more money == more better. Which is bunk. Perhaps it is loyalty to the belief that things must be expensive for a reason which baffles you when I rate a pricey stick low.

McD is crap, true; but Five Guys makes a five buck burger which I prefer any day of the week over the twelve buck bomb I ate at Bahama Breeze last Friday.

Panaceas are far from cheap. Smithdale Oscuros are far from expensive. I like them both.
    My Father Petit Bijou is far from cheap. Fighting *** is far from expensive. I hated them both.

What stick do you like cheap? What stick do you like expensive?

• pelirrojopelirrojo Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭
    I had a LaDC Mi Amor not too long ago that did not do much for me. The ash was as far from solid as it could be. It seemed really bland to me. I've liked everything else I've had from DPG/MF but this was not good at all. No real burn issues, just didn't hold an ash. I'm not surprised by this review. Diff'rent strokes I guess.
  • raisindotraisindot Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    Very interesting. I love the original La Aroma De Cuba, since it has that strong spicy flavor I like. I didn't like LADC Mi Amor as much--it didn't have the same level of spice and fullness as the original. Still, one of the few cigars I've actually bought more than one of recently. I think I am definitely in the Pepin camp.
    I called the cigar geek on duty at my B&M to ask him about La Aroma de Cuba Edicion Especial. Turns out he was stocking the shelves with a new shipment of them as we spoke. So I will wait for a week or two for them to settle in, then score one from their room and smoke it right after.