Home Ratings & Reviews

Upmann #2 or Diplo #2?

blurrblurr Posts: 962 ✭✭
If you've had both, with a few years rest, which would you pick up a box of?

Comments

• zeebrazeebra Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭
    I'd go with the HUpmann, but everyone has diff taste.
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    They are very similar actually. What I will tell you is this, buy whichever you can be an older box. They both need TONS of age... The diplo develop a distinct vanilla note that is divine. Current production is supposedly really good, but I won't touch mine for another year or so (2012). The upmann are good once they hit 3 years, but take a serious change around 6-7 years. The diplo will be ready earlier, but both take forever. Boli and VR pyramided are much better younger.
  • blurrblurr Posts: 962 ✭✭
    I can handle a 3 year wait no problem, enough stock. The vanilla note, I go out of my way when I find cigars that have that ever so slight vanilla hint in the aftertaste. Thinking I may hit the diplos, I know they are 2012's. I can wait for upmanns at 6 years, but we never know when our time comes if you know what I mean. But I always build stock for longhaul so I have to think on this. Just wanting a bit more pyramides in my stash for the few days I have timeto enjoy a smoke for 2 hours. Thanks guys.
    For sure man, I've been through two boxes and several fivers of Upmanns from 2005-2011. Currently, the 2008 and 2009 leftovers need a couple years. I had some Diplo's from 07 that were out of this world and heard current production was good so I jumped. I had one ROTT and the initial third was as I remembered, then it went south...bad lol. Enough that I won't touch the box for another year, but have heard at 18 months 2011 are fantastic. Go for it bro.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    ive got a few Upmann #2s hangin around. i should smoke one soon. i think one of them is from 07 or 08. i need to go diggin in the humis again.

personally i wasnt a big fan of the diplomaticos marca. all taste i guess.
  • blurrblurr Posts: 962 ✭✭
    I haven't smoked older pyramides, but I've heard the same things on almost all 2012 production, that its all showing promise and I'm gathering that they are making an effort to in house age much better in line with NC markets. I have 12s in petit coronas that are real good already with a year. That made my decision, I can stock up on boxes of 2012 stock so I'm filing the wineador. My other humis can be smoking stock for the next 2 years. Going diplo on this order.
    It might be due to aging, but it has also been stated that the crops from 08-10 were excellent and so 11-12 is showing it. I can tell you without a doubt, about 50/50 of it is unreal ROTT and the rest need aging. Even still, they excel with proper long term aging anyways. It's nice to buy stuff ROTT and be able to stash others. I will be definitely be buying VR in late 2013-14 as well. From what I've heard, their 12 crop was unreal.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    I happen to have an Upmann #2 sent to me in 08 or 09. I should give it a try one day soon.