Home General Discussion

Wineador question.

VisionVision Posts: 7,764 ✭✭✭✭✭
Today was the first real hot day all year at 91Deg. Ive always left my Vinotemp28 on 66 setting but with the hot temps the unit was sitting at 72. I dropped it to the 64 degree setting and when I came home the unit was at 69 degrees and 60 RH!!! Why the huge drop in RH? Thanks guys!

Comments

• catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    It happens wen temps go up. Two of my humis did this last week, so I just added some shot glasses with water and sprayed the KL heavy. Two days later they are fine. With the Wineador, I only see drops when I add boxes. However, a major heat wave will hit this week so who knows. I always run mine about 68-69 so the boxes are 64-65
  • VisionVision Posts: 7,764 ✭✭✭✭✭
    catfishbluezz:
    It happens wen temps go up. Two of my humis did this last week, so I just added some shot glasses with water and sprayed the KL heavy. Two days later they are fine. With the Wineador, I only see drops when I add boxes. However, a major heat wave will hit this week so who knows. I always run mine about 68-69 so the boxes are 64-65

I did the same... heavy spray.... Its at 64RH which I am totaly cool with.... Drawers ordered.... once they get here I am shooting for 65-66RH.
  • insomnniapbinsomnniapb Posts: 590
    I had the same problem with my vinotemp. I moved it to a room that was a bit cooler in the house with a steady temp and no problems anymore. I have active humidification and beads in mine with a full stock of shelves, and basicly I attributed it to this: the temps in the room go up the wineador can't keep up once they get into the 80+ range so I tried setting it lower, which made the fan and themo unit run constantly to try and keep the range.... Pumping tons of colder dry air into the winedor. Cool air holds less water so the beads and active humidifier released moister as quick as they could. Eventually it would be stable again, but once the unit stopped trying to pump cold air in, usually during the night my humidity would shoot way up as the unit warmed up. This would in turn lead to condensation in the bottom and a fairly wide range of fluctuation in temperature and humidity during very hot days. Nothing ever got past the 70-70 range, but that's too close to the line for my personal liking. I ended up moving the unit into a room in my house with a more stable temp range and it has been spot on since!
  • nickiamnickiam Posts: 608 ✭✭
    Also, refrigeration removes humidity from the air. The warmer it is outside the box..the harder the box has to work....the lower the humidity inside the box.
  • blurrblurr Posts: 962 ✭✭
    I'm glad my wineador sits in a 65 degree yr round basement. Haven't had to deal with this yet, plus its condensor. Either way, if you store all of your smokes in boxes, and just throw the full boxes in the wineador, it gives a very good buffer zone so the cigars don't see these rh and (somewhat) temp swings that the inside of the wineador does. I've always stored this way, just my preferred method because rh is VERY stable inside the boxes.
    Did you Vinotemp owners plug the spill drain?
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is one other thought I'd add in here, the air pumped into the unit by the compressor is EXTREMELY dry air due to the process that naturally occurs when a compressor and refrigerator cools air down. If you dropped the temp on the unit dramatically (my definition being more than 3-4 degrees) then the unit will be pumping in a decent amount of dry cold air. It does this (it being the refrigeration unit of the Vinotemp) by design so that there isn't a condensation buildup in the unit itself and by design pulls moisture out of the air that its pushing into the Vinotemp's interior. I'm not surprised that the rH dropped due to this change in temp settings.

The advice Dustin gave is spot on and should get you where you are going, just figured I would explain the WHY behind it since the solution was already presented to you Vision :)
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
    90+ Irishman:
    There is one other thought I'd add in here, the air pumped into the unit by the compressor is EXTREMELY dry air due to the process that naturally occurs when a compressor and refrigerator cools air down. If you dropped the temp on the unit dramatically (my definition being more than 3-4 degrees) then the unit will be pumping in a decent amount of dry cold air. It does this (it being the refrigeration unit of the Vinotemp) by design so that there isn't a condensation buildup in the unit itself and by design pulls moisture out of the air that its pushing into the Vinotemp's interior. I'm not surprised that the rH dropped due to this change in temp settings.

The advice Dustin gave is spot on and should get you where you are going, just figured I would explain the WHY behind it since the solution was already presented to you Vision :)
    Its a Thermo Electric unit.... No compressor. I plugged the Spill Drain and looks good.
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vision:
    90+ Irishman:

Its a Thermo Electric unit.... No compressor. I plugged the Spill Drain and looks good.
    My apologies I didn't know yours was thermoelectric, nevermind then lol
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
    67RH 70 Deg YAY!!
  • insomnniapbinsomnniapb Posts: 590
    I did plug my drain. Filled a mesh bag with beads and put it where the condensation drips in. Like I said I have only seen condensation when I turned the unit down from the 66 degree setting and it ran for the better part of the day due to temp in the house reaching the low 90's... After I moved it it's solid for over a week now with no problems at all!
  • jgkaminjgkamin Posts: 110 ✭✭
    Good topic. I've had my wineador a year now and always kept it at 66 degrees which has been fine. When it got to the 90s the past couple of days, I dropped the temp to the minimum if 54 degree and that is when my humidity also went haywire.