Home General Discussion

point of no return

Ok, so I'm over here in Iraq. The little hajji shops here sell so called Cubans, although I know most are not real Cubans. However, I also know a good fresh smoke is a good fresh smoke. Most that I have seen are pretty dry. And there is my question, at what point is a cigar to dry to try to rehydrate it. It wouldnt be easy here being in a desert but it may be worth a try. I have found a fresh one here and there but its rare. Any suggestions? Thanks,

Comments

• madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    The point of no return is when its cracked and split. If it is still in tact you can rehydrate it. Just bring the humidity up slowly don't throw it right into your 70% RH humi, it will split it. The proper way to do it is to stick the dry cigar in a zip lock bag with a digital hygrometer for 24 hours or so and find out what RH it is currently at. Then bring the RH up 5% at a time so as not to damage the cigar. Now to do that you'd need either an active humidification system like the cigar oasis OR know your beads very well and understand how many you'd need to moisten to emit 55% RH, 60%, etc. What I have seen done successfully is just sticking them in a large ziplock bag with a water pillow or something like that. These work very slowly at humidifying, so if you stuck the cigar and the water pillow in at the same time you would slowly bring the RH level of the cigar up and have a better shot of it not splitting the wrapper on you.

Now all that said once a cigar has dried out it has lost a lot of its essential oils and therefore will never be exactly what it was supposed to be. Just keep that in mind when you are smoking a cigar that has been dried out.
  • Bad AndyBad Andy Posts: 848
    Thanks for the info Mad. I don't have a humi out here yet so I will work on that first. I'm using humipouches for now, they seem to be working ok but I do miss the flavor that cedar adds to a cigar. We also get samplers that are passed around and shared out here so they have dried out some. This is good info to pass on out here either way. The biggest issue is water, it's treated and most of it is nonpotable so it will cause mold. I know that from experiance. If I can get the water out here, I would be better off but I will work on that next month when i am R&R. Again thanks for the help.
    Sure thing Andy. PM me an address that will reach you there in Iraq I'd be happy to send a bunch of fully charged Water Pillows and bags for you guys to use.
    Thanks again, I will pass some onto the Chaplain. He holds a 'Holy Smoke' every week. I'm sure he couls some. When i get back I will try to pass something on to repay the favor.
    Andy no need to repay the favor. How many guys usually show up for the "Holy Smoke"?
    usually 6-8 maybe a few more, depending on how busy folks are, i am the usually the only civilian in the group, i plan on getting them a couple of bundles when i'm home on r&r
    Oh you're a civilian! Oh nothing for you, lol. Just kidding I'll try to get them out tomorrow.
    I am however, a former Marine. Most contractors are former military, who else is crazy enough to come to this awful place. Thanks for the help. Anything you send me will be greatly shared with the Marines and other troops that I am around.
    I'm a consultant and do a lot of DOD contracts as well, haven't been to Iraq YET! I would go in heart beat if given the oppurtunity. I'm not former military though.
    I need your job...I'm about done with this place, contracts can be pretty cut-throat over here.
    I've heard. Are you allowed to say what you are doing?
    Yeah, I work on electronics, RF equipment at this point.
    Well at least its interesting work and you're not a blackwater contractor ;)
  • zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Posts: 1,214
    Andy, one of my buddies arrives in theater this week for his second sandbox tour. He's a Combat MP. He told me that he created a "field expedient" humi on his last trip by lining a .30 cal ammo can with cedar from a broken up box.
    That sounds like an awesome idea. I am going home soon on R&R so I think I will send myself a regular humi for out here then pass it on when I leave.