Home Cigar 101

Online humidor purchases VS B&M

LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭
Anyone have experience purchasing humidors via internet and through b&m? if so which was the better experience/choice? Im thinking i need to upgrade or add on to my current system for sticks if i wanna get into bombing and trading. What are your thoughts on humidor purchases? Style recommendations?
Life is like a blind fiver. You never know what you're gonna get.

Comments

• pilgrimtexpilgrimtex Posts: 429
    How many sticks do you want it to hold?
  • LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭
    Minimum 100 sticks. Cause i will be keeping my 40-50 count humi i have now as well.
    I also dont want to get a cheap poorly constructed humi but i dont wanna spend an arm and a leg.
    lol I wants this!!!!
  • thedjfish@comcast.netthedjfish@comcast.net Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭
    i have bought several online, just depends on which vendor you get it from,
    i have gotten one on c.com sprint sale, i have gotten a few from CI and few from amazon none had any issues,
    For the love of pete... If you click on my signature on my last post it will take you to the humi i just found and want! lol I cant get this link thing down on here!
    LiquidChaos66:
    For the love of pete... If you click on my signature on my last post it will take you to the humi i just found and want! lol I cant get this link thing down on here!
    hey all you posted is "i want this", i did'nt see anything, so i made my suggestions, its from premium humidors i got my large 300ct from them so far so good
    NO NO NO!!!!! That "for the love of Pete" was not directed at you!!!! Lmao no it was my exasperation from trying to figure out how to post a link! My bad! Im so sorry no way shape or form directed at you!!!! Just bad post timing.
    I officially inadvertently feel like a ****. Lol
    for what? i was not bothered, i just stated what i read and seen, no big deal
    Yeah... I found quite a few on amazon that are reasonable prices. I've looked on quite a few cigar sites at their deals and it seems amazon has some of the better prices and a few more options. Somewhere in one of my earlier posts there is a link that attached to my signature of one I found. Take a look and lemme know what you think if you have a few moments.
  • perkinkeperkinke Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭
    I don't have one like the one you want, but one thing to remember is that the same thing will have 5 or 6 different names depending on who is selling. One of the things I did was get on google image and search and I found the one I wanted for quite a bit less than advertised in other places. PM to you.
    well the good thing about amazon if you find what your looking for, and you have a prime account, shipping is free, and for a humidor that could save a few bucks, but you have to watch because on the same note they are a bit higher then others because of the free prime shipping, so you have to consider the humi you want from site A and from site B but make sure you see the shipping rates before hand,sometimes they can charge a shipping fee thats insane half the price of the humi.
    Yeah I don't have a prime account... Ill have to keep shipping in mind when ordering. I still have to talk to my B&M and see what they have in stock or availability to order. I'm sure like most retail stores their prices might be a little bit higher in store.
  • pilgrimtexpilgrimtex Posts: 429
    Don't forget on-line is generally no tax vs local B&M and there are a number of on-line places that give free shipping over Father's day or over $100
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've never seen a B&M that could compete with online prices. You could try and bargain with them. I'm sure they would rather make a small profit than no profit. Plus they are "there" if you need help. I'm all for helping the local B&M. However, all of my wooden humidors (except one from a second hand store) were purchased online. Try Tampa Humidor. I found that they have prices on some humidors that are lower than I was able to find elsewhere. I have purchased two from them. Nothing special. Just your standard "Quality Importers" (Made in China) humidors. But you know what? As "enthusiastic" as you are about getting into the trading and bombing business maybe you should get a 70 Quart cooler at walmart for forty bucks and spend the rest on cigars. LOL
  • ddubridgeddubridge Posts: 3,978 ✭✭✭
    Jiunn had that exact humidor for sale. I don't know if he still does but you might wanna pm him to check. I also have that humi. I ordered it on amazon with out issue. Still love it.
    Yeah that's the one I want! Lol I'm looking into that for my birthday. I highly doubt ill need more space than that. Even with trades and bombing I plan on moving things fairly quickly when I get into it. That way I may not even breach the 300 count limit. If I get too close or over it ill just send out a bomb or two to bring it back to a more reasonable capacity. Plus coolers don't look as pretty as that humi. :)
    Bob Luken:
    I've never seen a B&M that could compete with online prices. You could try and bargain with them. I'm sure they would rather make a small profit than no profit. Plus they are "there" if you need help. I'm all for helping the local B&M. However, all of my wooden humidors (except one from a second hand store) were purchased online. Try Tampa Humidor. I found that they have prices on some humidors that are lower than I was able to find elsewhere. I have purchased two from them. Nothing special. Just your standard "Quality Importers" (Made in China) humidors. But you know what? As "enthusiastic" as you are about getting into the trading and bombing business maybe you should get a 70 Quart cooler at walmart for forty bucks and spend the rest on cigars. LOL
    Ill check out Tampa humidors shortly too
  • mmccartneydcmmccartneydc Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭
    LiquidChaos66:
    Yeah that's the one I want! Lol I'm looking into that for my birthday. I highly doubt ill need more space than that. Even with trades and bombing I plan on moving things fairly quickly when I get into it. That way I may not even breach the 300 count limit. If I get too close or over it ill just send out a bomb or two to bring it back to a more reasonable capacity. Plus coolers don't look as pretty as that humi. :)
    Hehehe, I thought this too, now I have a 25, 50, 100, 150, AND a cooler. The rule that I have found true is that no humi is big enough!
    I'm hoping i get deep enough into all this to get a standing cabinet humi. :)day dreamin!
  • edelrionycedelrionyc Posts: 361 ✭✭✭
    I personally purchase my humidors at b&m's... My humidor is a personal connection to me and one of my favorite hobbies which is cigars... I want to see it and touch it and if i feel that it's feels right i'll buy it. You might get great deals online but i personally don't mind paying a bit more but know that i'm in love with it...
  • insomnniapbinsomnniapb Posts: 590
    have you checked around at any b&m's? Sometimes they have scratch and dent humi's around. I managed to pick up a very nice 200cnt that sealed well and everything for $70. The hygrometer doesn't work.... I never look at the analog hygro anyway though! Just something to think about.
  • RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    edelrionyc:
    I personally purchase my humidors at b&m's... My humidor is a personal connection to me and one of my favorite hobbies which is cigars... I want to see it and touch it and if i feel that it's feels right i'll buy it. You might get great deals online but i personally don't mind paying a bit more but know that i'm in love with it...
    Creepy...;)You could always look at a B&M, then order it online. Best of both worlds.
  • ddubridgeddubridge Posts: 3,978 ✭✭✭
    LiquidChaos66:
    Seriously PM jiunn. I think he still has his availible. I'll see if I can find the thread in TPB to bump.
    I gotta wait till funding comes up sadly... if you do find his thread lemme know!
    So who has a humi with drawers on it? how does that work? are they individually contained and how does the front of the drawer seal enough to keep the humidity in?
    some have drawers on some humi are faux, the ones on my humis are and are not designed to store cigars, they are mainly for you tools of the trade, lighter, cutter, or other stuff you want to keep close to the humi,
    there are some that do have full fuction drawers for cigar storing but i have not used those types,
  • Rail_JockeyRail_Jockey Posts: 805 ✭✭✭
    I bought my little humidor online from right here at ccom
    thedjfish@comcast.net:
    some have drawers on some humi are faux, the ones on my humis are and are not designed to store cigars, they are mainly for you tools of the trade, lighter, cutter, or other stuff you want to keep close to the humi,
    there are some that do have full fuction drawers for cigar storing but i have not used those types,

That'd kinda what I figured for most of them too. Especially since most of their pics online don't even show the drawers open. I don't really plan on getting one with drawers... But one would be nice for my tools... I kinda just leave mine laying around wherever. I'm sure that too will change when I can invest in better quality items though. :)