Home Cigar 101

Humidor & Coolidor bead/litter/gel placement strategy?

Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
Would it matter, for example, if I keep all my kitty litter all at the bottom of my cooler? Or all at the top. What's the scientific answers or reasoning behind where the humidifiers are best placed in our humidors and coolers? Or, if you're NOT a rocket scientist, just tell me what you think is best. (I know I would need to have enough room for the air to move around a little bit. I'm not talking about burying the kitty litter.)

Comments

• RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    I don't think it matters in a humidor. I believe that I have read if you're using a cooler you might want a small fan.
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've read about the Oust air freshener fans that have a self timed cycle. But I also read that they don't make them any more.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can pick them up on eBay sometimes. I bet the little fan gizmo for Playstation would work. But as far as placement of humidifiers. It's my understanding that humidity rises so I would think in the bottom. Mines all sitting on top of my sticks but my humi's are shallow.
  • blurrblurr Posts: 962 ✭✭
    I've heard the oust fans drain batteries every three months. If that's true that can get expensive replacing batteries when electricity is so cheap and simple to tap into. Its not hard to run wires and a DC fan setup into your humi, along with a timer to control how often and for how long the DC fans run. Distribution matters only so much, circulating the air kinda solves bad placement of media for humidification because your air is mixing so often. any help on fans pm me. I can do the wiring and send you a plug and go assembly or schematics.
  • LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭
    blurr:
    I've heard the oust fans drain batteries every three months. If that's true that can get expensive replacing batteries when electricity is so cheap and simple to tap into. Its not hard to run wires and a DC fan setup into your humi, along with a timer to control how often and for how long the DC fans run. Distribution matters only so much, circulating the air kinda solves bad placement of media for humidification because your air is mixing so often. any help on fans pm me. I can do the wiring and send you a plug and go assembly or schematics.

I had a set of rechargeable Duracell batteries that was about $20 and i used regularly. I had them for almost 2 years and they held great charge. I lost them when i moved into my house. :(
    Life is like a blind fiver. You never know what you're gonna get.
    LiquidChaos66:
    blurr:

I had a set of rechargeable Duracell batteries that was about $20 and i used regularly. I had them for almost 2 years and they held great charge. I lost them when i moved into my house. :(
    Such a sad, sad story. Stop bringing us down man! :(
    PM to you Sir :)
    blurr:
    PM to you Sir :)
  • LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭
    Bob Luken:
    LiquidChaos66:
    blurr:

Such a sad, sad story. Stop bringing us down man! :(

Lol! Yeah your tellin me! They were great batteries! Hope I run across them whenninfinish emptying my last few boxes. Oh well. Such is life
    Life is like a blind fiver. You never know what you're gonna get.
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rain:
    I don't think it matters in a humidor. I believe that I have read if you're using a cooler you might want a small fan.
    +1
    I agree with Randy ---- if it's just a regular ol' desktop humidor, it doesn't matter too much because it's small(er).

But the larger the humi, the better off you'll be to keep your humidifiers spread out .... just helps to keep RH consistent, so the sticks are "equally" humidified.
    And the RH will "bounce back" faster after you close the lid, after digging through it for 5 mins to find a smoke.

In my "cooler" --- I keep my beads in 3 different containers, fairly evenly spaced ..... all close to the bottom of the cooler --- 1 on the left, 1 in the middle, and 1 on the right.
    I keep my cigars in cedar boxes though and I keep either a boveda pack or one of the small "shipping" humi-paks in each box.
    My cooler's not that big .... I don't have any fans, and don't worry too much about airflow because I open the lid to let in "fresh air" (at least) once a week, and sort through/look over the cigars every month or two just to make sure they're all doing ok.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

jgibv:
    Rain:
    +1
    I agree with Randy ---- if it's just a regular ol' desktop humidor, it doesn't matter too much because it's small(er).

But the larger the humi, the better off you'll be to keep your humidifiers spread out .... just helps to keep RH consistent, so the sticks are "equally" humidified.
    And the RH will "bounce back" faster after you close the lid, after digging through it for 5 mins to find a smoke.

In my "cooler" --- I keep my beads in 3 different containers, fairly evenly spaced ..... all close to the bottom of the cooler --- 1 on the left, 1 in the middle, and 1 on the right.
    I keep my cigars in cedar boxes though and I keep either a boveda pack or one of the small "shipping" humi-paks in each box.
    My cooler's not that big .... I don't have any fans, and don't worry too much about airflow because I open the lid to let in "fresh air" (at least) once a week, and sort through/look over the cigars every month or two just to make sure they're all doing ok.

How big is a cooler that’s “not that big”? Mine’s 70 quarts. Seems like a great size. I can generally make three separate stacks of boxes. My RH is doing OK. The reason I asked the question is that I just rearranged everything in one cooler and I noticed all the Kitty litter happened to end up on the bottom after I played tetris with all the boxes. So I have kept it that way for a few days and no problems so far. It's pretty full. I keep a hygrometer on top and one on the bottom and they are in sync. I’m still thinking I want a fan in there. I probably don’t need it but I still want it. And speaking of HumiPacks. Has anybody ever done a ziplock bag test with a hygrometer to see if they are as accurate as they claim? I know Bovedas are accurate but I wonder about the HumiPacks.
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bob Luken:
    How big is a cooler that’s “not that big”? Mine’s 70 quarts. Seems like a great size. I can generally make three separate stacks of boxes. My RH is doing OK. The reason I asked the question is that I just rearranged everything in one cooler and I noticed all the Kitty litter happened to end up on the bottom after I played tetris with all the boxes.
    I would think for a 70 qt you got a good setup going.
    IMO, having all your KL in one spot is fine for a cooler that size.
    I just like having mine spread out in small, separate containers because the small bead containers are easier to play "humi tetris" with than one big container, LOL

If you had one of those mega-sized 150+ qt coolers or a big humi tower/cabinet then you'd want to think about fans/airflow.

Bob Luken:
    So I have kept it that way for a few days and no problems so far. It's pretty full. I keep a hygrometer on top and one on the bottom and they are in sync.
    Your cigars are your largest source of humidity ..... and if the cooler's almost full, you won't see a spike in RH.
    Bob Luken:
    I’m still thinking I want a fan in there. I probably don’t need it but I still want it.
    Probably not needed, but if you'll feel better having one in there then I say go for it.
    As long as it's not running 24/7 and drying out your cigars it won't hurt anything.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a 120 qt with a bag of KL in each corner. It is solid and seems to have a very consistent rh top to bottom. Coolers seal so well, if you have enough KL in there, it will just sit stabilize real nice.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • blurrblurr Posts: 962 ✭✭
    I think for a seventy quart, you're fine without fans. I'll still get things together and build a unit to send to you, cause I know you're going to go bigger like we all do. I'll keep it plug and go, so you can use in whatever.
    blurr:
    I think for a seventy quart, you're fine without fans. I'll still get things together and build a unit to send to you, cause I know you're going to go bigger like we all do. I'll keep it plug and go, so you can use in whatever.
    Thanks, Meanwhile I'll study your bio for what you like ;)