Home Non Cigar Related

Whiskey Stones

Has anyone tried these as an alternative to ice? I'm considering the stainless steel versions.

Comments

• ToombesToombes Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭
    I'm pretty sure there was a thread on these in the past, but I'm too lazy to look for it...
    Anywhoo... I believe several of the BOTL have mentioned using them. I haven't picked any up, but I found a cheap alternative. I found a cocktail shaker set up that had plastic "ice cubes" filled with distilled water. Just pop them in the freezer for an hour then toss them in a glass with your favorite libation.
  • NOBLE 6NOBLE 6 Posts: 34
    Sounds like a good idea. My bad for not searching.
    No worries, bro. I do it all the time, especially when I'm home with no wifi. AT&T's Edge network is super slow and burns up my battery pretty quickly.
    Regarding the stones, the brothers who have used them all give favorable comments. Ya gotta love the fact that you can chill your booze without having it watered down.
  • NOBLE 6NOBLE 6 Posts: 34
    I read up on them here and it appears most people liked them. Guess I'll invest $10 and try them out. Tired of my brandy getting dilluted. Sucks about your slow internet.
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    NOBLE 6:
    Has anyone tried these as an alternative to ice? I'm considering the stainless steel versions.

FYI, whiskey stones aren't intended as an alternative to ice. Their function is not to keep your drink cool, it's merely to lower the temp a few degrees less than the room temp at which the whiskey is normally stored. This aids in the dissipation of the ethanol in the whiskey which is what causes the burning sensation when you drink it. At least that's the way they're described on the web.

If you want to keep your dring cool, use ice or the other substitutions for ice. The stones aren't the answer. Mine work just as described......
    Then, I was mistaken. Thanks for the info, Marty!
  • Rail_JockeyRail_Jockey Posts: 805 ✭✭✭
    jlmarta:
    NOBLE 6:

FYI, whiskey stones aren't intended as an alternative to ice. Their function is not to keep your drink cool, it's merely to lower the temp a few degrees less than the room temp at which the whiskey is normally stored. This aids in the dissipation of the ethanol in the whiskey which is what causes the burning sensation when you drink it. At least that's the way they're described on the web.

If you want to keep your dring cool, use ice or the other substitutions for ice. The stones aren't the answer. Mine work just as described......
    Marty I see your back. How are things going?
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Marty hit it right. I like using the stones cuz they do keep the drink a bit cooler and there is no watering down of the drink. I don't like using the plastic as they do get that plastic taste after a while. I paid 20 for a box of 9 stones and think they work just fine. Sadly many people think they will freeze your drink or something and thus they have got a lot of bad reviews, just look on amazon.
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rail Jockey:
    jlmarta:
    NOBLE 6:

Marty I see your back. How are things going?

I'm doing as well as can be expected, I guess. The surgery was successful and they got all the cancer. Now I'm into a maintenance regime of chemo off and on for a couple months. Hopefully, that'll be the end of it except for periodic check ups after that. Thanks for asking, my friend.....
  • bbass2bbass2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭
    Thanks for explaining that Marty. My wife gave me a box of 9 and I was disappointed because they didn't keep the drink cool long enough.