Home Cigar 101

Cigars to develop palate

MAJORdorMoMAJORdorMo Posts: 356
I've been smoking cigars for a few months now, but I have trouble identifying how the tastes in a cigar (leather, caramel, espresso, etc).
Could you guys post some cigars where one flavor REALLY stands out? Like, one that has a strong leather taste, nutty taste, caramel, chocolate, espresso, etc.

Thanks CCOM!

Comments

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    cedar --- partagas black

coco/coffee --- Sancho Panza double maduro

nutty --- punch gran puro
  • Renaissance_ManRenaissance_Man Posts: 973 ✭✭
    pure ash - sol cubano cuban cabinet... sorry had to write that.. it is the most distinct flavor i have ever gotten out of a cigar... :(
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    Come on, now...that's just...really? I like Cuban cabinets. Huh.

I had a Gurkha Regent last week that tasted like a leather bomb.
  • Garen BGaren B Posts: 977
    bigharpoon:
    Come on, now...that's just...really? I like Cuban cabinets. Huh.

I had a Gurkha Regent last week that tasted like a leather bomb.
    Really? I don't remember the Regent having a ton of leather, more of a smooth earthy flavor.
  • GoldyGoldy Posts: 1,638 ✭✭
    Dont forget about the raisins in the Verdadero Organic
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Yeah garen, I remember this one being a smoke bomb.. earthy, nutty and moments of sweetness, but not really leather.. Just the way some perceive a taste.
  • cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    Graycliff 1666 is good for strong coffee flavors in the presidente size, not sure about the other sizes.
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    Could be earthy, I'm not that good at picking out flavors. I just remember a really strong flavor and thinking "wow, that's leathery". I guess I should have thought "wow, that's earthy!" Oh well, I'll keep trying.
    Hey harp, Earth, leather, what's the difference what we call it as long as you like 'em..
  • clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm with you on this one. I just got into cigars earlier this year (although I've always enjoyed a good cigar for years now) and I too have trouble distinguishing flavors unless they're just really blatant. I tried at first and then I think my Taoistic tendencies began to kick in and I decided to stop "naming" the flavors and just either enjoy them or don't enjoy them. This seems work for me right now. Maybe I'll become more complex as time continues but I probably wouldn't bet on it.

Oh, and would someone please tell me what "B&M" stands for? I've been trying to figure it out on my own or catch someone actually spelling it out for me without looking like a total newbie, but this hasn't happened yet. I'm sure it's a lot more simple than I'm trying to make it.
    >> today while I was enjoying a 5 Vegas Miami I got a flavor that screamed Butterscotch, it lasted a couple of minutes but was very distinct to me.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    kaspera79:
    >> today while I was enjoying a 5 Vegas Miami I got a flavor that screamed Butterscotch, it lasted a couple of minutes but was very distinct to me.
    It's not butterscotch dammit...it's Werther's Original. Don't you even know your flavors Kas??!!! :)
  • ThewelderThewelder Posts: 682 ✭✭

clearlysuspect:
    Oh, and would someone please tell me what "B&M" stands for? I've been trying to figure it out on my own or catch someone actually spelling it out for me without looking like a total newbie, but this hasn't happened yet. I'm sure it's a lot more simple than I'm trying to make it.

It stands for Brick&Mortar. Don't worry about it happens to the best of us.

clearlysuspect:
    I'm with you on this one. I just got into cigars earlier this year (although I've always enjoyed a good cigar for years now) and I too have trouble distinguishing flavors unless they're just really blatant. I tried at first and then I think my Taoistic tendencies began to kick in and I decided to stop "naming" the flavors and just either enjoy them or don't enjoy them. This seems work for me right now. Maybe I'll become more complex as time continues but I probably wouldn't bet on it.
    That's what I'm figure out now these past few months, I really started to try to pick out flavors, but then I realized that I stressed myself out more by trying so hard to figure out what I was tasting and was missing the entire point of smoking a cigar. So I sit back, light up and relax to the sounds of the critters outside.
    j0z3r:
    kaspera79:
    It's not butterscotch dammit...it's Werther's Original. Don't you even know your flavors Kas??!!! :)
    I'm going to have to try it again with that in mind.. Perhaps you are correct Big Joe.
    Garen B:
    clearlysuspect:
    That's what I'm figure out now these past few months, I really started to try to pick out flavors, but then I realized that I stressed myself out more by trying so hard to figure out what I was tasting and was missing the entire point of smoking a cigar. So I sit back, light up and relax to the sounds of the critters outside.

I've been a huge fan of wine for nearly a decade now. My sister, her husband, my wife, and I love going to multiple wine festivals in Virginia every year. I always here these self-proclaimed wine connoisseurs talking about the different flavors I'm supposed to be tasting. Benjamin Franklin was stated, "Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy." I don't think he derived that statement by nitpicking the hell out of all the wine's flavors. I try to keep this same concept in mind when I enjoy a cigar.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    kaspera79:
    j0z3r:
    kaspera79:
    I'm going to have to try it again with that in mind.. Perhaps you are correct Big Joe.
    This whole thing about what flavor is what always tickles me. No two sets of taste buds are exactly the same, though they do serve the same function, so how can two people experience the same taste the same way? And so much of it is subjective perception that everything else just goes right out the window. I think the most important part is that we're able to discern these flavors and pick up on them, not that we all identify them as the same thing.
    j0z3r:
    kaspera79:
    j0z3r:
    kaspera79:
    This whole thing about what flavor is what always tickles me. No two sets of taste buds are exactly the same, though they do serve the same function, so how can two people experience the same taste the same way? And so much of it is subjective perception that everything else just goes right out the window. I think the most important part is that we're able to discern these flavors and pick up on them, not that we all identify them as the same thing.
    Here here! I'm sure anyone here who has half decent taste buds can taste the different flavors and appreciate them. Labelling them is a different concept and a much less important concept in my opinion. Hell, you can devise alphanumeric codes for all intensive purposes, just so long as you understand the codes and which codes you like and dislike.
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    clearlysuspect:
    j0z3r:
    kaspera79:
    j0z3r:
    kaspera79:
    Here here! I'm sure anyone here who has half decent taste buds can taste the different flavors and appreciate them. Labelling them is a different concept and a much less important concept in my opinion. Hell, you can devise alphanumeric codes for all intensive purposes, just so long as you understand the codes and which codes you like and dislike.
    I'm partial to 4a69... that flavor is always present in "Playboy" cigars
    Lasabar:
    clearlysuspect:
    j0z3r:
    kaspera79:
    j0z3r:
    kaspera79:
    Just looked up that taste code Lassy, it was Essence of Hefner...
    Lasabar:
    clearlysuspect:
    j0z3r:
    kaspera79:
    j0z3r:
    kaspera79:
    LOL. Nice!
  • Renaissance_Man:
    pure ash - sol cubano cuban cabinet... sorry had to write that.. it is the most distinct flavor i have ever gotten out of a cigar... :(
    Lol sorry it had to be that way
  • T. GervaisT. Gervais Posts: 239
    I definently got raisins from the verdadero. other than that it was pretty boring though
  • Renaissance_ManRenaissance_Man Posts: 973 ✭✭
    T. Gervais:
    I definently got raisins from the verdadero. other than that it was pretty boring though
    Second that.... It was very consistent (in exchange of Gervais' boring) and I liked it as a smoke that did not distract me from anything else I did... This would be the perfect thing to smoke while engaged in some other activity where you cant pay too much attention to the nuances that ur cigar offers...
  • Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    Renaissance_Man:
    T. Gervais:
    Second that.... It was very consistent (in exchange of Gervais' boring) and I liked it as a smoke that did not distract me from anything else I did... This would be the perfect thing to smoke while engaged in some other activity where you cant pay too much attention to the nuances that ur cigar offers...
    Yeah. That's a good one for when I am setting up the charcoal. A bit of flavor I can notice, but not so strong that it leaves much of an after taste to ruin/effect the food.