Home Cigar 101

mold on beads ?

i have 2 2 oz clear hartfelt bead holder in my 100 count humi .  i was adding water to them when i noticed one if them had dark brown spots on the beads, not many but enough to notice.
i checked other one and found no spots. all my sticks look clean also. i removed the suspicious holder from service, now the question is do beads go bad or turn dark after prolonged use ?

Comments

• CigaryCigary Posts: 630
    I've had this happen to me as well and it's one of the reasons why I don't use beads. Over time ( in my experience....2 years ) my beads grew to be discolored and then I noticed the dark spots and I am very careful with beads...DW only and I would spray it over the beads. There are debates over why this happens and others will say they've never had problems like this but for me...I have learned that it does happen and it was enough for me to change medias to protect my cigars.
  • RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    Never had it happen to me, but mold can grow on anything in your humi.Somewhere out there, someone had mold grow on a Boveda packet and will now never use them.At some point, years down the road, beads will stop working. As for turning dark, be careful that it's not lose tobacco that is falling on them. I had this happen and felt dumb haha. I've never heard or seen them go dark, but stranger things have happened. Don't let this turn you off to them though. They are cheaper then Boveda packs and require less work the kitty litter, IMHO.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beads do have a tendency to darken over time is my understanding. The beads in my small disc are a light brown color but still works. I've heard this is due to them absorbing oils from the cigars.
  • blurrblurr Posts: 962 ✭✭
    Cigary:
    I've had this happen to me as well and it's one of the reasons why I don't use beads. Over time ( in my experience....2 years ) my beads grew to be discolored and then I noticed the dark spots and I am very careful with beads...DW only and I would spray it over the beads. There are debates over why this happens and others will say they've never had problems like this but for me...I have learned that it does happen and it was enough for me to change medias to protect my cigars.
    I gotta ask, what media have you been using that is better for your setup than beads Gary? My beads are brown all over, and I mean they're getting brown on the top layers. But no mold they're just getting to be slightly brownish. But they still work like a champ.
  • smokey64smokey64 Posts: 6
    thanks for the feed back brothers. if the beads change color naturally then im ok with it. i think ill empty the holder and look a little closer better safe then sorry. 
  • RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    blurr:
    Cigary:
    I gotta ask, what media have you been using that is better for your setup than beads Gary? My beads are brown all over, and I mean they're getting brown on the top layers. But no mold they're just getting to be slightly brownish. But they still work like a champ.
    Kitty litter.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    if the color on the beads looks like the beads themselves are turning color, you are fine. if it looks like there are spots on top of the beads then it may be mold.
  • CigaryCigary Posts: 630
    Here's the real story...I like beads and they work but as I've said before my collection was getting out of control and to buy as much beads as I needed would have cost me hundreds of dollars...probably as high as $600. A friend of mine talked me into KL and I was one of the many who said...nope...not gonna put stuff in my humidors that little felines like to pee on. I kept that attitude for a couple of years and finally started my own experiment with KL and started with humidors I had that were 100-150 count humidors. I did what my friend told me to do and darn if my RH did hold like a rock. I watched it over a week waiting for it to dip or climb or turn my cigars into rotting pieces of tobacco....it just stayed at 65% and so I smoked one after a few weeks and .....normal, completely normal. So, I did what any good cigar scientist would do...started another experiment with another humidor and voila'...same story. Again, I did more humidors and after the 4th one I was sold...this stuff was like finding gold and the best thing...cheap! An 8 pound jug went for lest than $12 and I'm on my second jug with all of my humidors and I still have plenty of KL left for another 5 years. RH media is a personal choice and when you do your homework with it KL is something that works very well...just as well as beads IMO because I've use(d) both and it's the next best thing to a guarantee that you can have.