Home Ratings & Reviews
Options

Question on taste, specifically pepper

Hello,
I'm new to posting here so please forgive any offences. I have been figuring out what I like in a cigar for quite a while. Until recently I had decided that if the description said pepper, I did not like it. This is not because I don’t like pepper, but description novice me, tended to not enjoy many of the cigars described as such…
My current happy cigar is the Alec Bradley Maxx Brazil. I enjoy every one I have smoked. They burn well, despite some reviews I have read. They taste and smoke simply good.
Tonight I smoked a Legado De Pepin (in the hot tub with a wonderful scotch) that I received from my monthly shipment. I have recently made an effort to not read the descriptions before smoking the sticks. I truly enjoyed it. It was a happy smoke from start to finish, no problems. Just light and enjoy, perfect for my evening soak. Granted when talking cigars that is a good and blah thing. I tasted none of the harsh ‘pepper’ that I had had problems with other cigars. I just laid back and enjoyed. I will admit that it was good enough to look up some reviews (others have not been… thanks, smoked it – not gonna buy it, etc). Lo and behold it is described as what I have avoided.
Anyone want to school a (somewhat) newbe? Please respond here or directly at ToroSD@****.net
Thanks!
Toro (actually had that nickname before I got into cigars...)

Comments

• Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You were confusing me for a minute, because when I see Pepin in the name, I usually get pepper in the cigar. Perhaps you slowed down your rate of smoking on this cigar enough for the "pepper" not to be overwhelming?
    Use the search button, find Kuzi's thread on developing your palate, you will learn a lot.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    All things Kuzi

Click on that link and start reading. You'll go from n00b to...well, n00b with too much info, lol...in no time flat. Then get to smoking.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    you gentlemen are too kind
  • Options
    kgrandekgrande Posts: 15
    Maybe the scotch affected your palate and evened out the pepper notes.  What cigars did you previously try which had a pepper flavor that you didn't like?
  • Options
    Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Please note that there are different peppers...to me don pepin has more of a white pepper which is more commonly noticed through the retro hale...where as perdomo has a very black pepper that is mostly felt through my lips and tongue. Then you can get into all the rest of the peppers of the world and yeah it can be a bit overwhelming! Being a cig and cigar smoker I always retro hale which to me give greater flavors and can distinguish the different notes that may be stated
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    KCWKCW Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭
    I was the same way. Don't confuse Pepper with Harshness or what I call "Bite". An unpleasant burning sensation in the back of the throat (that can occur for many reasons). When I get Pepper notes its usually a pleasant spice note which can be overwhelming (to me) as I tend to shy away from Peppery cigars also. I tend to find the Dominican cigars "smoother". Keep testing. You'll figure it out.
  • Options
    Chuck_NChuck_N Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭
    I love the bite of peppery cigar. The tat reserva regius 2013 is my favorite right now.
  • Options
    CigarMan37CigarMan37 Posts: 432
    Gotta love Alec Bradley and the Alec Bradley Maxx. The Legado De Pepin is also very good as well makes me also want a scotch in a hot tub.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Wow, sounds like you know how to smoke! hot tube and a scotch! btw what scotch? Anyway, yeah pepper is basically what it is, peppery or hot... depending on how one views pepper. Like what was said earlier, pepper is not referring to bitterness or a "hot" cigar meaning too young or that burning so to speak. Some people are more sensitive to pepper than others, though sounds like you are not which is a good thing because there are a lot of smokes that do have a pepper strength to them.

peppin makes some good cigars. A lot like the my father line, though I have not enjoyed them as much. There was a conni wrapper one that I did however. The 601 Maduro is a great cigar though I don't think it has much pepper in it. I personally liked to see how much I could take, so I had a punisher and a couple of other ones. I found that I like pepper but not cigars that just have it to kill your pallet.