Home Cigar 101

humidipak vs boveda

webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
Yesterday I was prepping a bomb for a non-BOTL in distant Oregon, a feller who smoked his first cigar just the other day. My closest local B&M is chronically out of water pillows (I wonder why). The B&M on the way to the office has never heard of water pillows (please stick to lottery tickets). In desperation, I rode to Otter's Pocket, cause I know they love it wet. No water pillows. But they do have a sizable display of Bovedas for five bucks a pop, and big jar of these Humidipaks for one buck a pop. Naturally, being accustomed to pauperism, I spent five for five, rather than five for one. It'll get ten sticks to Oregon, I'm sure. Then this morning, I see a video Boveda ad (herbal medicine conditioners, forsooth!) which states that both these products are from the same company.

So what's the diff?

Setting aside the almost religious prejudice prevailing here as elsewhere that more money always == more better....

-- Are they filled with the same guts?
-- Do they do the same thing?
-- What am I missing?

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

Comments

• RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    If you ask Bob Luken, he'll say you should just mail the gars with kitty litter.Seriously...I have no idea. I'm with you, they'll at least get cigars to Oregon. You should throw a hygrometer in a bag along with a cheapo and see what RH it reads.
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    webmost:
    Yesterday I was prepping a bomb for a non-BOTL in distant Oregon, a feller who smoked his first cigar just the other day. My closest local B&M is chronically out of water pillows (I wonder why). The B&M on the way to the office has never heard of water pillows (please stick to lottery tickets). In desperation, I rode to Otter's Pocket, cause I know they love it wet. No water pillows. But they do have a sizable display of Bovedas for five bucks a pop, and big jar of these Humidipaks for one buck a pop. Naturally, being accustomed to pauperism, I spent five for five, rather than five for one. It'll get ten sticks to Oregon, I'm sure. Then this morning, I see a video Boveda ad (herbal medicine conditioners, forsooth!) which states that both these products are from the same company.

So what's the diff?

Setting aside the almost religious prejudice prevailing here as elsewhere that more money always == more better....

-- Are they filled with the same guts?
    -- Do they do the same thing?
    -- What am I missing?

I think the buck-a-packs are intended for shipping and temporary storage, but the five-a-packs are meant for humidors and long-term storage. Judging by the same video you're referring to, I'd imagine the difference is the amount of stuff that's inside, so theoretically the more expensive one can do more (at least 5 times as much?) "work"(his word from the video) than the cheaper one. But really who knows.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    the difference is $4

but seriously, size, color, packaging.
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Id go with the cheapies for shipping! And if you need more let me know... I save pretty much every pillow I get in orders. I can definitely mail you a few. (10-15)
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • kingjk729kingjk729 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭
    Yeah the cheapies are just for temporary but I can tell you that they can be recharged and are extremely cost effective for bombs
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    kingjk729:
    Yeah the cheapies are just for temporary but I can tell you that they can be recharged and are extremely cost effective for bombs
    What? They can? How do you recharge them?

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

Gray4lines:
    Id go with the cheapies for shipping! And if you need more let me know... I save pretty much every pillow I get in orders. I can definitely mail you a few. (10-15)
    At's real nice of you, but now that I know where to score humidipaks for a buck a pop I am golden.

Please correct me if I'm wrong on any of the following information, but we should not confuse Humipacks with Humicare pillows. Yes, the Humipacks are the same as Boveda and perform the same way and come in different sizes and RH levels. The little water pillows we get from ccom with our orders are Humicare brand water pillows which are refillable and claim on the label to regulate at 67% RH. Which brings up another question. Has anybody tested these with a hygrometer to see if you get the advertised RH? And is it possible to over stuff them with distilled water and get an undesirable and very high RH? (I don't want to threadjack your post. Plus I want to get as much feedback as possible so, I'll start a separate thread for these questions.)
    Humidipak:

LOL and I wasn't even SPELLING it right.
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Same thing, new packaging, old one being phased out, buy them up
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Bob Luken:
    Please correct me if I'm wrong on any of the following information, but we should not confuse Humipacks with Humicare pillows. Yes, the Humipacks are the same as Boveda and perform the same way and come in different sizes and RH levels. The little water pillows we get from ccom with our orders are Humicare brand water pillows which are refillable and claim on the label to regulate at 67% RH. Which brings up another question. Has anybody tested these with a hygrometer to see if you get the advertised RH? And is it possible to over stuff them with distilled water and get an undesirable and very high RH? (I don't want to threadjack your post. Plus I want to get as much feedback as possible so, I'll start a separate thread for these questions.)
    I use a heartfelt tube with 65% beads along with a few Waterpillow in my humidors. The RH level is always between 65 and 70. I don't know which device causes the fluctuation but I'm okay with the results.
  • AVJimAVJim Posts: 449
    catfishbluezz:
    Same thing, new packaging, old one being phased out, buy them up

Yup, same thing, same company, different names.
    "I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member"